TKR 11/11/2014 - my recovery journal

Status
Not open for further replies.
:santa hug:6 Weeks: Well, it was just 6 weeks ago today that I was being wheeled into surgery. What a journey it has been thus far! Here's where I'm at today:
- Off all meds except 1,000 mg Tylenol 3x/day and 15mg Meloxicam 1x/day
- Only use a cane when going outside side (a little for stability but more for "crowd control")
- Normal gait, albeit a little slow
- Sleep slowly returning to normal (last night slept from midnight to 8:30 this morning)
- Stairs no problem (up/down step over step) but still need to use the railing
- ROM last measured at 120/0
- Still ice a couple of times a day (30+ minutes each time)
- Still get some heat from knee but PA says that is due to metabolism working overtime on healing so not concerned
- Energy slowing coming back but careful not to overdo activity
- Stopped warfarin and threw away the TEDS...yippee!
- 30 minutes on stationary bike every afternoon with seat in normal position, still no tension (maybe next week)
I realize that I have been very fortunate in my recovery. It has really been pretty uneventful. I truly believe it is because I have followed the BoneSmart mantras faithfully! This forum has been an invaluable partner in my recovery and I am exceeding thankful to the advisors, moderators and participants! Hugs all around. :santa hug:
 
@sandbar525 well what can I say I know I normaly am not stuck.for words. Ok inspiration superstar guiding light. Well done have the bestest of crimbles I plan to.raise a glass to all bonesmarties at midday uk time.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Great report @sandbar525! You are doing swimmingly. Soon it will be the beach. I'm impressed that you are able to get off the stronger meds. The bike is calling me and I say HI to it in passing when I'm in the basement, but I haven't actually approached it for permission to sit. Maybe, you have inspired me to take that step. Good work, patience and perseverance on your part.
 
Week 7: Nothing much different from week 6. ROM still slowly improving. Pain behind knee when at maximum bend is lessening. Only take Tylenol sometimes once a day plus 15mg Meloxicam every morning. Sleep is good except my clock needs to be reset. I'm staying awake until early am and then sleeping until noon. Have to work on changing that since I'm going back to work on Monday. Actually looking forward to getting back into a routine. Wishing everyone a very Happy New Year!
 
Great progress @sandbar525 . You really have done so well! And your positive reports have certainly helped me in my recovery. Thanks so much. I hope your return to work goes well. I can understand your need to get back into a routine. Happy New Year to you too.
 
Great update @sandbar525! You'll quickly shift your sleep pattern. Your first day back at work will probably see you heading straight for bed when you walk in the door. Hopefully your workday gives you a chance to alternate sitting and walking frequently.

2015 is our year for walking the beaches of the Pacific Northwest, yeah!!
 
Happy New Year, @sandbar525 ! Another great report. Glad all is well. Here's to going back to work on Monday! I might actually do a bit tomorrow - at least call or visit tech support as my laptop is not up to date on all it should be! Enjoy the remaining time, and have a healthy, happy 2015!
 
Haven't posted for a while but wanted to give a "back to work" update. Went back to work on 1/5 (at 8 weeks). That week was very rough. Only worked 4 hours / 4 days but was wrung out by Friday. The next week went a little better. Worked 6 hours a day / 5 days. Still had so little energy. This week I have been working full time and it's going even a little better. I am able to elevate and ice for 1 hour in the middle of my day and I do take 2 extra strength tylenol once during the day. That is the only meds I now need. I went back at 8 weeks because I had exhausted my leave time but I would recommend not going back until 10 weeks if at all possible. Here's a recap of my progress:

- ROM 0/126
- released from PT
- walking without any limp
- stairs no problem although I do use a railing (but not to pull me up as when pre-op)
- sleep has returned to normal
- energy level has just about returned to normal (I'd say at about 90%)
- a little stiffness upon rising but is gone by my 2nd step
- can rise from sitting without using arms
- still some swelling (especially after walking longer distances)
- still a little heat around incision (especially after more activity)
- no pain meds except for occasional Extra Strength Tylenol
- riding my stationary bike 45 minutes a day with seat back to normal height

I wouldn't hesitate to have my other knee done should the need arise. While I haven't reached the point where I don't think about my new knee, it is wonderful not to have the constant arthritis pain that was present pre-op. Any residual discomfort I'm still feeling as I continue to heal is nothing compared to the pre-op pain. Hugs all around!
 
Brill report v factual sorry you had such a tiring time
 
Great to hear from you. Glad things are going well. I agree that 10 weeks is a much more reasonable time frame. I tried to go back at 8 weeks but fortunately it took almost 2 more weeks for them to get my computer access so it was essentially 10 weeks before I put in a full day. Even then it was exhausting.
 
Excellent report. It's great to see how you are getting on. Your reports have encouraged me all the way along so thanks again. Onward and upwards then. Fantastic!
 
@Cynrob It is amazing how long it takes to regain your energy. I had a very successful surgery and pretty uneventful recovery but it still just takes time (as all our fellow Bonesmarties kept telling us)! :) Hope things continue to do well for you.

@Legin Thanks for the kind words.
 
Nae probs glad you are doing better tho. Take care tho you can still over do it
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom