10 Days Post Op.....so far, so good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. These are like electric like. They are just super sharp pains that feel like they are down in the bones. They only last a few seconds but they get my attention. Strange.
 
They're probably zingers, everyone feels them differently.
 
Yes, they're zingers. They're actually tiny electric shocks, caused by the cut nerve endings trying to re-connect.
 
I will be 21 days tomorrow. My initial plan was to be out of work for all of January but I really feel like I am ready to go back. I am not on my feet at work and I only work about 10-15 minutes away from home, so I can come home to elevate and ice if I need to. I can also do a lot of work from home.

My plan is to go back this week for a few hours a day and then go back full time the next week. Any advice and/or early warning signs that I need to look out for when I go back. If I go in for a few days and it doesn't go well then I can always adjust my plan, as I have a couple of weeks to work with since they thought I would be out all of January. I don't want to go back to work and take a bunch of steps backwards in my recovery, which is why I'm looking for early warning signs that might tell me if I'm overdoing it. Obviously pain and increased swelling.......anything else I need to be on the lookout for?
 
I think you've got it covered. Remember that going in to work involves getting dressed and ready, driving there and back (even though you're close) and probably a bit more walking about than you think. I would suggest you go in at noon on the first day and only work a half day. Then see how you feel and go from there. It's better to go in later in the day than to try a half day leaving at noon. The temptation is too great to stay once you're there and you risk overdoing it until you know how you're going to do. Good luck.
 
Pain and increased swelling, probably most likely. You'll also find that you get very tired, much more easily than you used to. It's surprising how quickly your energy gets zapped. I used to feel as if I was running on empty, quite suddenly.
Initially, I could do something for half a day, but that was my limit, so you're wise to anticipate coming home, if necessary.
 
Thanks @Jamie. That's exactly what I was thinking.......going on around mid day. The getting dressed part really stinks. I wish I could just go in wearing shorts and a tshirt!

@Celle yeah, I'm worried about my energy level. As great as my recovery has been so far, I can still certainly feel the effects of having had major surgery. I'll be ready for a nap at around 4:00 for sure! Maybe I can push that nap back to 4:30 or 5:00!
 
You might be able to postpone that nap a bit, but I found that when my batteries had run down, i couldn't do anything productive. I just had to rest.
The only way you'll find out is to try it. Listen to your body and listen to your knee.
 
@mbrown I went back part Time after day 23 for me and eased into it, I was definitely ready for a nap by the time I got home, my commute is tougher, I take the train a lot, but thats an hour and a half. I use a cane so people give up a seat. I have two of the large ice and terry cloth wraps and use that to ice at work , have not found time to elevate. Is there any PT in the schedule?
Good luck you will be fine, your doing great!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
HOW did I miss your birthday??? HAPPY BELATED, @mbrown! :beer:

You are doing so awesome with your recovery! Seriously, I know we all move at our own body's pace but since you and I both will have to do this again (sooner rather than later), I truly wish you the same amount of success on your future tkr as you've had on this one. You have a great attitude, and are an inspiration to many of us (even if we are a bit jealous at times :heehee:). Good luck at work! PS - did you get that spin class in yet? :wink:
 
@L.I.T thank you. You are so sweet. The spin class is happening today. I'll let you how it goes. It won't be like a normal spin class, as I will just be spinning slowly with no resistance but ya gotta start somewhere!
 
Day 21 - Boom!!! 20 minute spin class in the books!

It felt good. Very low resistance and approximately 50-75 Rpm cadence.

Icing right now as a preventative measure but no pain now of while on the bike.
[Bonesmart.org] 10 Days Post Op.....so far, so good
[Bonesmart.org] 10 Days Post Op.....so far, so good
 
@mbrown I noticed you have an Ace bandage on, do you wear it when you exercise only? I haven't used mine since day 4. Maybe I should consider compression. I'm working on going into the office too.
 
I probably wear it about half the time. I don't know it if helps or not but it feels good with it on.

I do think compression has helped. I was a little inflamed a couple of days ago and I moved the Gameready compression setting up from low to medium and boom......no more swelling.

I had to give the Gameready back today. I almost cried. I'm like Linus and the Gameready was my blanket.
 
Since your commute is only 10-15 minutes, this might not be as big of issue (my commute is 30 mins) for you. During the first two weeks back, I adjusted my schedule 30 minutes earlier so I was avoiding the worst part of rush hour. All the extra starts and stops fatigued my leg muscles, especially on the drive home. I also froze a bottle half full of water, and rubbed my quads with the ice while driving (I was usually ok the first 15-20 mins) but ached after that.

I kept ice bags (gel packs) in the freezer at work, and would put my feet up on an office chair and ice while I was doing computer work or meeting with people in my office. I made a point of getting up every hour or so, just to stand and stretch or walk a bit, to prevent stiffness.

I also found that mild compression knee high socks helped my legs ache less and kept the swelling down.
 
You seemed to have covered all the bases, just take it slow. The energy drain was probably my biggest road block for about the 1st month, but I ended up having some other issues that played into wearing me down. Work, and go home and rest. Plan on either take out meals or something simple. In the beginning I got so tired by the end of the day I didn't even have a appetite, just wanted to rest. (overall you sound like your doing really well. :)
 
Way to go on the spin session! Glad you are doing so well. I'm sorry about the game ready, though. I know it's been hugely helpful, but I think you are doing well enough that you won't even notice it's gone. Proud of you for hitting all of your goals!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom