Bilateral TKR 2½ weeks and going strong on BTKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today's the day: ONE YEAR! Happy birthday to Eppie & Popo, the new knees.

My sister reminded me today that, in the first weeks of healing, I kept saying, "I wish it was a year from now." Ha! The year is here, and I almost forgot about it.

The knees work well. At work, I usually take the stairs instead of the elevator…without thinking about taking the stairs. Last week I had a series of events to go to downtown and didn't think twice about having to walk several blocks between them. Due to construction, I park 3 blocks away from my workplace - no handicapped sticker for me anymore! Last week I traveled by plane for the first time - no worries (though I did have to sit on the aisle so that I could kick out a leg occasionally).

The biggest accomplishment is that my husband and I are at long last taking a trip to Ireland in June. We met about three and half years ago; every year he has wanted us to plan a trip to Ireland. In January 2013 I finally had to tell him the surgery must come first; any thought of being on a plane, let alone tramping around Ireland, filled me with fear and dread. Now I know I am ready.

I walk for exercise, mostly at the gym - 1/2 hour 3-4 times a week - and also use the stationary bike. Now that our weather has perked up I plan to get walking poles for outside and to try my "real" bike (though it might be another few months or a year before I'm strong enough to make that work).

To anyone making that difficult decision about total replacement, I say: DO IT. Get back to living life, to not worrying about every step or every instance of getting up from a chair. My knees do not "feel real" and probably never will; I am aware of them a lot of the time; and yes, sometimes they ache after extended activity. But I can walk, go up and down stairs, and…LIVE.
Thanks to all Bonesmarties for your continued support!
j
 
@MissJ congratulations on your 1 yr anniversary!!! I really enjoyed reading your recovery thread. I too am from Nebraska! I'll be doing a TRKA next month and then the left knee sometime in the future. Wishing you continued healing! Enjoy Ireland!!
 
I just read your post from April 5th, again, Congratulations! Ireland in June!!! Wow! That is so wonderful. Your new knees will make it a joyful adventure! :dancy:
 
If anyone is reading this…
I travel to Ireland in a week. I am thinking it might be helpful (?) to wear TED hose on the plane. However I don't really want to go back to the thigh-highs I wore during knee recovery.

Any ideas/suggestions on how to handle a transatlantic plane ride w/the new knees? Thanks!
 
Let's see, you are a year out and if you don't have a history of clots---I would just get some of the knee hi socks and wear them. that is what I do---I make an effort to flex my ankles a lot and I get up to go to the bathroom once an hour for a little stroll.
 
Anytime I fly or travel in a car for long distances, I wear knee hi TED hose. It's just worth it if it helps prevent the risk of dvt.
 
Thanks, Midwest Girl and Skigirl! I will follow your advice.

I am mainly excited about the trip. If my knees get hot and a little bit sore, we'll just have to spend more time in the pub.
 
Hi MissJ Wishing you congratulations on your first year anniversary. It seems like the recovery goes on for forever but then looking back it seems like it went fast. Wishing you a wonderful holiday and enjoyment of being able to get around so much easier then before surgery. Hope you have a wonderful time well deserved break. Holly
 
Congrats on the 1 year Miss J. I will be joining you tomorrow! Have a great trip! You should be fine!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom