Guest viewing is limited

THR New Lease On Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well today was a better day. I have started taking the meds every five hours and it has helped a lot but the nights are still hard. I plan on trying to talk to my PC about it on Tuesday. Thanks for all the info and suggestions given
 
Oh, I am so pleased shaa do let us know how you go with your appointment :)
 
Welcome, Shaa. So sorry you are hurting. I hope you get your meds fixed here very soon. The prescription you have....does it say 1-2 tablets every 6 hours? If so, take the full dose and you'll see a big difference. I agree that you're just not keeping ahead of the pain. You know, you can also take Tylenol Extra Strength along with them and during the day. Just be sure you don't take any more than 1000 mg of the Tylenol at a time (count what is in any pain pills or cold/sinus medication too!) and no more than 4000 mg in a 24 hour period.
 
No it does not say one or two it says one which really surprised me cause in the hospital and rehab I was getting 2 every four hours. I am also taking Tylenol but they really do not do much I can not wait until I get off the blood thinner and can use my 800 mg Motrin I have a Rx for.
 
Well, then that doc that prescribed them for you was a lightweight who didn't understand this pain!!! Oh well....your idea to go with your GP is a good one.

Be sure when you take the Tylenol that you take 1000 mg at a time. That is considered a "full dose" for this type of pain. Less probably won't do much for you, it's true.
 
Well I am almost 4 weeks post op. I am able to walk some without the cane and I have started driving again. My family doctor also released me to return to work part time if I want to as long as I am taking the blood thinners. I am doing PT twice a week. I am still in some discomfort but it is getting better. My biggest problem now is the lack of sleep I am experiencing. I am not able to sleep for more than three hours at a time and I am feeling so run down now. The only way I am able to even get any sleep I have to ice while sleeping. Is the sleep thing normal, it is really depressing me.
 
[Bonesmart.org] New Lease On Life
Can't sleep?
[Bonesmart.org] New Lease On Life
Exhausted? Welcome to the wonderful
world of recovery from THR : ). Remember these: Energy drain for THRs
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

These are just unfortunate side effects of the surgery---they will pass with TIME & PATIENCE, shaa.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
bottomshollow The lady in the picture above with the dead sheep all around at 3:00 AM is ME! Love that picture.

I have counted 410,632,410,004 sheep and I'm runnin' out of sheep. Maybe I'll try counting kangaroos.
 
Butterfly, I believe the irony of that picture is that the sheep are sleeping (not dead) while the lady in the bed is wide awake. You will eventually be able to sleep "normally"---but like I always say, it's going to take TIME & PATIENCE; but you'll get there eventually.
 
Icing while you sleep is an excellent thing to do!!! It can really help you feel more comfortable when you're lying still trying to sleep.

Everything you're experiencing is normal. Remember, you may be starting to feel great at 4 weeks, but your body is still very much in a healing mode. Recovery takes longer than that!!! Slowly, slowly you'll get better, but it's 100% on your body's terms....not yours, not your employer's and not even your doctor's time schedule. The body is in charge!
 
bottomshollow OOPS! I thought the sheep were dead because the lady had just worn them out because she had counted them so much! Anyway, that lady in the bed is still ME!

Funny how I'm SOOOOO sleepy during the day, but the minute bedtime comes -- wide awake. Oh well, this too shall pass. Beats the heck out of all that pre-surgery pain, anyway.
 
I am the same way. So sleepy all day but when time to go to sleep can not sleep for the life of me.
 
The sleep issue is very normal, unfortunately. It does help to be adequately medicated, although that's not a guarantee. For a lot of us, sleeping on our back is just plain difficult, and it can be a while before we manage side sleeping again. Be generous with pillows to help you though. Keep one under your legs if you are sleeping on your back. If you're ready to try sleeping on your non-operated side, use a pillow on your front side to help you not swing your leg over too far. And possibly one by your back side to keep you propped up. Complicated....yes, it does seem so at first. In a couple more weeks, the worst will be over....hang in. You're really doing quite well.

Sharon
 
I have been sleeping on my side now for about two weeks. The doctor and PT said it was alright as long as I kept a pillow between my legs. It took a bit to get use to but I am getting there. I am really looking forward to being able one of these years to sleep on my operated side since that is the side I usually sleep on. I sure hope I can do that sooner than later.
 
Hi shaa I see your still having trouble sleeping.Join the club lady,I slept horribly before my surgeries and thats been upgraded to terribly now.I see you say you cant sleep more than 3 hours at a time,I wish I could be so lucky.My hips are perfectly fine with no pain or discomfort hardly ever,unless I overdue it with exercise and even then its usually not the hips but the muscles around them.So at least when I do wake up during the night Im not writhing in pain like I was pre-op and Im able to doze right off again.Wow,youve been cleared to go back to work already?Dont YOU think its a little to soon?Good luck.Peace.
 
I am only doing like three or four hours a day. My job is pretty laid back all I do is sit at my desk and do the bookkeeping or answer phones so I am not really over doing it. I was working from home before this so the only difference is driving to the office It is a small office only three of us so they are real understanding and if I am getting tired or need to take a break they are there to back me up. The boss even said to come in after rush hour and leave before night rush hour so I am not stuck in the car in traffic. I am going to do this for a few weeks while I keep building up my strength. I actually think it is helping me cause I feel like I have more energy now.
 
I see your still having trouble sleeping.Join the club lady,I slept horribly before my surgeries and thats been upgraded to terribly now.

Not to laugh at your pain Roofmaster, but you are so funny! :loll: Count me as part of the club too. I wish I could get 3 solid hours without waking. :gaah:
 
Shaa
two weeks out and you are doing a little walking WITHOUT the cane? wow

and you think you are not progressing fast enough....you're a super hero :)

I take it your hip was the cemented type?

I have ank spon and I HAVE to do all these exercises for life...and like the exercises for post op THRs, it's very easy to step over the line. There is a very tight dividing line between not doing enough and over doing things completely.one little "mistake " with my AS exercises and I could be out the game for months

you are doing great.take care
John
 
shaa, I'm about a month ahead of you. I've been sleeping on my operated side - and for more than 3 hours at a time - for a few weeks now, so you'll be there soon. The sleep issues are hard but, as others have said, temporary. Like you, I was able to go back to my desk job after working at home for the first couple of weeks and was glad I could leave early and take a nap every afternoon. It sounds like your recovery is going well, so hang in there!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom