THR HipSurprise's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a bone density test done, last week, and the results are back. As performed on the left hip, my femoral neck bone mineral density is 0.592 grams per square centimeter. This is 57% of young adult value. In the lumbar spine, the bone mineral density is 0.80 g.cm2, which is 75% of young adult value. This is a change of -4.0% from my density test of 2008. Gee, not surprising that my right hip broke! Now my docs want me to see a bone specialist about probably starting on one of the medications for bones. I HATE this idea because a close relative took Fosamax, developed an awful jaw infection, then developed other bad disorders, and died last year. This person had also been a pretty heavy smoker, ( I've never smoked but grew up in a household full of smokers) so I know that probably had a lot to do with their illnesses and death. Still, the fact that I knew someone who had a bad experience with a bone medication sure doesn't give me incentive to ASK to be put on one of those meds!

I recently read that taking calcium and vitamin D really doesn't help the bones of people over 50, but I'm still taking my vitamin supplements and enjoying my dairy products. I recently added 400 mg per day of magnesium to my diet because I've read that is an essential mineral for building bones. I also plan to do some weight training when I've healed enough from my hip replacement. I'm not gonna try to look like Mr. Atlas, but it would be nice to have strong muscles AND bones! :yay:

Has anyone here been advised to take any of the bone supplements and, if so, what is your experience? If you'd rather not have your opinion be public, you can PM me about this. I just see all the commercials for even the newest bone medications and am thinking the side effects are worse than having the possibility of breaking my left hip and getting a replacement. Sigh...
 
Still having some aches and pains with my recovery, but I'm handling it with the help of ice, rest, elevation, and meds. :) I've again started doing a couple of chores I had before the surgeries (feeding dogs their dinner and fixing dinner for us humans) and I'm pretty much getting around the house with just a crutch, or even without any aids. When I go to the VA hospital for my dr visits, I'm now using just the crutch, too. Still want to use something for a long time because of my balance issues, plus I just feel "safer" with having the crutch. I know I still have a long way to go in my recovery, but I also can see that I've come a long way from the day I was laying on the floor with a broken hip! Still keeping up with my hydration and my blood pressure is great, no lightheaded feeling when I stand up! I was having some problems with low energy earlier, but now I feel okay.

I'm still not able to lay on either side for very long and I end up sleeping on my back. I'll have to discuss this with my OP on Dec. 3. Also, I notice that I'm walking with my left foot not firmly on the floor; it wants to put more pressure on the outside of the foot and causes me to walk on the left side of my slipper, rather than fully on the sole. Am thinking this has something to do with the way my pelvis is situated with the new hip, so will also be asking my doc about this matter. I still walk rather stiffly, but I know it's part of having the new hip and getting it settled, getting my muscles and such settled, again. I'm doing some gentle stretching, also doing some tightening "exercises" for my glutes and other muscles.

I hope all my hippie friends are recovering well and are enjoying having their new hips. I know many of you went through a long, painful time with your old hips and I sort of feel like the "lucky" person who merely broke a hip and immediately got surgery. Yes, it still all is a bit unreal to me, so I guess it will take a while to fully wrap my thinking around my experience.
 
Hello @HipSurprise Well, hmmm, that is a tough one about the bone density results. Sorry to hear that and I take Vitamin D with Magnesium and small amount of calcium supplement. I like the magnesium, it helps in my opinion, to keep my muscles from cramping.
Some weight bearing exercises will be very beneficial for you!
I was classified as having osteoporosis around the fractures in my spine ,, this was diagnosed at least 14 years ago.
I didn't like the thought of taking Fosamax. I took it for a while but it upset my stomach and intuitively I just knew it wasn't good for me. So I discontinued it. Then at 5 years out the density test showed improvement and I was in the osteopenia level, which is mild bone loss.
Interestingly, 2 years ago, the Dr insisted I get another density test and the results say that I am now showing good bone in that area!!
Now, my done density issues were only in my spine around the fractures so my case was different from others with density issues overall.. so there is my disclaimer.. lol

I attribute the improvement to my physical type of work and the fact that I am on my feet while doing it. I consider what I do as a steady weight bearing exercise that is happening at least 15 hours a week.. ( not all of the sessions are what I would call weight bearing, so that is how I came up with the 15 hour number)
That's really all that has changed in the past 14 years, my work load. Prior to that, I was in a job that required a lot of sitting, tied to the phone, which was horrible for my back.
Whatever helped, I am not questioning it, just glad it has shown a turn around.
I think there are much better ways to help your bone density these days. I have heard about infusions or IV administered treatments that you only do once a year?? From what I have heard I would make sure they test for allergic reactions before doing the complete IV treatment, though.
Maybe some thorough research and talk to a couple different Dr's about it?

You sound like you are doing well with your recovery! I bet some concentrated effort with your walking will help your foot placement, sounds like your proprioception is off a bit.. (how your muscles are working together.) that is where Physical Therapy really helped me.
You have been through it, went in for one surgery and came home with two! What a shock to the system!
But you are bouncing back, isn't that grand?? Our bodies are amazing things. :flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
Hi there @HipSurprise. I'm happy to hear you are doing better these days without too much discomfort. Just wanted to let you know that 3 years ago I broke my foot and as a result found that I had a bone density problem. My DR put me on Fosomax (the once a week oral medication). I read all I could get my hands on, about the side effects, and found that the once-a-year injection was the biggest culprit for causing jaw necrosis. However, I only took it for a year, as it started to give me stomach issues and I was still petrified of getting jaw problems (even with the oral medication). I already had had 3 surgeries for TMJ about 15 years ago, so I was concerned the Fosomax would contribute to more problems. But, since I stopped taken it, I have supplemented with Calcium and D3. Oddly enough, since I started taking the D3, all of my nightly leg and foot cramps have disappeared. An unexpected but pleasant benefit. Hope you have a wonderful recovery day!
 
Thanks for your stories! In addition to other stuff, I have restless leg syndrome and can't take the treatment medicine because of stomach problems. I've read that magnesium, taken at night, really can help with the RLS and muscle cramps, which I also have at night. I'd be stretching my legs, and all of a sudden, one would cramp really bad in the calf. I actually woke up my husband a couple of times with my screaming in pain!

I have an appointment on Jan 8 with one of the endocrinologists at my VA. There are two of them who have kept up with all the issues of bone density and the medications for treating osteoporosis. Will just have to see what happens at my appointment.

In the meantime, getting proper amounts of Calcium, Vit D, and Magnesium sure can't hurt me! @CricketHip Yes, our bodies certainly are amazing, LOLOL!
 
Hipsurprise, I wasn't able to manage sleeping on my operated side for a good three months after surgery. Some people are lucky and are able to do it earlier. It may depend on the exact placement of your particular incision, and how rapidly you heal. This is a common problem for many of us. I do laugh now....I'm 4 years past my surgeries and I always start out sleeping on my side. But when I wake up in the morning, I am always on my back. Somehow, my body now seems to prefer it.

At any rate, a few pillows properly placed for bolstering your back may help as you transition back to side sleeping. And initially it may only be for a short while that you can stay on your side, but it will gradually lengthen in time.

Also, for my right hip, I resumed driving at 3 weeks....only very short trips (a mile or less) and easy to get to. That's the leg that has to move back and forth from accelerator to brake, so the movement can be a little tricky at first. And if your route has a bunch of right turns, that can be very uncomfortable. By 6 weeks, I resumed completely normal driving.

Sounds like you're coming along quite well. Stay patient and give yourself the gift of time to let healing happen.

Sharon
 
Today I'm using my desktop computer in my basement study!! Feels so good to be typing on a regular size keyboard and to be seeing everything on my big monitor! Ah, heaven! I'm walking more and more without my walker, but keep it handy for times when I'm really stiff. Most of the time I'm using my crutch, but do spend a bit of time walking without any aid. I'm not much for going walking in my neighborhood because the sidewalks are NOT friendly for people who have balance or other walking problems!

I had a dear friend visit me, yesterday, for an overnight adventure. Was so nice to have company, and we even went out and did some shopping at Target. I used one of their scooters, since I didn't know how long we'd be shopping. Anyway, we finished and got back in my friend's car to come back to my house. By that time, it was dark and my friend was having a lot of trouble seeing because of cataracts. We were going the back way to my house, so no real traffic, but no real good street lighting, either. I ended up telling my friend that I should drive because I could see just about perfectly in the dark. So, I got to drive a little bit and I had no problems at all! It felt so good to be behind the wheel, again, and I knew the back way would be a good, but easy, test for me to get used to driving, again. Won't take any long trips, but at least I think I'll be able to drive myself to my December medical appointments, as long as the weather stays decent. I'm not yet ready to take on snowy or icy streets, though.

Feeling good and haven't had to take any pain pills, yet. Still am having some pain at night, so that's usually when I take some medication.

I hope all my hippie buddies are progressing well!
 
Well, it's happened. I've hit that wall of trying to be upbeat about everything, cracking jokes about my October adventures, etc. I'm ticked off, I'm resentful, I'm scared. I had really strong, muscular legs before I broke my hip, and it's not fun at all having to use a damned crutch to get me up and down the stairs. I do have a regular therapist whom I will call, tomorrow, and I have an appointment with my psychiatrist on the 8th of next month. Between the two of them, I think I can get the help I need, thank goodness.

On the progress front, I've fixed dinner for the last 5 or 6 meals, not including Thanksgiving. Luckily, our next door neighbors are good friends and invited my DH and I to their family celebration. Neither DH or my family lives anywhere near us, so it's nice to have good people who do live nearby. :angel: I've done a few errands in my local area, driving and shopping, so I do feel more independent. When I shop, I've taken advantage of carts, but have also used the scooters provided by some stores. I know I'm not yet ready for any sort of big trip, or a really long walk, but that's okay.

I'm still dealing with pain at night and stiffness during the day. Still walking like a duck, but I do have an appointment with my orthopedist on the 3rd, so I can have him evaluate my walking and give an opinion. I really like him and he will definitely cheer me up a bit.

I hope all my fellow hippies are doing well. I'm going to go read about our newest ones, now.
 
Hipsurprise,
Sorry to hear you have it the wall, here is the article about the post op blues for you Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it.
Glad you have a plan for some counseling to get you over this rough spot.
As you heal your strength will return, surgery and pain inhibits muscles, they will still be there with time.
 
Thanks, Pumpkin. I know this will all settle down, but I also know it will help a lot to talk with my therapist about everything. I really like her, she's been treating me for years, and I am grateful to know her door is always open for her clients. My hip break and surgery were just such a shock to me, and I know my reactions are normal for having had this happen. It's good to know that people in this forum understand my reactions.
 
If you read my RTHR recovery thread you will see I had similar frustration not being about not being able to shorten my recovery or move as fast as I wanted to. You'll get there! Just be good to yourself now. You are recovering from much more than just the op.
 
I did read all of your thread, and appreciate that you also had the impatience with recovery. I also am sad about your cats. I've had beloved pets that had to be sent to the Rainbow Bridge, and I still miss them.

With my hip, I think I'm just having a juvenile temper tantrum of "it isn't fair that I'm going through all this hip stuff. I was perfectly fine, no hip problems on my right side, then I go and fall and all hell breaks loose! (pun intended) Even though I have very bad balance with my inner ear disease, I always was careful about not going out in icy weather and such. I think what bothers me most about all this is that my right side was my good one. No problems in my hip and lower back areas. My left side is the one that has had all the pain and such, from my lower back to my SI joint. I've had pain in both my knees for a while, but I do put up with it. The timing of the hip surgery sucks, too, but in hindsight, it was probably better than having it at the beginning of summer. I have to just keep moving forward and realize I can't turn back the clock and erase the hip surgery. All I can do is to try and accept that it happened and to let myself heal. Dang, it's hard to be an adult!!
 
Dang, it's hard to be an adult!!
This made me laugh. Sure is hard! And yes, I remember ranting about hip number 1 - the why me, why this, why now. Stuff happens. Somehow we get through it and go on to the next issue.
 
