Recent content by MaxBuck

  1. M

    THR MaxBuck's Recovery

    Just a quick stop back after 12 months to report that I'm doing great. I really don't think about the hip anymore. No need to mention anything to TSA, since they now run everyone through the MRI scanner rather than metal detector. Do I still have occasional pain in the hip? Yes ... just...
  2. M

    Hi I'm new here but I brought brownies!

    Interesting stuff. I'd been taught that "scones" rhymes with "buns," with the annotation that's precisely where they end up upon being metabolized ...
  3. M

    Am I being too eager??? Advice needed please

    beckylou, I was in no way "in agony" when I had my THR. But my hip was causing me to not enjoy too many things that were important to me, primarily restricting my activity level (fairly short walks only) and preventing me from playing golf in the way I was accustomed. There's no rule that...
  4. M

    LeftBrain - 1-April-2013

    LeftBrain, I drove a car 10 days after surgery on my right hip, but that's not common ... I had anterior approach, which provides substantial flexibility relative to other approaches. Bottom line: everyone is different, and it's really impossible to predict how long it will be before driving...
  5. M

    THR MaxBuck's Recovery

    @nerdgrrl, the Art Smith is fairly rugged and shouldn't be tried if you're not completely comfortable with rough terrain and some fairly steep climbs and descents (I'd guess ~15% in some cases). I'd recommend use of a walking staff, though I didn't have one; took it very easy, especially coming...
  6. M

    THR MaxBuck's Recovery

    Brief update here. Just got back from vacation in the SoCal desert, including 5 rounds of golf and hiking on the Art Smith trail - which includes about 2,000 feet of climb in a bit over 4 miles of hike (and back down again). Photos here: Prickly pears were in bloom - just gorgeous! View...
  7. M

    THR MaxBuck's Recovery

    Just a quick update. Had my 3-month checkup this week; my doc was very pleased with the x-rays and the healing of the incision. No need to return till 12 months from now. Oh, and I went to the indoor range to hit some golf balls. The slo-mo video showed me that I'm now able to make the kind...
  8. M

    THR Here I am!!

    Texas Girl, the best thing I have found for the scar, seriously, is good single-malt scotch. Taken internally. With a large enough dose the scar practically disappears.
  9. M

    THR Post-THR Twins Born!

    Congratulations!
  10. M

    THR Recovery going TOO well?

    What a great attitude. YoungGma, you'll do great. Thanks for keeping us posted.
  11. M

    THR MaxBuck's Recovery

    "Eats and bounds" about describes my trip, Poppet! My daughter is a runner and can eat a lot of calories, so I have to watch myself around her. We ate at some great places. Fortunately I figure I averaged about 7 miles a day walking (seldom took subways) so that helped. Forgot to mention...
  12. M

    THR MaxBuck's Recovery

    I found all I needed to do was mention the prosthesis and TSA directed me to the right place. No probs. Walked a boatload in NYC with my daughter last week. Great times. Also caught a Nets game in Brooklyn, walking across the Brooklyn Bridge along the way. Hadn't seen pro hoop in about 35...
  13. M

    THR MaxBuck's Recovery

    Just a quick update. Doing great; the only times I am aware of my new prosthesis are as follows: when I tie my right shoe when I roll around on the hard floor with our dog when I go through airport security (need to tell the staff and make sure I go through the proper security check) I'm able...
  14. M

    Hip Resurfacing Lost motivation

    benzscotland, the pain from gout can make what most people experience from their hip seem minor, during a severe flare. I've had success moderating its effects using cider vinegar and tart cherry juice.
  15. M

    Anterior THR

    What an informative post. And it goes to reinforce how fortunate I was; my OS had been trained extensively in anterior THR in his fellowship year, so that's really all he has done (and he does a bunch - averages about 300 a year). He is also chief of trauma ortho at his hospital, which seems...
Back
Top Bottom