Standard Shoulder Replacement Made it to the other side

Violet

Country
United States United States
And feeling pretty pain-free thanks to my oxycodone/celebrex/gabapentin cocktail. The neoprene and the velcro is kind of overwhelming, but I'm getting used to it. I had some truly wonderful nurses. At-home pt/ot should start this weekend. Typing left-handed is frustrating. All in all, the worst part of all of this was just getting organized, and trying to referee severql doctors in different hospital systems. Any tips for recovery will be welcome.

Welcome to the healing side, @Violet! Glad to read that your pain is under control. That makes it easier to give yourself the rest you need to heal.

I haven't been through a shoulder recovery, but I'm sure some of our other members will be along shortly to share their experiences. In the meantime, here is some general information about joint replacement recovery that may be helpful:
  • Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.
  • If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount.
  • Keep pain and discomfort under control: rest, ice, take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!) and don't overwork.
Good nutrition is very important during recovery: Dietary Tips for Recovery and Nutrition Basics

Also, here are some recovery challenges to be prepared for:
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thank you! I have my phone set. So far this is a lot easier than knee replacements, though more limiting. My son is a great cook. The hardest things are typing and keeping meds organized. A chart helps.

Keeping all the meds organized and on schedule really is a challenge!

Thank goodness for spreadsheets and phone alarms. :heehee:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Alabama girl57
Recent bookmarks