TKR 1 week post TKR I'm hurting!! *

@shotzie63 hi. I'm 6 weeks out today and felt exactly as you do. Couldn't lift leg for 2 weeks and then it was not a pleasure. Take the pain meds. For me it didn't help much but let me catch a few hours of shut eye. Bend the knee until you feel discomfort not pain. It will get better. I left hospital at 70 and now for last 2 weeks at 116. Expect the swelling. It's a major operation. Do ankle pumps and quad sets if you can. Get up every hours to use the walker so you don't get stiff. The pt can only do so much and he seems good not to cause you pain

Maybe a stronger pain med would help. Call your os
Let me know how you do
 
Thanks Jr !! I'll keep u posted. :kitty:
 
I'm sorry that you have a hemotoma. They do occur sometimes and can cause some pain until they begin to dissolve. The reabsorption by your white blood cells can take quite a while, though. If the pain is bothering you, let your doctor know and he can adjust your pain medications to make you more comfortable. You should not have any long-lasting effects from this problem.....it will just take some time to resolve itself.
 
One other thing. If you continue with that therapist who has been pushing you, set some parameters with him. Tell him he is not to push your knee beyond mild discomfort and when you tell him to stop, he must do so immediately. Your poor knee needs rest and not more activity like you would have with a CPM machine. So if the order doesn't go through for it, please don't be concerned. Sometimes a CPM can be comfortable to use, but for others it just overworks a tender knee.

Don't buy into anyone who tells you that there is a "window of opportunity" to obtain your ROM. There is no such thing! Your primary job right now is to do gentle bends and stretches routinely through the day and night, allow yourself to walk from room to room about the house as needed, and don't feel guilty about lots of rest, ice and elevation. Take your pain meds to be comfortable. Snooze when possible. This is a healing time for you.
 
'You cannot bend a garden hose full of water---you have to wait until the water leaves the hose. That is where you are.'
This is a excellent example of what is going on--I love it--should become a permanent part of bonesmart's mantra.

shotzie63 so sorry you are having these problems--often life is just not fair. I think that you might find that the heat/ice routine will give you more pain relief. I have a shoulder issue that is actually exacerbated by ice--loves the heat. So don't be upset that the doctor told you to use heat on your hematoma.

Like other have said don't let your PT guy hurt you. My PT girl was great. I once asked her if I should take more pain meds so I could do more aggressive PT exercises and her answer was an emphatic NO!! My doctor is also one who believes in the bonesmart mantra--I.E. too much activity (of any kind!!) creates swelling and pain and can lead to more scarring, thus causing the very thing it is suppose be helping--stiffness and lack of mobility.
 
No therapist should attempt to push a limb where it physically cant go it is akin to assault. Develop the word STOP,

Legin THR Sep 14
 
One pt I had forced it and I would have tears running down my face.. She would actually take her leg and push my calf back and hold it.. I had to say you cannot do that it hurts and I'm sorry but I will not be forced to have pain.. She wasn't happy but I'm not gonna sit and cry... I'm a big girl but it hurt.. Then she pushed one knee back so hard I literally almost screamed.. She said in sorry did that stretch Rio much.. I said no that hurt like stabbing pain please do not do it again

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk
 
Coming up on 2 weeks since surgery and I wish I was doing better.
My knee is still swollen on the right side of the incision, has a dark color to it and very tender to the touch still!
I am having the staples taken out Tuesday and scared of having more pain inflicted on my poor knee.
I was told that I have a blood clot when the dr tried to take blood out with this huge needle and only a small amount trickled out. I don't know what happens next
My skin is so tight from the swelling that it makes my pt sessions unbearable.
Sorry for going on and on. Im just venting. And im hurting
 
Have you considered cancelling your physical therapy until after your MD appointment? Hope things go well with the appointment.
 
The swelling is normal It can go on a while. Did your surgeon try to drain the fluid? I thought that most don't
 
Dearjr. He did try to drain fluid from my knee and a small amount of blood came out. He was hoping more blood would come out but said that I may have a big clot
we'll see that happens tuesday. The swelling is pretty bad and if I run my hand down the right side of my calf
(Same side of surgery) it is very sensitive to touch and feels like ive been burned and stings really bad. I also have a bruise on my foot near my ankle and hurts more than a usual bruise and has not gone away. It appeared
like 4 days after surgery and has not gone away. I dont know. Just waiting to see what else appears on my body. Lol
 
Getting the staples out was not painful for me. I chatted through the entire event with the PA. Afterwards the entire area felt more relaxed. I think you will feel more comfortable once the staples are out.
 
Mla925. Im such a big sissy that im freaking myself out thinking about the pain lol. Some of the staples are in there really tight and I know those will hurt most, since I think he'll have to kinda dig to get them out. Im asking for some kind of numbing in that area.
 
Getting staples out is simple. It will only pinch. Really!

To drain your knee I guess there was a lot of fluid. Doesn't it normally swell after the surgery for a while?
 
Yes, getting out the staples is one of the easiest things about this surgery--most of mine didn't hurt at all and had two that created just a little pinching which was over almost before I noticed it. I once had stitches removed from my finger--now that really hurts!! Doctor made me lie down before he would even begin--must admit, I yelled! (He called my a baby until he was through, then told me I had actually done very well.:umm:)
 
Monday update. Had a visit from a new home care nurse and after talking a bit about my visit with the dr last Thursday and him saying I possibly have a clot.

She tells me to Stop icing and only put heat on my knee.
that icing will only keep my knee stiff and will not help with the swelling and heat will help in getting the blood to move around and get my knee moving/bending.

Im confused and can't wait to see my dr tmrw.

What say you??
 
Well I am not a medical professional, but do know that while ice reduces swelling, heat helps to get the blood moving--which if there is a blood clot on the knee might well be best.
 
She tells me to Stop icing and only put heat on my knee.
that icing will only keep my knee stiff and will not help with the swelling and heat will help in getting the blood to move around and get my knee moving/bending.
I have to disagree with her. Heating an already swollen joint will make it worse---you can heat a muscle to loosen it up, but applying heat to a joint will cause more blood flow to it, and that will cause more swelling.

Ice helps to reduce the swelling and reduces inflammation---heat will cause more issues if you apply it to your knee.
 
Well, I'm pretty confused. If you have a blood clot then that is a very serious matter that normally would require a trip to the Emergency Room. What it sounds like you may have is a hematoma. This is where you have internal bleeding at the surgical site and the blood pools to form a mass that the body must absorb over time - like several months. Tomorrow when you see your surgeon, please ask for clarification and make sure he says you have a hematoma and not a blood clot.

Was an ultrasound done of your leg to rule out an actual blood clot?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom