• REGISTER for Joint Replacement Awareness Day on May 9th, 2020!

Surgeons, patients, and other medical professionals will talk about topics you've told are important to you. You can ask questions LIVE of the participants. Please "like" and "share" our JRAD notice on your Facebook page too!

Register and learn more in this announcement:

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

TKR 10 Days After Surgery Back Flaring

Country
United States United States
Say what!? A rationale to purchase more shoes! I'm there!! :dancy:

Jokes aside, you're right. I have had to take inventory once again of my shoe, eh' collection and another pair must go (heel too swept back for good balance). And for sure I put in new inserts into a few. A run down shoe is not good for our brand new knees.
@Cstucky Have you purchased new shoes since your TKR? Wearing shoes with a pre-op wearing pattern can cause aches and pains. You don't have to replace every pair of shoes - just the pair you wear most often.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cstucky

Country
Hi Jaycey,
Oh my gosh! What a great tip. I’m going to get some ASAP! Thanks so much. Fingers crossed.
The pain is sharp and sudden, like a dentist touching a nerve in a tooth. And it’s on the knee replacement side. Happens several times a day. But I’m walking in old shoes 30 minutes a day 5x a week on the treadmill. I will keep you posted after I try my new shoes out.
Gotta love BoneSmart!

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
But I’m walking in old shoes 30 minutes a day 5x a week on the treadmill.
You might try easing off all this walking as well and see if this settles. Or try ever other day to give that knee a rest between walking sessions.

InkedMarie

graduate
Country
I had my TKR in August 2018. Last winter, I wore my winter boots a little bit; no problems. This year? Nope. Tossed them out and they’re the last of my pre op footwear to go.

I should say, all my left shoes were built up with a lift after my first THR in 2014 left me with a leg length difference. This may also be a reason they were uncomfortable.

Jajakio

graduate
Country
I think for some of us going through back pain is inevitable. I had a few back problems prior to surgery but not too bad. About 3 weeks out back pain was nearly intolerable for a few weeks. My PT says it is a result of changing your gait. I limped a certain way for years and how my leg was straighter and everything's was different. I iced and elevated more, continued with PT and eventually my back settled down as I got used to new alignment and limped less.

OP
OP
C

Cstucky

Country
Jakakio, thanks for the encouragement. What your PT says makes sense. The new knee is doing so well I’m hoping the back will follow! Appreciate your response!

Country
YES! I think that IS a factor re. some back discomfort. My gait has changed a bit. Body still settling into the new knee. It takes time. Thankfully most of my shoes are still useable.
...My PT says it is a result of changing your gait. I limped a certain way for years and how my leg was straighter and everything's was different. I iced and elevated more, continued with PT and eventually my back settled down as I got used to new alignment and limped less.

OP
OP
C

Cstucky

Country
This is a happy, grateful post! A little over 3 months since my TKR, I’m thrilled with my new knee. And finally my back issues are manageable, most days not very painful at all. I’m able to walk 30-40 minutes with no pain in my knee or back and no negative after effects, so knee newbies take heart!
Daily, I do strength and flexibility exercises given by my therapists. And these prompt my questions. I continue to have restrictions with my ROM in bending. When I stopped therapy outside the home at 8 weeks, because it was too aggressive and affected my back, I was at about 128 degrees flex. I am hoping to improve and that going down steps will get easier as I continue to work my new knee..
I’m hoping someone can tell me what to expect as I walk the walk with my new knee. Thanks BoneSmarters!

sistersinhim

Country
As time goes on, your knee will continue to improve and you'll forget about your knee completely. But, this takes time.

128 bend is great at 3 months! Good going.

OP
OP
C

Cstucky

Country
Thanks for the input. I’ll keep doing the exercises I’ve been given and walking.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
chica
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom