Guest viewing is limited

MUA 11 Months Ouch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all
I just got back from my 3rd visit to my os he has suggested eithet getting an mua or going on the jas system. Has anyone been on the jas system I really do not want s mua done the fact that they force ably bend your knee really scares me.I have read up on the jas system and seems like the way to go to fix my stiff knee. I have been stuck at 70 rom for 2 weeks and have tried very hard at trying to get further just can not get past the pain. My pt has suggested the jas I have been 9wks since my tkr anddo continue to do daily workouts.
 
Hi there, I hadn't even heard of this before, so I googled it and for interest here's the link.
broken link removed: https://www.jointactivesystems.com/mm/files/JAS_Knee_Instructions.pdf
After reading it, I'm not sure why this supposed to work if normal bending exercises aren't doing the job.
 
Looked like a medieval torture machine! :). Not sure if you're at the point of needing MUA (maybe Josephine can address this), but it seems like those who have had it said it wasn't painful and seems to do the trick.
 
Until you get an answer to your questions, take a look at the Library here on this webpage (at the top, in the grey bar). It contains a collection of very helpful Articles on various topics regarding knee replacement.

Soon someone will swoop in to answer your questions. My apologies, but I cannot.

Remember: Elevate! Elevate! Elevate!
 
Don't be scared of an MUA. It might sound brutal but it's not really. But the JAS system might help. You are after all, only 11 weeks out so no rush to do an MUA. It can wait months if you find the JAS doesn't work.
 
Saw my os again today told me I needed to have mua done asap but I am afraid getting this done will just set me back. Went to pt after seeing os and she does not like mua worked on my knee got only rom of 72 after 9wks. Should I refuse the mua and hope time will improve my rom?
 
@maryo52 do you have some thoughts on this?
 
Went to pt after seeing os and she does not like mua worked on my knee got only rom of 72 after 9wks. Should I refuse the mua and hope time will improve my rom?

I found myself in the exact same situation.

One of the things I have had to learn as a nurse is when to say something and when not to say something. There are many reports on this forum of PTs speaking in a way that is not helpful, and I believe this is true of your PT. It was unethical of your PT to express his or her feelings about MUA. This undermines your therpeutic relationship with your ortho.

Some physios think everything can be solved with PT. I was told if "I worked hard," I would (might, maybe) get decent ROM in time. I'd rather wait until I end up in the hot hereafter to find out how fun that would be!

Ultimately, I was found to have significant adhesions, including a 1/4" band that tethered my quad to the bone. THere is no way these would've been broken in PT, and in fact, the inflammation caused by PT was making the situation worse!!! All these structures need to slide by each other; the scar tissue or adhesions keep those structures from sliding. That's why our ROM gets stuck at 72. Your situation couldn't be more textbook for MUA.

I know I didn't want MUA, in fact dreaded it before the subject even came up. I mean, enough is enough, right? It's almost like going to remedial reading class, or being demoted, etc. But it's the treatment of choice for what you've got.

The JAS system was designed primarily for extension problems, BTW. I looked into it as well. But it's your knee and your decision.
 
Again I'd just question why this system would be effective if normal exercises aren't, they essentially do the same thing. Good luck in any case:cheers:
 
I went back to the JAS website and quote below their explanation of how the device works. It sounds like a great approach and not at all an instrument of torture. Note, though, that it talks about lengthening "shortened tissues." In the scar tissue situation, yes, there are shortened tissues; but there are also adhesions which, as I explained earlier, keep tissues from sliding alongside each other. Our many muscles are sheathed with a thin, slippery fascia that allows each muscle to lengthen while its neighboring muscles lengthen. When they are adhered, they don't lengthen. I do not recall reading that anyone on here has gained ROM using a static progressive splint, but that's not to say it won't work for you. In fact, if you do follow through, please keep us regularly updated about your progress and experiences. It would be quite a useful piece of information for the many who come to this forum because of ROM issues. Yes, it is different than other routines because it is sustained.

"Stress relaxation and low-load stretch are established stretching techniques that safely and efficiently restore normal length to shortened tissues surrounding a joint, allowing for motion and use when stiffness develops after injury. Stress relaxation and low-load stretch can be carried out by hand (via a therapist) or by using JAS and JAS EZ product systems. During a stress relaxation and low-load stretch therapy session, the joint is brought to a pain-free stretched position and held there for several minutes, to allow for the surrounding tissues to relax and lengthen. Once this occurs the joint is stretched and held again, and more lengthening is achieved. This process is repeated several times to complete a JAS treatment session."
 
Going to see my os for the 3rd time in 3 weeks told me that if I could not get to 90 rom he would do a mua. I would like to try the jas over an mua. My rom is at 75 after 11 weeks will I get more rom or try jas? I have no pain just stiffness I am hoping that time wull heal my knee and get back some rom.
 
Will you get more ROM? Is 75 a hard stop or does your ROM vary day to day?

If it varies, then you would might consider delaying MUA a bit and going after the swelling and maybe giving the JAS a try. You kind of have to work with your ortho. Each one has a different comfort zone for doing MUA. But at your stage, while you may gain ROM, 75 is low and a strong indicator that your knee needs more help than PT can provide.

Your reluctance and apprehension about MUA is totally normal. But, in my personal opinion, I think you are delaying the inevitable. There's a current thread by someone who just had MUA, and many many others in the archives. Few, if any, say "I regret underoing MUA."
 
Saw my os again he has booked me for a mua next tuesday not a big fan of this but my knee has not improved in 3wks my rom is stuck at 75. I want to get back to the sports I like to do such as bowling & golf maybe this mua will work and not set me back to far.
 
not a big fan of this
I think the MUA Fan Club has yet to sign up even one member!

I just looked up "St. Catherine's" and see that it's near Niagara Falls -- an area I hope to see sometime.

So you have about a week . . . which is a good amount of time for resting your leg like crazy, icing and elevating, and I'd also suggest no PT. There's no point, and reducing the inflammation will minimize the trauma of the MUA.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom