Recent content by HipSurprise

  1. HipSurprise

    THR HipSurprise's recovery thread

    Yippee, I've been climbing the stairs, normally, for the past couple of weeks!! I discovered that the main muscle I use for climbing steps is the one that had been hurting. I carefully began exercising it by doing gentle leg lifts, and strengthened it to the point where I can do the stair...
  2. HipSurprise

    THR Deep Breath Reporting for Recovery Duty

    @DeepBreath it's so cool that you're from Aurora! I moved to Denver about 14 and 1/2 years ago and I embraced the Broncos as my home team. As you can imagine, I'm feeling very happy, today!! It's wonderful that you're doing so well, and I share your joy about being able to walk a ways...
  3. HipSurprise

    THR Deep Breath Reporting for Recovery Duty

    I have been sleeping mostly on my left side, but do toss and turn and can lay on my right side. I am still using my body pillow on which to rest the leg that is on top. I mostly find that, with laying on my right side, it's a bit uncomfortable at the incision site; feels like my femur head is...
  4. HipSurprise

    THR teenager hip replacement after SUFE

    I have insulin dependent Diabetes and didn't have any trouble with infection - and I wasn't put on antibiotics at all!! I'm glad Maya will be getting the screws and such taken out and getting a THR. Blessings to Maya for a successful surgery and to you for calming your nerves.
  5. HipSurprise

    Bilateral THR Aug.18 - a success!

    Maybe the soft tissue has been adversely affected by not only the surgery, but the wear and tear of having been challenged when your hips were bad? I know my own tissues probably got a jolt when I fell. Just is amazing, though, to realize how much of a big deal it is to go through the surgery...
  6. HipSurprise

    Bilateral THR Aug.18 - a success!

    Hip Hop Hooray, I played the Bird Woman in my high school production of "Mary Poppins" and the plan was to have a few of us fly. I was put in the harness, lifted into the air for a segment for our local news. It was fun, but, in the end, it was just too much work to have people flying in the...
  7. HipSurprise

    THR Deep Breath Reporting for Recovery Duty

    DeepBreath, I'm so glad to read about your progress! One thing I've learned in my own dealings with my gait is that, for a long time, I had been walking flat footed with my right leg. I was walking sort of like Frankenstein, which strikes me as quite funny! I started doing exercises of...
  8. HipSurprise

    THR New pain 14 days out from anterior left hip replacement<

    Hehehe, I LOVE the way you shut that person up by describing the surgery!! Hammering and sawing and moving the leg all over the place and twisting muscles and tendons are hallmarks of replacement surgery. Hey, there are plenty of videos of the surgery on You Tube. Next time someone says...
  9. HipSurprise

    Bilateral THR Aug.18 - a success!

    Okay, I'm sort of chuckling over those of you in your early 50's who are going through perimenopause - I went through the real thing at age 47!! I really laugh, though, when medical folks ask me if there's any possibility that I'm pregnant!!!! Yeah, right... I'm so glad to hear that you're...
  10. HipSurprise

    THR New pain 14 days out from anterior left hip replacement<

    I have a real life experience about the nonsense of getting "addicted" to the narcotics. Note the date of my surgery. A few weeks ago, I had told my primary care doc that I was still having trouble with pain and that Tylenol just wasn't enough. She then wrote me a prescription for 90 more...
  11. HipSurprise

    THR HipSurprise's recovery thread

    Today was interesting. I got to do a barium swallow test for my G.I. issues - wouldn't you know it, nothing bad showed up on the films!!! I also got some xrays done of both knees and ankles. I have Osteoarthritis in all those areas, right knee is worse than left. I still have fluid...
  12. HipSurprise

    THR Fractured, Fixed, Failed, THR two days later

    Just got through reading your thread, and I hope you are feeling much better after all your adventures! I find it interesting that your OS thought you were too young for a THR and did the hip pinning, first, instead of just doing the replacement. I also have osteoporosis, fell and broke my...
  13. HipSurprise

    THR Bettifloss is now an old hippy

    Congrats on your surgery and yay for you being home! I'm sending you lots of well wishes for your recovery journey. :)
  14. HipSurprise

    THR Deep Breath Reporting for Recovery Duty

    Hey, it sounds like you're doing very well after your surgeries! I think it was wise of you to have them pretty close together, rather than waiting longer. I'm so independent with my new hip, now, that I don't even want to think about surgery - luckily, my left hip is fine. Keep up the good...
  15. HipSurprise

    THR HipSurprise's recovery thread

    Decided I'd better write an update on my progress. I have been dealing with bursitis in my right hip, but icing and rest has significantly reduced the swelling and pain! I'm walking around my house without any aids, except for the stairs - still am using a crutch and doing one step at a time...
Back
Top Bottom