10 Days Post Op.....so far, so good

Status
Not open for further replies.
@mbrown steroids are really strong on the brain and the inflammation. Can I implore you to slow down and let them work? I fear a boomerang coming your way. I'm posting this because I care not to be a Debbie downer...


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
I'm already stir crazy and it's only been 3 days!! Glad things are going well. I so wanted to go out and do a little 4-wheeling in the snow today.


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Question.......haven't really even noticed much feeling from around my incision until last night. I can just baaaaaaaarellly touch my bandage next to where the incision is and I feel it. Almost feels like a rug burn was. Is this something that would have been there all alone but I haven't felt because of pain meds or is this something new with nerves starting to reconnect and fire again?
 
Many times there will be numbness around the incision. As the numbness starts to go away and normal feelings return, you do sometimes get some tingly, burning pain. Nerves reconnecting when they are cut usually feel like a stabbing zinger of pain (quick and intense, but it doesn't last). You may get some of that at some point too. All this is normal. Not taking much of anything for pain can make any of this worse. "Pain" comes in many forms.
 
@Jamie thanks and I have another question.....I'm having some of the restless leg stuff going on. Sometimes it hurts because it jerks my surgery leg so hard that it hurts. I'm also doing it with my other limbs as well......when I am falling asleep it's as if we have to go around the horn and each of my limbs has to jerk twice. Is this normal and if so is it restless leg?
 
Martin, I don't know if this would help you or not, but one of the medicines my dr. prescribed (after he finally opened the doors to multiple meds for my pain management) is Gabapentin. It helps with nerve pain and I believe some folks on here have taken it for restless leg. I was glad he ordered it just due to me reading on BoneSmart all the people who take it for a period of time. (my BIG dog is on it for spine pain, I'm on 300 mg. 2 x per day and she is on 900 mg. 2 x per day!!!). Hope you had a good night sleep.
 
@jaschembra thanks. I will ask my doc about it this week at my follow up. The restless leg thing doesn't keep me awake. It either stops once I go to sleep or I don't notice it once I go to sleep

How are you doing?
 
@mbrown, I'm just getting caught up with your thread - had mostly been distracted from BS while getting ready for my Dr appt and another separate medical issue.

It's a bit funny (odd, not ha ha) how similar our recoveries are. Last I had read was about the painful clicking and kneecap stuff we had. But my recovery, too, has seemed to slow down a bit. I have a little more pain (more 'discomfort' than classic pain) now and again, and am occasionally taking 2 pain pills instead of one. I also have the leg jerking and the skin hypersensitivity (numb on one side and hypersensitive on the other side).

I'll try to keep most of my story on my thread, but here's what the PA said about the kneecap tracking/painful clicking. He said that he has had a small percentage take of patients complain about it - he believes it to be a combination of intercapsular soft tissue swelling (fat pads, synovium, bursa) and the need for other ligaments/tendons to scar down a little. He also mentioned the implant needing to smooth it's path into the plastic spacer. What he didn't seem is overly concerned about it, which made me feel better. He said to have PT do some soft tissue work (for me, in the past, ultrasound, laser, and tens has helped immensely) and wrote it on my outpatient PT script. I don't know if you are still having that issue, but if so, hope this helps a little.

As for the rest, as much as I hate for you to be having the same issues as I am.... it's actually nice to know that all this is probably 'normal' and not backsliding... But maybe just getting into more of the knee stage of recovery as opposed to the post op stage of recovery.

I was just thinking that this week has seemed so much more drawn out - and like I really hadn't made much progress since last week. Then I keep remembering that I'm really not quite even 3 weeks out! I also have to remember I did a lot more 'sleeping' in my first couple of weeks... Which probably passed the time much faster! You are even a week behind me, so I think you are doing incredibly well - definitely ahead of where I was at 10 days - particularly with the PT.

I admit I'm insanely jealous that you got out and drove around... My first and only outing has been to the my appt on Friday LOL. Cabin fever is hitting hard and if my husband isn't careful, we may end up with a new camper/trailer for our hiking trips :heehee:

BTW, I can't remember who wrote it (I blame the drugs), but that freezing of the nerves sounds amazing! I've never heard of that. I would give almost anything to get in one last hiking fix before this recovery. It's been 2 years already, and I miss it! LOL

Take care and hope all continues to go well!
 
@L.I.T. Wow that's some great info! Thanks! The painful part of the clicking has pretty much gone away but the clicking is still there. (Not only in the kneecap area but all over). It's a very weird sensation in that it feels exactly the same as my old knee would feel with the popping and grinding, etc but whenever I felt my old knee do that there was usually a sharp pain that followed! Hopefully it will go away. Although it doesn't hurt, it's just a sensation that I don't want to feel anymore. It's like getting a new car that squeaks!

