TKR 10 days out.....<

Well after many many phone calls I finally got my pain medication between laws on narcotics and insurance it is close to impossible to change a prescription even though th Dr approved additional medication and the primary Dr is the only one that can prescribe the pain medication so the OS could not give me anything stronger when I left the hospital. I actually went several days with only 1 pill a day so much for keeping up with the pain I feel that this has caused me a delay in recovery and very disappointed in the Dr that I feel made me suffer unnecessary 6 norco a day was not enough to do much for the pain especially the first 2 weeks it took me 4 weeks to get the additional amount of pain medication , this just seems so wrong to me. Sorry just needed to vent some.. otherwise I am doing good I think pt was also delayed from almost 2 weeks so I might just not even go and see how things go. Thanks everyone

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk
 
Reading post. Wow. Seem like me in trying to get medications. Xxx good luck.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Hi again was just sitting here with my l Legs up on my ball exercising when I noticed how much difference there was due to swelling and I ice it all the time is this normal 4 weeks out here. Is a pic [Bonesmart.org] 10 days out.....< [Bonesmart.org] 10 days out.....< just curious
 
Pretty normal looking.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Certainly is normal, will take sometime for the swelling to go. Keep in icing, elevating, resting and taking meds.
 
Are you elevating and icing? Ice does wonders for me. Remember that you can use it at the back of the knee as well.
 
I am pretty lucky to not really have had much swelling since the first 2 weeks or so. Hope you are feeling well, icing and elevating. Happy Sunday.
 
@mytrose43 Thank you for sharing your photos of your knee..that way I will not be surprised if my looks the same! LOL My surgery is July 28.
 
Hi all hope everyone is having a good day
I decided I needed better iceing and elevation so I went and bought a pillow wedge and a ice pack that is made of clay and wraps around knee said it lasts longer than ice and can be molded BBC to the knee so hope this helps stuff was not cheap but if it helps it will be well worth it..I also woke up this am with a severe pain like right on the kneecap took a while to move enough to ease the pain a first time for that pain maybe I slept on it wrong also called Dr due to charlie horse like cramps nothing eased it so hopefully Dr can help.Thanks for being here no one I live with understand s and think I should be normal after almost 5 weeks kinda depressing even though I try to explain it like you r just wineing lol one day you maybe here and will get it.

Sent from my SCH-I200PP using Tapatalk
 
@mytrose43 Thank you for sharing your photos of your knee..that way I will not be surprised if my looks the same! LOL My surgery is July 28.
I wish you the best of luck I am sure you will be happy with your outcome . I know I am even though I complain just not having the pain I had before surgery has made it all worth I know what pain swelling ect I have now will be gone eventually and that keeps me happy[emoji3]
I did a completely passive stretch rather than heel slides. Hold thigh up so lower leg can drop freely and just wait until you don't see foot dropping any more. Very slow stretch that I didn't fight the way I fought heel slides. I read here that 2 minutes is optimal, I stop when I don't see the foot dropping any further and/or when it actually starts to hurt. Every fraction of an inch of a heel slide once past a couple inches hurt like mad but I could see my foot dropping completely pain free for tens of degrees doing this instead.

I also scavenged a bit of PVC pipe and put it under my foot so I could roll my foot under me with less friction. If you have a set of wheels like a skateboard that is probably better.

I did either one of those every time I got up, so dozens of times a day. Really helps with the stiffness of those first few steps as well.

Hello almost 4 weeks out from from mm my ltkr doing fairly good except for pain and stiffness and swelling for what ever reason my gp will not give en me any erxctra pain meds other than my normal rx of norco which I have been on for quite some time and OS will not give anything either and the primary Dr approved me taking 10 a day instead of normal 6 a day but did not increase the rx so now I am out. I have asked for non narcotics and still nothing so much for pain control. I In bought some KT tape in hopes that will help. I do have a question about gabapentin for pain I do have some of that will it help has anyone used it all I am taking is 600mg of Ibuprofen please help thanks so very much


Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk


Sent from my SCH-I200PP using Tapatalk
 
@Lovestoread and Mytrose43 Lol this is so so true!! I have told my kids to watch a u tube knee replacement surgery and they are all scared to. It really does look quite disturbing, but perhaps more so for folks who have never been in the medical field etc. It is a real eye opener. :)
 
Hi again have a question the last couple of days I have been Charlie horse like cramps mostly on the back of ny leg and nothing seems to help is there anything I In can do to help this? Thanks
 
@mytrose43 Pain behind you leg/knee area from what I have read is quite common both before and after surgery. I am not certain if your "cramping" would be the same as general pain. I have had that all along....sometimes it hurts worse than the knee pain. Of course, check with your doctor, nurse etc. I have been reading here and on line that putting a frozen pea ice pack on the area may help. I did buy some frozen peas, all sizes so I can be prepared after surgery. LOL If they do not help, I guess I can eat them. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The frozen peas may work. Sometimes we only ice the front of the knee and forget the back. Icing the back (or wherever you have pain) may be helpful.
 
Some find heat works better for that type of pain. Ice is great for your knee and swelling, but you might try heat for other leg muscles.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Lovestoread....That makes sense..I am a big fan of a heating pad for pain. I was wondering what all of the ice is about, but yes, I guess ice would definitely help for swelling. The ice isn't actually for pain is it? I get so cold...how long do you have to leave that on for?
 
Yes, ice is wonderful for swelling and can be a great pain reliever after surgery. I used my ice machine as much as possible day and night for weeks following surgery. I kept a dish towel between the pad and my skin. Since my surgeries were during the summer, the ice kept me cool and I wasn't miserable, like I usually am in the summer. (Give me winter anyday!) I know that for muscle aches elsewhere on my body, usually my back., heat always feels better.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom