THR Here I am!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't need to put anything on your scar. I will fade to nearly nothing on it's own.
 
I remember hearing that cocoa butter would help scars disappear. I just Googled old wives tales about scars and came across this, which makes a lot of sense.

broken link removed: https://www.fitnessmagazine.com/beauty/skin-care/clear/best-scar-treatments/
 
Hey Texas Girl I use vitamin E oil on my incision. Bought it in the nail care section of Walmart. It was cheapest there. My incision looks great. I use it after I get out of the shower. It's healing very nicely and started to fade from pink already.

I have used the pool before on previous hip surgeries. I loved it!!! The temp of a PT pol is usually kept warmer than a regular pool. Made the exercises easier, but used more muscles. I hope you enjoy it.
 
Thanks JJ! I haven't tackled Walmart just yet. Went to Kroger's Grocery store and that was enough for me. LOL I am going to have my first pool therapy tomorrow morning and looking forward to it. I miss my hot baths, so maybe the pool will be warm as you said. I don't think I can get down that low to try to soak in the tub. Hope you are doing well!
 
Thanks John for the link. Looks like there are all kinds of things to try. Maybe I will do as Jaycey said and jsut leave it alone. My PT has run a laser over it a few times. That is supposed to help it heal she said. Hope you are feeli ng well!
 
TG, you can also use pure coconut oil on your incision when it is fully healed.. It is an antiseptic, antibacterial and very soothing..

Enjoy the pool :)
 
Hi Texas Girl! Don't worry about using your cane. My OS wanted me to use it until my limp was gone. At about 2.5 months, I kept forgetting it. I still had a bit of a limp when I got tired, so I kept brining it with me, just in case. One day I decided to leave it home. The next day I took it to work, but forgot to use it half the time. Then, one day, I realized that I had gone for an entire week without it. Don't rush it. It will happen naturally. I didn't particuarly LIKE using it, but did so because it was recommended. (I used to store it in the waste can!) Do you exercises and let your muscles get strong at their own pace.
 
Hi texasgirl- I have been using vitamin E oil, mostly because it is supposed to help with scars, but also because it is thick and helps me really massage the scar, which helps break up adhesions in the scar area.
 
I am considering water aerobics. My son works at the YMCA and has a degree in Health & Human Fitness. He thinks it would benefit me and help with some of the residual stiffness I am experiencing. Vitamin E is good for scars but I would wait to be sure it is closed and healed properly. No one wants a nasty infection in your incision site. My scar isn't bad at all and part of it is almost non existent. It's amazing how quickly our bodies can bounce back. Don't get discouraged if you aren't progressing as fast as others are. It depends on how much trauma your hip had, whether or not you had minimally invasive or standard procedure, whether your OS used the P A T H approach, if you are weight bearing or not, etc. We can cheer each other on but we have to be careful not to compare ourselves to each other. We all heal at different rates. The important thing is that we all achieve the same final goal. Slow and steady wins the race! Good luck! Deb
 
Texas Girl, the best thing I have found for the scar, seriously, is good single-malt scotch.

Taken internally.

With a large enough dose the scar practically disappears.
 
MaxBuck
[Bonesmart.org] Here I am!!
 
Deb,
If you get a chance to use water therapy, do it. I LOVE it. It was the first time I was able to walk in over a year without being in pain. Not being weight bearing makes the exercises so much easier to do. I am doing them with my physical therapist right now, but will start going back to the YMCA later on. I used to do water aroebics and use the machines there until it just got too painful. It helps with the stiffness too. Are you doing any therapy or exercises? Thanks for the encouragement! I hope you are doing well.
 
maxbuck, you are hilarious!! I'll have to try that!!!
TG; the pool sounds great! I can't wait to try it!! As for the scar, I am using just plain vitamin E; the cheapest thing is to buy the capsules & pop them open yourself. Although I have just been doing some research and apparently it does not really do anything so I may read a little more to figure it out!
Anyhow, best of luck to you!
 
I like Maxbuck's idea too and it is one that really makes complete sense. Well, I have sad news and good news. The sad news is that I didn't get to start back to work yesterday because my niece (actually my nephew's wife) was found dead in bed yesterday morning by my nephew. He only lives a block from me so my sister called me to go stay with him until she could get there. It was a sad and very long day. Preliminary report from the Coroner says she had an enlarged heart and a cough medicine that had been prescribed could have been the cause as it wasn't good for such patients. Only 32 years old. Please keep my nephew in your prayers. His name is Paul. On a better note, I did go to work for the first time this morning for 4 hours. Everything went smooth as silk and I climbed the stairs to my 2nd floor office with absolutely no pain. That's something I hadn't experienced in well over a year. I did feel a little coming back down at the end of my day but nothing like I had pre op. Things are looking up there! Deb
 
Oh Deb, that is so horrible to hear. 32 years old is so young and I wonder why the doctor prescribed that? When my brother passed away he was in Harris County (Houston) and it took 6 weeks before we got a report from the Coroner. I am surprised they already gave you a preliminary report. I believe you said you were south of Houston? I am so sorry for your family! Glad all went well at work today! Sounds like you are really getting around well now, that's great! I will keep you and your family in my prayers! Please keep us posted!
 
Gosh Deb, thats just awful about your niece. My condolences to you and your family. I will keep hiim in my prayers
As for your good news, that is certainly inspiring for me to hear how well your first day back at work went
 
Thank you all for your kind words. Well, I went to the doctor today because my niece's service is going to be Friday. Everything went well and all restrictions were removed. The only thing my OS asked me to wait 6 more weeks on is riding horses. I feel like a free woman. He said that with the new procecdures and the fact that there is less muscle involvement, he is seeing most of his patients return to work at about 6 weeks so I am really right on schedule...juist a few days early. He also said I have extremely strong bones and they normally only see that in people that were raised on dairy farms or drank an extremely large amount of milk as a child. Said I will never have to worry about Osteoporosis (?). One good thing for my side. I asked how my other hip looked and he said I should have another 5 years or so on that one...it has developed a couple of spurs though so it is beginning to show signs of arthritis. That's o.k. We'll worry about that then. I will need to see him next January and at that time we may talk about my left knee as it is painful at times. He examined it for me and said there is little range of motion in it. So...I will probably join the knee gang in the next year or so. For now, I am celebrating my success in my right THR. God is awesome, my OS is fantastic, and you guys are great. I couldn't have gotten through all of this without you. I'm not going anywhere though...I'm sure I will still find lots of questions to ask you guys and I want to be here for others that are going through what I did. Together, we can all get through it and find ourselves in such a better place in life. Oh, I did ask my doctor about the stiffness I am still having and he assured me that it just takes time and a little stretching. He said to stretch a little farther each time but nothing agressive. My limp is almost completely gone this week. Gotta get ready for work now...slow and steady wins the race! Deb
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom