THR Superpath Surgery. May 10, 2023

That must have been frightening, @Jason11! I'm so glad you didn't get hurt.

If you are feeling at all unstable with the cane, consider going back to the walker for a bit.

That must have been frightening, @Jason11! I'm so glad you didn't get hurt.

If you are feeling at all unstable with the cane, consider going back to the walker for a bit.

5-25-2023
Thanks for everyone’s input, I do appreciate it. I walked all day today with the cane and was ok. I just had a cheap cane

May 26,2023. (16 Days after surgery )

So I went to out patient physical therapy , to see what they had to offer. The PT did measure my leg length ( I asked him to ). The PT told me my left ( the operated side ) was a little shorter than the right, ( he told me how much, but I forgot ). He said the discrepancy was very minor, and nothing to be concerned about. We talked about my surgery, he said he looked at my operation report ( I am going to ask if I can get a copy of that ( why? I don’t know). The PT said the report talked about bone spurs, and something else, I did not catch. I am going to ask him to get the report next time I see him and go over it line by line with me. He tested my strength in both my legs, and seemed surprised in the strength in my operated leg. The PT told me my prognosis was very good. He stayed with me the full time, but I did see some other patients working basically by themselves.

One more thing the PT told me of a good medical supply store near by, and I was able to buy a cane that was a little bigger ( I am 6-2 ) and was more sturdy. When I was there I also looked at their Pride lift chairs, I like them, but they cost around $2000, I am going to research these chairs, if anyone has any knowledge on these chairs , please let me know.

Last edited:
Hi there.
Glad you got a better walking stick those scary first falls :)flabber: ) and all seems to be going well
The PT told me my left ( the operated side ) was a little shorter than the right, ( he told me how much, but I forgot ). He said the discrepancy was very minor,
I got this same observation by my PT and as tightness is really prominent still these early days, my issue resolved as it was attributed to tight hip flexors.
Things that can be worked on when more healing has happened.

Hope you have a happy Saturday!

May 28,2023. ( 18 days after surgery )

Well I did some weed whacking in the back yard with my cane in one hand and my weed Wacker in the other. I used the cane in the wrong hand, ( because I had my weed whacker in my strong right hand )and I think it was a good idea, I put more weight on my left operated leg, and I think it was good exercise. In the afternoon I went for a walk down the block,( only one block, ) and did not use the cane, One block was about all I was good for and used the cane to walk back. Not bad for only having 2 PT sessions.

Last edited:
June 1,2023. (22 days after surgery )

I went to physical therapy on May 30, and as expected the PT worked with me for 30 min, then started working with someone else as he gave me instructions from across the room. He did some things that made my hip hurt worse, and even told me to lay on the side I have my surgical scar.

I can walk ( not very far ) with out a cane, but I feel like I have not made any improvement in the last few days and this has me concerned. I have an appointment with my surgeon today, and I will ask him what he thinks about P.T.

I walk every day multiple times a day. I also have some TRX bands ( home made ) and started exercising, even doing squats, but not very deep. The thing about the TRX bands is I can use my arm strength to help me up, if I need too. If you are not familiar with TRX bands they were developed by a Person in the military that wanted to workout, but had no weights. Do a YouTube search TRX Bands …..

I just checked and there is a nice video of (Bob and Brad the two most famous physical therapist on the internet ) using these bands.

@Jason11 at only days out of surgery you are really pushing yourself. You should not be doing squats this early. You are not in training, you are healing. Let that hip heal and ease off all this exercise. Plenty of time for strength building when that hip settles.

"I remember doing pt a few years ago, and the pt would show me an exercise , tell me to do it, and than run away for 20 min. I am not playing that game again."
Sound familiar?
For a new hip a weed eater is a form of torture with the weight out in front of you, I learned that one the hard way. No way I would play with exercise bands early on in recovery. If I were you my focus would be on achieving walking properly without a cane. For that the best and only exercise needed is walking slowly and properly. Our body weigh provides plenty of resistance for our muscles to build strength once they heal.

June 1 2023
I talked with my surgeon today, and he agreed no more physical therapy . I have another appointment with the surgeon at the end of the month, and we will see how I am doing.

I thought I would see what physical therapy had to offer, I know what I said, about not going, but I thought maybe just maybe, it might benefit me.

I want to be truthful on here, so I will say what I do, even if it makes me look bad. Thanks for all the advice I do appreciate it.

so I will say what I do, even if it makes me look bad.
We're certainly not here to judge, but only to support, encourage and share advice when we're able. It is your recovery and you make the call on how you're going to do it.
Please stay in touch with updates and let us know how it's working out for you.
Best wishes only!

PS Don't let them push you. You are the boss. :wink:

Jason 11, best wishes for continued recovery. I also found the cane a little awkward as a true walking aid. I did find it useful as balance aid. I bet your week to week progress will continue adding up in a good way.

One more thing, re PT: I found it useful for Weeks 2-4. In reality though, the benefit was really just a way to get out of the house and do a few things that at least felt helpful, even if it was just a placebo for inevitable improvement. I stopped after three weeks of twice weekly appointments.

I did not schedule PT for my right hip that was replaced this morning. Rest and do the quad sets, ankle pumps, etc to engage muscles and reduce clot risk. Use the walker around the house and then walk when ready - hips are made for walking so it seems we can’t go wrong with that hat as long as we ramp up our steps conservatively over time - lot of bone to heal to achieve long-term stability

June 1 2023
I talked with my surgeon today, and he agreed no more physical therapy . I have another appointment with the surgeon at the end of the month, and we will see how I am doing.
Wise surgeon
I thought I would see what physical therapy had to offer, I know what I said, about not going, but I thought maybe just maybe, it might benefit me.

I want to be truthful on here, so I will say what I do, even if it makes me look bad. Thanks for all the advice I do appreciate it.
Not about making anyone look bad. We all want everyone to have the best outcome with the least amount of setbacks and pain.

June 10, 2023 ( 31 days from surgery )

I don’t have anything really to report, I am still walking with a cane, but around the house I don’t use it as much. ( I don’t think of this as progress,). I am not on any pain medication, not even Tylenol. There is still random pain in the hip sometimes, especially walking without a cane. I look forward to my next meeting with my surgeon and asking him if it will be ok to go into the pool, if so, I will start walking in the water. Because I had my surgery site glued and not stapled I think I read I can go into the pool after 6 weeks, but I need to make sure.

I did go miniature golfing with my 13 year old, grand nephew yesterday, and had fun while he helped me navigate the course. If I was still working ( I had an outside physical job ) no way would I be able to report back to work.

Walking everyday, doing what I can around the house. Best wishes everyone.

@Jason11 Still very early days for you. Use a cane if you need it - especially if there is discomfort without it. You don't want to get into the habit of limping.

Do check with your surgeon about getting in a pool. They need to confirm the wound is fully healed. Then please do be careful about water walking. It is very easy to over do in the water. You are weightless and moving around will be easier.
If I was still working ( I had an outside physical job ) no way would I be able to report back to work.
Indeed only one month out I would agree. That's why we recommend 10-12 weeks and then a phased return.

Sounds like you are doing well!

Happy One Month Anniversary!
Thanks for the update. It will get better and better, hang in there!
@Jason11

June 22, 2022 ( 43 days after left hip replacement )

I saw my surgeon today, and he asked me , why am I still using a cane ? I told him ……you tell me……. He watched me walk without a cane, and then asked about physical therapy, I told him no PT. I think the surgeon feels I should be doing better, so he now wants me to do physical therapy. So I am now about 7 weeks after surgery. The surgeon told me I could go in the pool, so I will start water walking Monday . The surgeon told me the operation was good, So I guess I am doing something wrong. I am hoping for a marked improvement in the next few weeks.

I had a bad left hip for almost 10 years, I hope something is not messed up.

I am walking ok with a cane, and can walk without it, but not to far, and it will start to hurt when I do.

Thanks for updating, Jason!
You are not even six weeks post op into a recovery that can last a full year and even longer for some. You mentioned you had a bad hip for ten years, it may take you a bit longer, but you’ll get there. Your muscles are likely weak and your body is still adjusting to the prosthetic as all settles into place.

Please go s-l-o-w in the pool because it’s very easy to overdo it in the water and you don’t want to land in the ODIC (Over Did It Club) after one water walking session.

Stay in touch so we can follow your progress and support you along the way.
I hope your weekend is a good one!
@Jason11

Thanks Layla you are always so reassuring. Here is a funny doctor story. So I go for my welcome to Medicare doctors appointment, and I get to see the physician assistant instead my normal doctor. The PA tells me that I get an EKG as part of my welcome to Medicare physical . I told her I just had one last month, when I got my hip replacement so I don’t need it. The PA tells me. “But its free”. I told her no again, just had one last month. She asked me 3 times, and then went to check with the doctor, who told her, no I did not need another EKG.

“But it’s free“ no, nothing is free. :heehee:

Thanks for the kind words, Jason. Patience is key in this recovery and you have lots of time on your side. Let us know what you think of your pool therapy. Hopefully you enjoy it.
@Jason11

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Alwaysknitting
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom