Recent content by MissJ

  1. MissJ

    Bilateral TKR Luisa's road to recovery June 10th, 2013

    Luisa - it's great to hear from you and to hear you're doing so well. I remember you making the job decision - how wonderful that it's going well and you enjoy it. I too just finished school (ah!) - always such a rush at the end. Re: Swelling. I don't get lots of it, prob. in part because my...
  2. MissJ

    Bilateral TKR 2½ weeks and going strong on BTKR

    Thanks, Midwest Girl and Skigirl! I will follow your advice. I am mainly excited about the trip. If my knees get hot and a little bit sore, we'll just have to spend more time in the pub.
  3. MissJ

    Bilateral TKR March 26, 2014

    Oh, how I wish I could be there to tell you to SLOW DOWN and SIT DOWN more. I am a 14 months out and even now am not 100% back to all I did before. BTKR recovery is not a contest you have to win, or training that you must do to be fit, etc. Be kind to your knees and yourself. It's tough to...
  4. MissJ

    Bilateral TKR 2½ weeks and going strong on BTKR

    If anyone is reading this… I travel to Ireland in a week. I am thinking it might be helpful (?) to wear TED hose on the plane. However I don't really want to go back to the thigh-highs I wore during knee recovery. Any ideas/suggestions on how to handle a transatlantic plane ride w/the new...
  5. MissJ

    Bilateral TKR BTKR ~~ May 13, 2013 ~~ Post-Op

    Yay hooray on your anniversary! It's so exciting to have that year done. At the same time, I think our new knees are still recovering and strengthening - it seems as though every 3 months I can do a little more. I'm sorry to hear about the digging incident (are you trying to hide your...
  6. MissJ

    Bilateral TKR Got out of surgery at about 5pm 6/4/2013

    Joan YAY! I am so excited. It's hard to believe a year has gone by already (although a year ago, each month seemed to take an age). You clearly are enjoying life and able to LIVE life. You paid it forward here on Bonesmart, encouraging others and staying in touch. Give your knees a cupcake...
  7. MissJ

    Bilateral TKR BTKR ~~ May 13, 2013 ~~ Post-Op

    p.s. The forward bends are also a way to practice my balance - I am still having some balance issues; I can be standing still & then suddenly lurch a bit. If I think of it I sometimes try to stand with one leg up & bent (as though I was about to march)...not for long, but to get a sense of balance.
  8. MissJ

    Bilateral TKR BTKR ~~ May 13, 2013 ~~ Post-Op

    For a long time I did only PT-type exercises - One of my "core" exercises (haha) is lying down, pillow under head, roll under hips. I "blow down" my ribcage---try to get it to touch my belly button & imagine the belly button digging into the surface I'm on. Once I've warmed up, I take a stick...
  9. MissJ

    Bilateral TKR BTKR ~~ May 13, 2013 ~~ Post-Op

    Congratulations, Izzie! Isn't it amazing what a difference a few months can make? Your report is wonderful. I agree; the new knees are not the same as the old ones (a few aches and such) - but isn't it great to know you can stand up and take a step - without groaning, waiting for the knee to...
  10. MissJ

    Bilateral TKR in May.

    Hi and welcome to Bonesmart! I had my BTKR a year ago today. Congratulations on making a wise decision - one and DONE. I am a little curious as to why your OS is going to general anesthesia - around here (Lincoln NE) the usual thing is to have an epidural and Versed, though I did have general...
  11. MissJ

    Bilateral TKR 2½ weeks and going strong on BTKR

    So today's the day: ONE YEAR! Happy birthday to Eppie & Popo, the new knees. My sister reminded me today that, in the first weeks of healing, I kept saying, "I wish it was a year from now." Ha! The year is here, and I almost forgot about it. The knees work well. At work, I usually take the...
  12. MissJ

    Bilateral TKR Got out of surgery at about 5pm 6/4/2013

    Hooray! Today is my ONE YEAR anniversary and I'm about to post. I'm so glad you found a workout routine where your hip doesn't hurt. In a month or two I will attempt riding a real bike (not just the stationary). We have come a long way! The #1 thing that amazes me now:I always take the...
  13. MissJ

    Bilateral TKR Questions and Help Appreciated

    p.s. as for your friend - are there things she could do for you--run errands, buy toiletries that your husband wouldn't find, etc? I had one friend who just dropped by cookies for me once a week from a certain bakery--sometimes she simply left them at the door w/ a card. Assign her to send you...
  14. MissJ

    Bilateral TKR Questions and Help Appreciated

    Hello- I just saw your thread. First, congratulations on having the surgery done! BTKR is the only way to go when you KNOW both knees need replacement. Your tiredness, lack of energy for socializing or running errands, etc. is all perfectly normal, just as everyone else has said. About...
  15. MissJ

    Bilateral TKR Got out of surgery at about 5pm 6/4/2013

    What a great update, Joan! You always find a solution in order to be active and keep improving. I hope the dr. has some helpful thoughts about your hip. It's frustrating to have these great knees and then have other joints act up. A co-worker was in Seattle last week for a convention (I was...
Back
Top Bottom