Recent content by pkuznets

  1. pkuznets

    New hip here

    I’m a college instructor and went back to work at exactly 4 week’s post op. I would not recommend it! Yes, I could walk and sit without pain, but my body was very actively engaged in repairing and healing the hip—and my mental/intellectual acuity suffered as a result. It was almost terrifying to...
  2. pkuznets

    THR Home!

    Congrats on your new hip! Those first few weeks involve ICE and more ICE in conjunction with meds and plenty of rest. Don’t try to expect much from your body—it’s busy recovering from trauma and creating new tissue! I also had the anterior approach and found myself feeling farther along in the...
  3. pkuznets

    Bilateral Anterolateral Approach

    Hi @stellaluna , I have had both of my hips replaced—not bi-laterally though. My most recent procedure took place Dec. 11 (anterior). I practiced yoga right up until the very day before my surgery, albeit in constant pain and with limited range of motion by then. My OS insisted that I had NO...
  4. pkuznets

    THR Bumblebee in Recovery

    :ice:Welcome to the beginning of your best new you! Ice as if your life depended on it Cheers, Patrikya
  5. pkuznets

    THR Patrikya’s THR recovery journey

    Keeping it slow and simple has made a world of difference for me! Now just over 2 months post-op, and my new hip seems like old news. Still taking it easy on the yoga...modifying and being mindful of my prosthesis as part of the journey. No subluxations, twinges, or snapping sensations since...
  6. pkuznets

    March Musketeers

    I live by myself, too. Well, with 2 cats and 2 dogs. I kenneled my pooches for a week, so I could concentrate on my recovery. I prepared my home in advance (this was my 2nd THR, so I had a good idea of my post-surgery needs). I didn't find I needed someone to stay with me-- it worked out...
  7. pkuznets

    THR Patrikya’s THR recovery journey

    @Layla Because my Orthopedic surgeon seemed so perplexed about how my hip could possibly sublux let alone dislocate based on my description of the event/position, I decided to read some scholarly medical journal articles in which researchers explore “issues” related to newly-placed hips that...
  8. pkuznets

    THR Patrikya’s THR recovery journey

    Well, it’s been one week since I had my subluxation-scare, and I wanted to provide an update. This entire past week, I really concentrated on babying my hip by keeping range-of-motion-based activities at a minimum and icing my hip again 3-4 times per day. I did EVERYTHING extra-carefully—from...
  9. pkuznets

    Feb 21st Left THR Scheduled

    Hi @SMSBD, I know exactly what you mean about the pre-surgery pain; it is indescribable to anyone who hasn’t suffered under the tyranny of arthritis! I’m also located in th U.S., and my insurance covered the cost of the walker. I didn’t use an ice machine, but I purchased re-freezable ice packs...
  10. pkuznets

    New hip feb 6

    Oh my goodness! YES your lives will be different on day one home from the hospital! Your family will sense the optimism and hope that you’ll inadvertently generate during recovery. All of a sudden, you find yourself making plans—REAL plans—again. This surgery gives everyone in the family...
  11. pkuznets

    Considering A Replacement - New Haven, CT

    @KHill Welcome to this wonderful community—you will find amazing information and encouragement here! I can understand your concerns about “being young” for THR. But you’ve already given up things that you are technically too young to give up: your ability to walk, sit, stand, and sleep—not to...
  12. pkuznets

    THR MyDog's New Second Hip

    @mydog Welcome to the bright side! Sounds like you have everything dialed-in and set for an uneventful recovery. So glad you didn’t have the B-team...I would have been wondering the same thing :beg: I, too, found my second THR easier and less traumatic than my first one—maybe we just get better...
  13. pkuznets

    THR Patrikya’s THR recovery journey

    @Layla Thanks for checking-in with me. Yes, stiffness is receding and my normal bounce in my step returning. I’ve become much more conscious of treating my recovery with respect and not trying to rush it :good-bad:. I think the anterior approach tricked my brain into thinking that I had somehow...
  14. pkuznets

    New hip feb 6

    Welcome, @hipster333 , It’s totally normal to feel nervous and afraid about a major surgery. The whole THR process is quite seamless, and recovery is almost a joy since it signals that (1) you’re out of chronic pain and (2) rehabilitating into a bigger, better life. Your family will rally better...
  15. pkuznets

    Sequin98's Pre-op Journey

    Yikes! Just the picture made me grimace and grab my hips! There are so many other, safer, gentler, less-risky options available...or maybe it’s my inner klutz recoiling in fear :treadmill:
Back
Top Bottom