TKR 11/11/2014 - my recovery journal

Status
Not open for further replies.
@sandbar525 Great to see you are still doing really well in your recovery. It seems to me after reading lots of posts that the first 4 weeks are hard because it's uncomfortable but at least things happen but maybe after that you need even more patience because there's still much recovering to do and progress is slower.
I'm only at 3 weeks and two days and my patience reserves are nearly as low as the Russian rouble!
Hey ho! We'll get there eventually :umm::umm:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Today has been a bit of a challenge. ROM is still very good but having more pain today. Even though I consistently ice both back and front, the back of my knee has been bothering me more today. I think there must be more interior swelling because the area in the crease of the back of my knee is very puffy (more than usual). Today also has been a day of "migratory pain", a phrase coined I think by @referee54 - pain in my shin, behind my knee, down the outside of my leg, etc. Whine, whine, whine! I really am doing quite well overall, today has just been a bit of a downer in the overall scheme of things. I know I'm still early in the recovery process and it is not a linear process but I guess I'm having a one day only pity party! :)
 
Sending you a big hug. Hope things improve today for you. I've had a few of those days too but it passes. The pain is so unpredictable. Today's problem for me is scabs! It'll be something else tomorrow :hairpulling:.
I get the puffy bit behind the knee too - swells up, goes down, swells up, goes down . Frustrating times.
Whine away.:elevate: It's good to sound off on here.
Take care today
Mary x
 
Thanks so much Mary @SuperSnapper ...for the most part my posts have all been fairly positive since that was what really was happening. However, since this is my recovery journal, I felt it was important to document the challenges as well...in the interest of full disclosure! :) Hope you have a good day, too and thanks again for your support. Now it's time to rest, ice, elevate and medicate!
 
Tut @sandbar525 party and no ogre. Yup we get days of pain.days of feeling it will never end but then.as you have so.superbly. done realise heck I am doing ok. Nice one and.nae ogreless parties RRRRRRROOOOOAR

Legin THR Sep 14
 
What a difference a day makes! Yesterday I threw myself a tiny pity party for one but have done a complete 180 today. Feeling very good. Had my 6 week follow up with OS and everything is great. ROM is 120/0 and xrays are perfect. As I mentioned very early on, I have no stairs at home so haven't tried any until today. When I drove up to OS office, rather than take the ramp as I have been doing, I walked up the 6 steps into the lobby...foot over foot without any problem or hesitation! Going down was easy too, albeit a tiny bit slower. Also, took a tub bath this evening. I've been sticking to showers because I wasn't sure about getting in and out of tub but found it easier to do than pre-op! The warm water felt heavenly on my quads, etc. Still taking tramadol/tylenol at 6-noon & 6 with 2 norco at midnight but think I may try to drop off the noon tramadol (tylenol only) tomorrow and see how it goes. Well, hope everyone is having a good day, whether pre-op or post-op. Hugs to all! :)
 
@sandbar525. Glad things turned around for you. A positive OS checkup is always great for the spirits! The bath sounds heavenly. I have not tried yet. But I am thinking of doing water aerobics at my health club starting in January.

Well done!!! Thanks for posting your meds. Gives me some ideas on my next steps!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
What a difference a day makes is right.....way to go....we are only 3 days apart from surgery and you will notice an improvement in leaps and bounds...well maybe not leaps and bounds because they are verboten but certainly going down stairs which has been my biggest challenge and 120 is terrific I am not quite there yet.....Best wishes

Vincent:dancing:
 
@sandbar525,

Such wonderful news! I am so happy to hear about your progress!:happydance: Keep going at a steady but cautious not to the point of overdoing it, and you will be "dancing the night away" before you know it!:wowspring::friends::cool:
 
I'd like to pose a question to all post-op BoneSmarties...I'm doing great overall. Recovery has been uneventful, excellent ROM, walking stairs normally, no problem with gait, etc. However, the only kinker in things lately is a pain behind my knee when I flex past about 115 or so. I find if I press the area behind my knee while flexing, the pain isn't as great. I'm assuming this is just part of the healing process but was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience. It's so wonderful to have a forum such as this to ask for advice that you know is based on first hand experience. Thanks so much! :)
 
That's very interesting. I have been having a little bit of pain in the back of my knee lately but I think it is because I am working to regain some of my extension that seemed to disappear. More noticeable is some localized pain in the lower front of my knee which is very different than I have had before. I also find that my pain levels are very inconsistent now (I'm 7+weeks post op). One day I have a great day and feel better than ever, and then on other days I am quite uncomfortable. Sounds like you are doing very well overall.
 
Hi Sandbar...nice to hear you doing so well....certainly you should ask your surgeon my understanding is that not everyone has acl's and other tendons removed depending on the surgical technique used...like you I can get to 115 with no problem but have to really crank out anything above that and it burns but I don't think think we need to be more than that anyway..like Cynrob I get the odd burning in the front of my left knee and the inside of my right and they just tell me there is still a lot going on in there.........some days I clunk with every step and others no clunking and I have still not gotten an answer for clunking but many of us experience it ...keep up the great work..
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect it's part of the healing process. especially given how early you are in your recovery.

I had an area behind (slightly to the outside) the knee that bothered me for weeks doing stairs after most of the rest of the knee pain was gone. It eventually just went away. But I did continue to ice the back of the knee.
 
Thanks very much @kneeper I remember reading of post of Josephine's that said her pain actually increased a little at around six weeks and then went back down. Could be what I'm experiencing. It is a very slight up-tick to a really smooth recovery process so I'm not worried. Wanted to include it in my journal as a way of keeping track of the total experience.
 
It's a great idea to keep track of high's and low's so that people see that we are not "Super Hero's" when they read our posts months or even years after we have recovered. It is so important for them to see the highs and lows so they will know what they are feeling is normal. :friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom