Guest viewing is limited

10 Days Post Op.....so far, so good

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that goes well, I might try to go in for half-days next week. I'm also planning on being on my spin bike doing a light ride by day 21.
Well trying to go back to work so early is just not good but now I see you are setting this goal I have to jump in. Do not start any of this without your surgeon's input. If you surgeon is fine with you biking at 21 days then good luck to you. But until you are released to do all this I would definitely refrain. Just sayin'!
 
@Jaycey I definitely won't do anything without his blessing. I trust him immensely and if he tells me not to do something then I'm not going to do it. On the other hand, if he gives me the go ahead then I will. Also, understand that when I set that goal I am assuming that my recovery continues to progress ahead of schedule as it has been. So if I hit a snag or my recovery slows then I'm not going to try to spin at day 21 just because that's the goal I set. The goal I set is based on my current rate of recovery. If my rate of recovery changes then my goal changes. And like I said I won't do anything without my OS blessing.

I really do appreciate your concern. However, I promise that I'm not going to do anything stupid and I'm not going to do anything unless I'm pretty confident that I'm ready for. It has been and will continue to be how I approach my recovery in that I am going to try to stay just below my limits but if I do find my limit, I will pull back quickly.

On the work thing, it's the same approach. If I do decide to go in for a couple of hours later this week and it goes well and I have no issues then I might try to go half days some next week. If it doesn't go well, then I will slow down. I'm playing the work thing totally by ear though
 
I'll make a plug for my little ice machine - it's not nearly as impressive as the gameready, but it's been working famously for me. My mom (who had her tkr 3 weeks before me) gave it to me as a Christmas present :SUNsmile: Mine is the Donjoy Iceman - for about $135. It only comes with a little pad, but I wrap my knee in all directions with it, including the underside. I use it a LOT though - at least 6-10 times in 24 hrs (I will wake up at night and put it on). I use frozen water bottles and Coleman ice packs and switch them out twice a day.

The gameready looks absolutely awesome, tho. Had I known before my mom bought this for me.... :chinstroke:
 
Well, it's 3:21 am. I'm awake. I've been awake. I had a great day yesterday from the time I woke up until the time I went to bed. Was tired when I went to bed at 9:30 and was high fiving myself because I was gonna get 8+ hours of sleep tonight. Now I'm sitting here freezing with the ice machine on. I've been tossing and turning for 2 hours. Knee feels tight and inflamed. Just took some pain meds for the first time in the middle of the night in 5-6 nights to try to knock the edge off. So much for my first complete day. So much for my good nights sleep. Recovery is not linear. Recovery is not linear. Recovery is not linear. [emoji36][emoji36]
 
Hope you managed to get some sleep! You are so right - recovery is no linear!
 
Early days my friend. Recovery is a bit of a roller coaster. Just hang in there!
[Bonesmart.org] 10 Days Post Op.....so far, so good
 
I'm now at 27 days and I totally understand. One day feels so much better and suddenly. Bam. It sure is a rollercoaster. Hope you feel better again soon. Hang in there!
 
Oh, man. I'm sorry.... You woke up right when I went back to sleep for the second time. I discovered the 'random swelling' moments a couple of days ago. Frustrating as heck, but as my husband says to me.... This, too, shall pass.

Hope you went back to sleep and feel better today!
 
Well, it's 3:21 am. I'm awake. I've been awake. I had a great day yesterday from the time I woke up until the time I went to bed. Was tired when I went to bed at 9:30 and was high fiving myself because I was gonna get 8+ hours of sleep tonight. Now I'm sitting here freezing with the ice machine on. I've been tossing and turning for 2 hours. Knee feels tight and inflamed. Just took some pain meds for the first time in the middle of the night in 5-6 nights to try to knock the edge off. So much for my first complete day. So much for my good nights sleep. Recovery is not linear. Recovery is not linear. Recovery is not linear. [emoji36][emoji36]

Oh man! So sorry to hear! Are you taking any NSAIDs? My ice machine makes me cold too. I use a heating pad on low and a wool blanket to keep me warm.
 
@L.I.T. Yeah Liz, when I woke up it said he had posted 9 minutes ago. Lol. I did go back to sleep at about 4:00 and slept like a log until 8:30 when I had to get up and go to therapy.
 
@mbrown, I'm also taking celebrex, but the max dose of 200mg bid

The PA thought that the celebrex might have been the reason my swelling went down so much. It's expensive on my insurance, but I won't be taking it forever.
 
I was prescribed Celebrex too (at my 6 week visit), but did not notice any improvement. I took it for a month, and when my pills ran out, I didn't refill the prescription. My swelling has actually gone down more in the week that I have been off it than it did during the month I was on it. I plan to talk to my OS about it when I see him later this week.
 
@mbrown maybe you got some naps in today? I don't sleep all day but I have been sleeping well at night in between the pain pill meds. As I read your paragraph above, I had to wonder... how do you toss and turn? Seems to me that I only have one way to lay and the only thing moving may possibly be my right leg. :)
 
@jaschembra yes, I did get a good nap in today. I'm mostly on my back in a recliner but I can kind of shift from side to side. After a few more days you will be able to move that surgery leg around without too much discomfort.
 
The 27 staples underneath the bandage come out tomorrow. Can't wait for that.

Day14 and continue to progress nicely. I think that once I get staples out that my extension will be in excess of 110*. I'll find out on Friday.

Good day of rehab yesterday. Added 1 lb weights to the straight leg raises and felt great. No pain at all. Also added 3 hip exercises on the machine. Even on days when I'm a little sore I go into rehab and can do more than I did the time before so I'm definitely getting stronger.

Slept from 12:00 am to 8:00 am last night and felt like I could have slept 3 hours longer. Felt like I got hit by a tranquilizer dart. Have felt very tired today but "good tired" not "bad tired". Maybe my body is finally getting ready to start catching up on all of the sleep that I've missed the last 2 weeks.

[Bonesmart.org] 10 Days Post Op.....so far, so good


[Bonesmart.org] 10 Days Post Op.....so far, so good
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom