Guest viewing is limited

Scared newbie... Hip is shot. What if it doesn't work!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm back. Ok, I knew about the MRSA issue & can only imagine the freaking out it engendered. OMG!! But... Problem solved and it's all systems go, right? Be assured your surgeon would not take unnecessary risks. They LOVE successful outcomes and their rate of infections is monitored and reportd. Remind me I said this when I'm going nuts, please.

Pillow: you talking about that nice big foam wedge? Makes much more sense than a STACK which topples, moves, smushes, & is just generally annoying. Wedge sounds great for elevating/icing. I will order one, also. I already own a grabber, but will get another so my husband doesn't have to substitute as much; I have 2 dressing sticks (1 for bedroom & 1 for bathroom), a sock aid altho I rarely wear them, but may end up n those non-skid ones you get in the hospital. God only knows what the shoe situation will be if there's swelling, unevenness, etc.

To respond to your question, nope...not doing well. Pain & the accompanying loss of functionality is increasing. Last night I had a meltdown, feeling so bleak and scared and hopeless. Cried & cried on my husband's chest curled up next to him. I don't know how he tolerates the depressed, bitchy, self-absorbed shell of the old me. But some days -- or parts thereof -- are better, & I feel emboldened by what I read here, ready to face the music with a 'what-shall-be-shall-be' kind of attitude. Like people here say, it's one big roller coaster ride -- on both sides. I was very happy to read your last paragraph -- a little light shining in that scary dark tunnel. You KNOW, Milli... You've been there... ARE there. Thank you so much. I can't tell you how much success I will be wishing for you on Monday!!!
 
Shadow09... Hi, there! I read in another thread that you had MAKOplasty. I am considering it strongly, and wonder how you made out. Just saw a specialist and was very impressed and encouraged. Thanks for your input.
Shrinkette - I am so sorry for not posting sooner!! :sad: I am not on these forums often and I chalk that up to a fantastic recovery and I believe that Makoplasty was a huge difference! I have a friend who had her hip done a few months before mine WITHOUT the Makoplasty and different surgeon - and she is having trouble with it partially dislocating and is going in for a revision the middle of next month. I am hiking and doing all things normally and most days I don't give my hip a fleeting glance. I recently flew to see grandkids and forgot about it until I had gotten through security - without so much as a pause by the TSA agents. :) That is good since I am headed to DISNEY WORLD to run around after grandkids in a little over a month! If you have not had your surgery yet - go with the MAKO!
 
Shadow09... Boy oh boy, was I glad to hear from you! I''m scheduled for anterior MAKO in January. Now I really feel good about making that choice. Did you have a CT scan sometime before the op to take measurements? Any restrictions post-op? My doc says no. I'm so miserable, I can't wait to feel no bone-on-bone pain!!! Did you have any leg length issues prior to surgery? So glad to know you're doing so well. It's a new lease on life, isn't it?!

Ellen
 
shrinkette That bone on bane can be so awful and disheartening and depressing and whatever else negative you can say about it. It doesn't stop and you can't get away from it and it just wrecks your life! Some days you just want to throw in the towel. More than half of my pain is gone -- the hip that was replaced already was the most painful, tho OS says the one tomorrow is actually worse on the x-rays.

Just try to hold on, knowing that a better day is ahead for you. You'll be so glad you did it.

PS the pillow I ordered is not just a plain wedge, it is sort of formed. I ordered it from Loungedoctor.com. I think they have a similar thing at Footsmart.com. I tried a plain wedge and it wasn't very comfortable.

Peace and love.
 
shrinkette, the lead time pre surgery is THE most anxious, depressing and frustrating time... We understand! We have all suffered the scary thought of the surgery, try focussing on the future.. Easier said than done I know, but I have a little activity that really seems to work for me... When I am stressed, I close my eyes and the first image that I can see is my favorite place, I find the images travel in just a split second and when I open my eyes I realise I am not quite as stressed and best if all, I can go there any time.. Maybe try it? :)
 
Poppet Thank you so much for that. As a psychotherapist I used to instruct my clients in techniques of progressive relaxation, which included visualization and "going to your favorite place" via any means you wanted to use to get there. I pictured a slow-moving, dimly-lit steep down-escalator at the bottom of which I would encounter huge heavy doors opening onto my bright "favorite place'. Something about the build-up of getting there was part of the process. Obviously, I needed reminding of this tool, having become so self-obsessed with all things painful and depressing. Also it's comforting to know that this behavior is typical pre-surgery angst. I guess the idea is that once you've made it through the op, the rest is a day-to-day stride toward increased mobility & normalcy.

You know, I seem to be tortured by the fear that for some i won't have the result others do. I must be nuts!!

Tell me, if you can: is it typical to visit one's OS after the initial consult? I called & spoke to his "scheduler" and she said it's really not necessary, but I can if I want to. Guess maybe I need reassurance of some kind, but don't want to waste his time. Any thoughts?
 