I'm getting really close to being off the pain meds. Last 2-3 days I've only taken them at night and even then just 1-2 before bed and none during the night. I guess I will take one before PT tomorrow because that's what they ask me to do.

I was a little worried that I might pay for my little adventure out yesterday. I was a little sore and inflamed yesterday afternoon but iced and elevated a lot yesterday and this morning (Day 12) I feel great. No crutch, walking unassisted. So, seemingly to harm from my adventure. Just did some light rehab work and feel good.

I think the cabin fever will really kick in this week. I don't have a problem lounging around when I don't feel great. I'm not one of those folks that powers through s cold or virus. When I don't feel good I rest. Conversely, when I start to feel good I have a very hard time sitting still. I have my follow up with my OS on Wednesday. I may try to go in the office for 2-3 hours on Thursday and/or Friday. If that goes well, I might try to go in for half-days next week. I'm also planning on being on my spin bike doing a light ride by day 21. Seeing where I am now (unless I have a setback) I see no reason why I won't be ready for that in 9 more days.

As I've done so far, I am going to continue to try to find my limits in activity, rehab, ROM, etc and stay just below those limits. If I bump into one, I'm going to back off.

BTW, I don't know if I've mentioned this before LIT, but I'm so jealous that you live at Zion. What a remarkable place that is!
 
Sounds like your recovery is going well. I'm envious of your ROM and that you could drive so quickly. I had the weird twitching/spasm thing going on until week 5 so so, along with clunking in my left leg (but not in my right) that felt like it was rattling/vibrating my tibia. I have to agree that while not painful, it is extremely annoying.
 
@Want2hike I had really good ROM going into my surgery so that probably helps my ROM at this stage of my recovery. I've also used a Gameready unit for ice/compression for several hours each day which has kept my swelling to a minimum, which has also helped my ROM

[Bonesmart.org] 10 Days Post Op.....so far, so good
 
I still get the clunking (left leg only) but not the twitching. I've noticed that I mostly get the clunking when the tibia rotates. For example....If I keep my leg straight (toes pointed forward to 12:00) and then rotate my left foot outward (toes pointed to 10:00) I will often get the clunk during the outward motion (but not when the foot rotates inward). I can hear it/feel it but my husband claims he has never heard it clunk. I have my 12 week checkup next week and plan to ask my OS about it.
 
Those noises are very, very normal after knee replacement and should lessen or completely go away with some time. It's part of your body adjusting to the new, hard components of the implant. Here's an article on it from the BoneSmart Library:

Clicking/clunking joint after knee surgery
 
I'm so glad you are doing well still! I imagine the steroids helped tremendously with the swelling. I'm hoping the PA is correct about the clicking/scraping. I imagine it probably does take time for things to settle into place - although there's just something distinctly unsettling about all those grinding/clunking/clicking feelings going on... Painful or not.

@Want2hike, let us know what they say. Hoping it's just another time thing!

You guys just reminded me why I'm going through all of this. My husband and I are lucky in that we do telemedicine... And that was what allowed us to move out here (5 yrs ago) from the concrete jungles of Dallas/Ft Worth.

Before my surgery, I could still walk, and my swelling was very slight - I still had excellent ROM, as I am blessed/cursed with hyper flexibility. But the trick was I could no longer walk more than 1/2 mile, and going up or down an incline or steps sent sharp shooting pains through my leg. But I know most people who have a TKR are to the point where they can't even walk... So sometimes I feel like I am a spoiled brat for doing this just so I could hike again.

But I'm glad I'm going it, and I'm so thankful for this forum. It reminds me that all this is just part of the process, and if I can hike in my backyard again, I will be one seriously grateful person.

Zion is beautiful. I often feel beyond lucky to be able to live here. Now if I can get that Alto.... LOL

You guys have a great rest of your weekend! Heal well!
 
Ok, I've gotta say........somebody let me borrow their gameready unit for 2 week and I either have to turn it on on Tuesday or start renting it for a smooth $100 a week. So, I got the Kinex cool/compression unit cranked up that I had prescribed. I won't say it's quite as good as the gameready but it's pretty darn good. It uses a mixture of alcohol and water. I was worried that it wouldn't be cold enough but it's pretty darn close to being as cold as the gameready unit. It's not as cold but I think definitely cold enough.

So, if you can't get your hands on the Gameready, see if you can get a Kinex unit. Not quite as good but much better than I thought it would be.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom