Recent content by metalheart

  1. metalheart

    TKR Recovery the Clipless Way

    I was early on the recovery of my January 2015 right knee when I went on a trip to San Francisco with my wife. We found a reasonable hotel downtown, unpacked our bags and began to settle-in. I went to the bathroom and as I gingerly lowered myself onto the seat I suddenly dropped about 20 inches...
  2. metalheart

    Bilateral TKR Analysta's BTKR diary

    Glad to hear your recovery is going well. The stair thing does get easier, but it takes more time than I thought it would. During both my recoveries I had the little burning sensations, almost in the same spot on both knees. The black circle in the image shows how localized it was, but it was...
  3. metalheart

    TKR Dearjr's new knee

    About the clunking, here is my experience with my January 2015 knee: My knee clunked for the first 4-5 months. After I started cycling again and did some gym work to build up my legs, then about month 6 the clunking went away. Then I had surgery in August 2015 for the other knee and had clunking...
  4. metalheart

    TKR Recovery the Clipless Way

    Good to see that you are back on the bike. I am sure your experience with your first knee will make a difference in recovery for the second. I had planned to wait for my second until January, but my left knee was painful enough I had surgery in August (my right knee was done in January 2015)...
  5. metalheart

    TKR TKR #2 --Left Knee -- (August 5 2015)

    The now-gone varus in the left leg in that image gave me lots of issues while cycling and having two straight legs means fewer problems getting comfortable on the bike. But, there are lots of readjustments to make and those will be a process to get comfortable again. I decided to wait until the...
  6. metalheart

    TKR TKR #2 --Left Knee -- (August 5 2015)

    Peter: I did a quick search about drains and bruising and apparently the use of drains in general and reinfusion drains in particular is controversial. The quick search also did not find much information about the relationship between bruising and drains, but I did find some oblique comments...
  7. metalheart

    TKR TKR #2 --Left Knee -- (August 5 2015)

    If I used the stretch in the image and I had to get up, I would call 911 :loll:. Here is how I do the stretch: 1: place stool behind me with a counter or wall in front. 2. I face the stool then turn around and place my foot on the stool so I am facing away from it. 3. using the wall or counter...
  8. metalheart

    TKR TKR #2 --Left Knee -- (August 5 2015)

    Maybe he drains do have something to do with bruising. I am always surprised when I see images here with large amounts of bruising and I am curious why that did not happen with either of my surgeries. But, the drain removal is forever in my memory, more the first one than the second. The first...
  9. metalheart

    TKR TKR #2 --Left Knee -- (August 5 2015)

    Wantotbebiking: I think we all have recovery benchmarks and going down stairs is a big one. Fortunately, I can do that most of the time, but I do get lazy and one-leg it until, but then remember that I can do it and need to do it for continuing recovery. The benchmark I have yet to achieve is...
  10. metalheart

    TKR TKR #2 --Left Knee -- (August 5 2015)

    I haven't stopped in for awhile, so it seems time for an update just to keep this knee in synch with TKR#1. I had my three month doctor visit: full leg X-Ray followed by an exam by the doc's PT, then the Doc goes over everything. I came in with concerns that ROM was not as the same as the first...
  11. metalheart

    Bilateral TKR Analysta's BTKR diary

    Just wanted to check-in and see how you are doing and it looks as if the hydrocodone has been a challenge. So, I can relate. First TKR, had withdrawal symptoms and it took me a while to find the right tapering for me, but it eventually worked, With this second surgery, I took less Norco...
  12. metalheart

    TKR TKR #2 --Left Knee -- (August 5 2015)

    After some reflection, I realize it is time to move on from bonesmart. My sincere thanks to all who have shared their experiences and my best wishes for a healthy future.
  13. metalheart

    TKR Approximate 2 year update

    Just found your recovery thread ... wow...... you are doing well
  14. metalheart

    TKR Dearjr's new knee

    I still have some numbness in my right knee from surgery in January. My left knee (surgery in August) has similar numbness, but not as much as the right. About the strange sensation you mention. About week 5 or 6 or so for my first TKR, I had a VERY sensitive spot on my right knee, very...
  15. metalheart

    TKR TKR #2 --Left Knee -- (August 5 2015)

    Wantobebiking: Yes, we are lucky to be doing well and looking forward to returning to biking after this experience. Those who have difficult recoveries are on a different path and it is definitely a hard one and they have my respect: I think we know how hard it can be and I appreciate that my...
Back
Top Bottom