Josephine Poppet Jaycey and anybody else who may have some advice about an embarrassing issue that is worrying me: Both hips have OA; my left will be done in January & is far more painful, but right is also painful. My current practice is that to clean up after using the bathroom (toileting), I have to stand up and, holding one arm of the commode which is placed over the actual toilet, open my legs and bend forward somewhat (lovely visual, isn't it?). The sad fact of the matter is that I can't open my legs very much.

Question: How will I be able to perform this task after LTHR? Will I be able to open my stance a bit more on the left once I have my new knee? (The reason that I stand is because the commode seat is too narrow and I don't have room to get between legs). This has been nagging at me for months & is a real concern. Going to the gynecologist a few months ago was, in itself, a painfully humiliating near-impossible experience. Any reassurance out there? Always greatful for your insight & knowledge.

Ellen
 
Hi Ellen shrinkette, my goodness you are really struggling! My suggestion is a raised toilet seat - now if you can. Most people use these in the first 6 weeks post op to stay within any 90 degree restriction. Since you are having anterior you probably won't have any restrictions but you really shouldn't sit on anything very low just post op. You don't want to injure yourself trying to get up.

Regarding your flexibility - you will be pleasantly surprised how flexible that new hip is. All that pain gone!
 
Yes shrinkette, a raised toilet seat would seem essential for you. Also as Jaycey indicated you will be surprised with the flexibility of your new hip. The goal of your THR is to replace the parts of the hip joint that have been damaged and to relieve hip pain and provide the flexibility. Imagine a brand new mechanical hip ball and socket joint working just as it should...

[Bonesmart.org] Scared newbie... Hip is shot. What if it doesn't work!!??
 
Poppet & Jaycey... The toilet IS raised. I did that long ago when I had the knee issue. However, the elevation is not from a raised toilet seat per se, but from the commode FRAME (& its seat) that goes OVER the toilet bowl itself. So therefore I am sitting higher AND have arms to push up on. Does this make sense? But anyway, thanks to both of you for the added reassurance regarding flexibility. I know it's there, but just can't picture it.
 
shrinkette, I too was worried that my surgery wouldn't fix me. I never had hip pain, just horrible pain all down my leg and constantly tight muscles (I couldn't lie on a flat surface and straighten my bad leg). But, less than 2 months post op, I can straighten that leg and have very little of the old pain. My recovery went more smoothly than I thought possible and I feel terrific. So, take heart - you'll do great!
 
Hi Shrinkette, I just had an anterior THR on 10-21. You will be truly amazed at the results. I can't even tell that there is an implant in there. The lack of bone on bone pain is wonderful. Like everyone says the nervousness and fear before hand is the worst part. The actual proceedure was the easy part.

You can do this and you will be able to live your life again. Good luck with your surgery. I'll be looking for your recovery thread.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
 
"I don't know how he tolerates the depressed ,bitchy,self absorbed shell of the old me" Touche shrinkette ,that illustrates exactly how I felt.One example,last Christmas at my house,my wife,son,his wife and 4 of my grandaughters all sitting around enjoying the pleasantries and as I tried to get up one of my hips gave out on me and I knocked over a cup of coffee all over some sheet music I had on the table and as I tried to stop it I fell into the table and knocked it over which infuriated me and I said aloud how useless of an empty shell of a man I had become.Meanwhile I was still roofing 50 hours a week to have helped provide that Christmas.I promptly apologized for my childish outburst and joked about it as I cleaned up after myself to lighten the mood but inside I was infuriated with myself.This was way before even the remotest possibilityy of a hip replacement was in my future so I continued to focus on my incompotence at even the most trivial of tasks.Im sure every one of us can pull an example out of a long list of examples of what this debilitating degrading life sucking hip thing has done to our morale.The important thing now is to try to consider yourself as a hip issue survivor,youve taken the necassary steps,now its a waiting game.Unfortunately thats actually the hardest part as your hips will continue to degenerate and the pain increases.I'd swear the last month before surgery I thought my femoral head actually broke it hurt so bad and was making so much noise.Recovery aint easy so prepare for that.But it is recovery and you will recover,it just presents a differant set of finite obstacles.Where you are now the pain is infinite.Oh and if you think it was a pretty picture seeing any one of us using the toilet your wrong.Better days are coming my friend.Stop by my thread once in a while to see where your headed.I just ask for peace on Earth,I have grandkids,cant we all just get along?
 
G's Mom... Thank you so much for your posting today. So you're 10 days post-op & sound like you're doing well. That's fantastic! I truly am so afraid if this whole process. I keep thinking, "What if it works for everybody else & not for ME?" I know that is totally irrational, but I can't seem to get on top of it some days. Are you up and around ok? Much surgical pain? I got through a TKR, I keep telling myself -- I CAN DO THIS! Grrrr.
 
shrinkette Hi -- I am back home from the second THR. Please don't beat your self up about all the things you can't do properly now, even the most personal and "embarrassing" ones. They certainly are not your fault and do not diminish your value as a person. My hips were so shot I had the same issues you have described, and I worried and stressed over them. I even worried about making it to the bathroom on time, and there were times I didn't. It was awful, and I completely understand your pain and embarrassment.

Please believe that the surgery WILL work for you. I can't tell you how many times I worried about the same things -- like will it work for me? It WILL work for you. I was unable to do much of anything and fell into what I would characterize as a deep depression as the pain and immobility got worse by the day. I had a very hard time believing life could ever have any joy or meaning again. Chronic, unrelenting pain does that to you. As an active woman who was used to being in control of her own life and working in a job with a high level of responsibility, I was shocked that I could come to that. I felt completely useless and like I was a burden to those who were trying to help me.

BUT, the great news is that it WILL work. They literally cut away the parts that are causing you to hurt so much and replace them with parts that cannot hurt, because they are metal or ceramic or whatever. You'll instantly (yes) feel better, and as the days go on, you will feel even better! The surgical pain is SO much less than what you are used to dealing with every day. My left hip (the first one done) is almost completely pain free now. I can tell the second one will be there soon even though it is only three days old.

Please hang in there -- I know how hard it is. I got some of those Belleruth Napperstek CDs (relaxation and guided imagery) and used them each night when I was trying to go to sleep. They really helped. Prayer helped. I also thought ahead to the things I could do after my hips were fixed -- simple things like walking my dogs or going to the store. I wish I had something to advise that would get you through these next weeks without pain, fear, and embarrassment, but I really don't, because I didn't do it very well. But remember, there IS light at the end of this tunnel, you just have to get there. I got there with fear and gritted teeth, but I got there.

Peace and love to you, my fellow sufferer.
 
Shrinkette I was very scared too. Prior to September I had never had any other surgery. My blood pressure was very high the morning of the THR and I had to give myself an attitude adjustment :eek:

I took comfort in knowing that I did good research and picked a good surgeon and hospital. This site helped so much. 2 years of a life that got progressively more limited with never ending pain was enough.

It will work for you. The best part was the first step with no bone on bone pain. Your body is amazing in how it adapts. I seriously can't tell there is an implant in there. The second day my surgeon busted me bending over straightening my hospital bed. :D I have no restrictions.

I'm not going to tell you there isn't any pain because there is some. Like everyone says it's different and not any where near as bad as pre op pain.The front of my thigh is kind of numb so the incision doesn't really hurt. The meds and icing really take care of the rest.

You can do this and you'll be so glad you did.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
 
Awww...Butterfly... You are a darling to write so much after just getting home after your second surgery. First of all, I am SO glad for you that it's over & done with & you can begin/continue your "renaissance" -- because that sounds like what it really is, you know. Thank you most of all for sharing your experience as poignantly and accurately as you consistently have -- even when still facing your own terrors. This is clearly some sort of journey. I can tell you that as I become increasingly debilitated, I am visualizing happier days. One more thing: You were the first person to respond to my very first post, so you are very special to me here. I think you're probably pretty special anyway to those who know you and love you. Rest, ice, and elevate... And think good thoughts. If nothing else, think of how many of us you've undoubtedly helped. I am one of them. Enjoy recovering and the path to your new life. I know I'll get there, too.
 
Hello, everyone!! And especially Josephine... You'd be the expert on this. Here's a question I haven't seen addressed very much -- hopefully because it's mostly a non-issue: How common are blood transfusions post-op?? I understand that THR is less 'bloody' than TKR, but wondering. I had 1 transfusion the day I was discharged after TKR, and then more while in rehab due probably to a hematoma we didn't know I had at that point, which was causing my hemaglobin to drop, and then 2 more after surgery to remove the hematoma!! Recovery would be so much easier without these bumps in the road which were emotionally debilitating. (My knee turned out great, though!). What thinkest, you guys?
 
Roofmaster What a sweetie you are to say all that. I can see you totally identify with much of what I've expressed, and do so eloquently. You are very much your own person here, Mr. Roofie.. don't change and continue to tell it as you see it. The truth shall set us free!! LOL.
As usual, you make a lot of sense. I am glomming onto the idea that the pre-op pain is "infinite" whereas the recovery pain is temporary. I like that; it helps puts this thing in perspective. I also remind myself that I got thru a TKR!

Anyway, thrilled to hear about your Halloween trek with your grandchildren! I can't even remember when I went out 'for a walk' just for that sole purpose. What a concept!!! You seem to be doing great, give or take a few hiccups which are apparently to be expected during the journey to "oneself". I'm gonna get there, Roof Man. In some ways, fortunately for me, we are comfortably retired and I can therefore be a slug in the sense of preserving my hip & not subjecting it to overuse prior to The Knife. I walk around a bit and go out to restaurants, so I'm not totally indolent, but pretty close. All I need to complete the picture are a few friendly slaves feeding me grapes and fanning me with feathers! But that will change when I get to the proverbial 'other side'. I actually can't wait to food-shop, let alone take a vacation. Well, hoping this finds you able to do handsprings in the near future... I appreciate your unique perspective. Peace to all, indeed.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom