Guest viewing is limited

What to do when you won't have help....

Status
Not open for further replies.
OH, Sassypants -- I'm so glad to see you back here. You've been on my mind and I've been wondering how you've been doing. SOO glad that your son has agreed to go with you to the class.

Peace and love to you.
 
Thanks so much Butterfly! I'm glad too - and we will even have fun! It's a trip to the big city for us right in time for back to school shopping. Seems like a win-win :)
 
Yes -- it should be fun! Can you get around well enough to really enjoy it? I hope so. How are you feeling?

Again, so glad you've rejoined us.

Peace and love to you.
 
Well done SP! Please let us know how your class goes.
 
Sassypants, so pleased that one of your children will be attending the class with you... Let us know how it goes :)
 
A quick thanks for the links in the post upthread. I live alone and am a little concerned, although I have friends and family who will be helping out. And I found a long-handled kitty litter scoop, so there's one problem solved!
 
I won't have much help either even though my daughter and grandson live with me. She's 24 and he's 4. Actually he helps me out much more than she does. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with both my dogs, she refuses to take care of them for me. I'm debating having someone come in or sending them to a friend's for two weeks. I think I could handle them after a couple of weeks. I'll be alone during the day and have already set up my bedroom with food/drinks and an electric cooler in case I don't want to go downstairs to the kitchen. I also got a cane and a long handled reacher and have practiced using it. My co-workers have been bringing frozen hotdishes and soups in for me to stock up on so I don't have to cook and they will be checking up on me at home from time to time. I bought a Nook Tablet so I can read/watch movies and have been diligently doing my pre-op exercises. I'm very dissappointed in my daughter and her behavior, she expects me to care for her son after I get home from the hospital on Mon and Wed nights when she goes to college, but I don't think I can for at least a couple of weeks. She doesn't help now with dishes, taking out garbage or cleaning, so I don't expect that she will after my surgery either. It's very frustrating to say the least.
 
That's astonishing, that she won't help you. I'm glad you have friends who will step up. Placing the dogs for a couple of weeks might be a good idea, so you won't worry about them. I have cats, who are at least somewhat lower maintenance. And I'll have someone visiting every day, I think. I've also got a cane and a reacher, and am borrowing a small fridge so I can have cold water to drink without going downstairs. My TV and computer are upstairs, too, so I'm in good shape. I hope your grandson will help by fetching things for you, at least!
 
Deafdogz That's sad that your daughter will not take over the responsibilities for you when you need her. She is a big girl who shouldn't be depending on you anymore especially because she has a son. I couldn't turn my children away ever if they needed me but they would always be there if I needed them too. My daughter, who lives over an hour away, after my surgery came to my home cooked and cleaned the two days she had off work that week. Have you had a discussion with her letting her know how much you need back the help that you have been giving to her? You will need help for the first few weeks after surgery, you will not be able to take care of a four year old. You will need to be taking pain med's which will cause you to sleep a lot, it wouldn't be safe to have you alone with a child of that age.
 
Far to much pampering by the sounds of it, It is going to take you the best part of 12 weeks before you are semi normal ie moving about then you have to take things easy some people take a tad longer to recover.
The worst senario is for you to push yourself to hard and cause swelling or a set back then this will make the healing process even longer.
Something simple like taking a bath to early six weeks instead of eight set me back a week or two so take care sassypants haven't you got any nice neighbours that could possibly help out.

Billy
 
Deafdogz I also find it astonishing to hear that a grown child won't help you, especially since she and her child are living under your roof. Maybe I am an old fogey who hasn't changed with the times, but whatever happened to our sense of family and responsibility and I"ll be there for you and you'll be there for me kind of thinking??? Does she not realize or appreciate the tremendous amount of help you are giving her on a daily basis by providing a home for her and her child? Perhaps it is time for a heart-to-heart talk with her about responsibility and give and take. AND, there is no way you will safely be able to take care of a four year old. It isn't safe for you and most certainly isn't safe for the child. It will be hard enough just taking care of yourself by yourself. This is a time where you must be concentrating on yourself and on your own recovery, not chasing a four year old. I don't mean to sound harsh or mean, but you really need HER help right now, not vice versa.

I will be praying for you.

Peace and love to you.
 
Hi, Sassypants. I'm glad your youngest one is accompanying you to the pre-op session. In my humble opinion, it doesn't matter so much that our friends and family are reluctant helpers. It's more important to have them there during the times you really need them. Like the mandatory pre-op thing. I mean, a year from now, when you're well on your way to recovery, it won't matter whether your kid didn't want to be there, or had to be bribed. And for him, when he is much older, he will certainly feel better that he overcame his reluctance--by whatever means!--and was with you.

I live alone and only had a cousin to help. She flew in from far away so she could take me to the hospital; stayed in my apt. while I was in the hospital and made it ready for me; helped me get from the hospital into a car from a car service, which took me home. She had to leave on the fourth day after I returned. So I was on my own from that point on. I didn't like it, I won't lie. I was scared to death. But I made it. I had my cane and grabber-reacher at my bedside; a flashlight, phone and phone numbers always at the ready. The surgeon told me I could contact his nurse via phone or email at any time for any questions, so that was a huge relief. Also, the ins. co.'s visiting nurse, and the physical/occupational therapist, arrived on the very day I got home from the hospital. The nurse was kind of a joke; but the PT/OT lovely, and helpful. It was better than no one. I had an overzealous neighbor-friend whose hovering was not helpful as she just never understood my surgery at all and had bizarre commentary and reactions. One minute she acted like I was a fraud since I didn't come home in an ambulance and wasn't lying in bed or in a wheelchair. Another minute she'd be frantic if I didn't pick up the phone immediately, as if I were on my death bed. Well, I wasn't on my death bed. I was in the bathroom, getting acquainted with my new roommate: the infamous toilet riser (the source of many post-op jokes here on BoneSmart). Another neighbor-friend was hugely helpful, but I hated to impose on her much. Some of my friends from decades on went MIA. Couldn't deal with it. Others who would have done anything for me were just too far away and literally unavailable. In the end, I was pretty much alone for all of it. And I made it. But I hated it. So ... if you have friends or neighbors who can help and I mean help in a way that really helps you, let them do what they can. And consider going to a rehab place if your ins. covers it. That's what I'll probably do when (if?) I have my other hip done, as I can't ask my cousin to come back for an Act II.

I highly suggest hanging around BoneSmart and reading some of our early post-op sagas. You will see some things in common, which will help you when you experience them, too: prunes versus prune juice is one of them.
 
Deafdogz I am so sorry to hear about your problems too. It is a very big worry - the last thing you need to be doing is caring for a little one while recuperating. I guess female children can be just as selfish and unhelpful as boys can. You might have to insist she get a sitter for a month or so to allow you time to rest. I'm lucky in that mine are teenagers and are pretty much never home! My teaching appointment showed my youngest that I really will need help, so I think he is getting his head around that. The middle one surprised me with some landscaping while we were in Edmonton - I am feeling more hopeful now :) See if your daughter will watch a video of surgery and recovery - that might help.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom