Recent content by Steph7409

  1. Steph7409

    THR Over and Up!

    @MountainGirl, it sounds like you had a great experience. I look forward to reading more about your recovery!
  2. Steph7409

    THR Surgeon won't speak to me....

    I've heard a lot of weird post-op restrictions, but not that one! I shaved my legs as soon as I got my staples out (the 2-week mark) and never gave it a thought. I've been bending over to put on shoes, etc. since week 4 or so - while still being cautious about it. I'm almost 3 months out now...
  3. Steph7409

    THR Had THR just over a week ago

    Good for you! My scar doesn't look as bad as I feared, either. And even if it did, I'm happy to be out of pain.
  4. Steph7409

    THR New Lease On Life

    shaa, I'm about a month ahead of you. I've been sleeping on my operated side - and for more than 3 hours at a time - for a few weeks now, so you'll be there soon. The sleep issues are hard but, as others have said, temporary. Like you, I was able to go back to my desk job after working at...
  5. Steph7409

    THR Had THR just over a week ago

    I was very emotional up until about the 2 week mark, then it got better - at about the same time I didn't need the pain meds anymore and really started feeling happy about my recovery. You'll get there soon!
  6. Steph7409

    THR WOOHOO I'm On The other Side

    I was afraid to look at my incision but had to change the bandage after a few days, and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I feared. I had very little swelling or redness, which was nice!
  7. Steph7409

    I took the plunge and scheduled my replacement

    I live alone and was worried about needing help, but found that I could pretty much take care of myself right from the start. I could get up and down the stairs fairly easily with my cane, so that was a big relief. I bought a bunch of gadgets beforehand: raised toilet seat, grabber, some tools...
  8. Steph7409

    Scared newbie... Hip is shot. What if it doesn't work!!??

    shrinkette, I too was worried that my surgery wouldn't fix me. I never had hip pain, just horrible pain all down my leg and constantly tight muscles (I couldn't lie on a flat surface and straighten my bad leg). But, less than 2 months post op, I can straighten that leg and have very little of...
  9. Steph7409

    THR 7 weeks out

    Thanks, all! The ankle-to-knee thing was an exercise I saw in a post-op pamphlet on the internet but I think I'll put that one aside. I think not being in pain is making me think I should be able to do anything now, which - of course! - isn't true. I'm going to stick to walking and my bike...
  10. Steph7409

    THR 7 weeks out

    I saw my doc last Friday and he was vague about my restrictions, other than to discourage me from bending too much at the waist. I've done a lot of Googling and have read what I can find about long-term restrictions but it seems there are no hard and fast rules. I don't want to to take...
  11. Steph7409

    THR 7 weeks out

    My recovery has been going really well. I was fortunate to have a combination of good weather and a flexible work schedule, so I was able to do a lot of walking over the last few weeks. Unfortunately, it's getting dark too early now for me to walk after work so I'll have to hope for decent...
  12. Steph7409

    THR Hit the Ground Runnin'

    I have one of those balls, so I'm going to try this one.
  13. Steph7409

    THR New Lease On Life

    I feel like my recovery has been great but I had those lower leg/foot pains for at least 3 weeks, so I don't think you should be alarmed. In fact, I'm 7 weeks out today and I still have some tenderness above my ankle. I didn't sleep more than 2-3 hours at a time until week 5, I think. Naps...
  14. Steph7409

    What to do when you won't have help....

    That's astonishing, that she won't help you. I'm glad you have friends who will step up. Placing the dogs for a couple of weeks might be a good idea, so you won't worry about them. I have cats, who are at least somewhat lower maintenance. And I'll have someone visiting every day, I think...
  15. Steph7409

    September Sapphires 2013 - Are You Having Hip Surgery In September?

    Thanks for the welcome. I too am nervous but hopeful. I'm so tired of limping! I'm off to do my little set of exercises.
Back
Top Bottom