Well, I have an appointment with my therapist tomorrow morning, so I'll be able to get some of these feelings out and will have help dealing with them. I'm glad you laughed at my remark, Jaycey!

My accomplishment for the day: finally was able to trim my toenails!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
8 weeks since surgery!! Yesterday I had an appointment with my orthopedic surgeon and he wanted me to get xrays. One was of my entire pelvic region, both hips. My implant looks great, and my left hip looks really great, too!! Nice to know there's not a bunch of wear and tear on the left side. I do have bursitis on my upper right side, and doc wants me back in a couple of weeks to see if the bursitis calms down by then. If not, then he says a shot will clear up that situation. Since I'm still taking blood thinner, I can't take NSAID for another 6 days, so ice it is for the swelling.

My therapist and I talked a bit, and we are going to concentrate, in my next appt., on the fear I'm feeling about going out in the world. It's mostly because of the winter weather and the icy sidewalks and such. My big fear is that I'll fall and either mess up my implant or break my left hip and need surgery. I'm just not wanting to even think about more surgery for at least a year! I know it's not a great thing to have too much fear, so I'm glad I will be able to work on this with someone I trust.

I used one crutch for walking when I went to my appt, yesterday, and my OS was curious as to why I was using it. I reminded him of my inner ear disease that has destroyed the balance mechanism in my right ear and that I just feel more comfortable with a little support for my balance. He said "oh, yeah, that's part of how we got here." He was impressed when I talked about my surgery and how the surgeons didn't have to move my leg around to get the ball out of the socket, just had to cut out the part of the stem that had broken, then pry the ball out of the socket. He grinned and said that I made their job a lot easier. LOL! I also got a brochure about the type of implant I have, and the ball is ceramic and the cup is some sort of poly. My hubby said he had asked before my surgery about what kind of implant the surgeons were preparing to use for me, and said he would have had a fit if they were going to use metal on metal. Nice to know he was looking out for me. :)

Having a rather lazy day, today, since I had a busy one, yesterday. Will do some sewing and some work on restoring some dollies. I hope everyone has a great day!
 
Decided I'd better write an update on my progress. I have been dealing with bursitis in my right hip, but icing and rest has significantly reduced the swelling and pain! I'm walking around my house without any aids, except for the stairs - still am using a crutch and doing one step at a time, eg, one foot on step, next foot on same step. Repeat. Have been walking in the stores with help from a cart, and if I know I'll be shopping for a "long" time, I use one of their scooters. If I'm feeling tired, I just go home and not try to push myself too much. Still am taking pain medicines, mostly because of lower back and SI joint pain on both sides. If I lay on my operated side, my knee starts being painful, so I'm mostly sleeping either on my back or on non operated side, still using a pillow between my knees. I'll see my Orthopedist next month, and he'll be getting xrays of both knees, as they've been bothering me for about 5 years. May also look into going back to pain clinic for cortisone shots in my lower back.

Christmas was quiet, but good. I had problems with a stomach virus a few days before the holiday, and was throwing up, and had intestinal problems. I woke up on the 24th and felt wonderful. Yay! Still am having some problems, though, and will see my GP early next month to ask about getting tested for the stomach problems and also get a referral to Cardiology about my Tachycardia. Have had so many other problems after the surgeries that some things have just had to wait their turns to get some more attention. Will also see Endocrinology about starting some shots that should help me build bone. In the meantime, I'm doing my best to get 1200 mgs of Calcium in my diet each day.

Still feeling like my right hip is very stiff and such, but the cold weather probably has a lot to do with that. Plus, I'm still only about 3 months out of surgery, so my body is still healing. Am very glad my husband isn't pushing me to be "normal" as far as activity goes, but I have been doing lots of cooking and am enjoying it. I do feel like I've made great progress from where I was immediately after surgery, but do have to remind myself to take things slow and not get down on myself when I have any minor setbacks. I know it takes a long time to fully heal from the hip surgery, and I have to remember that I also had neck surgery three days before that.

I hope everyone has a good new year's eve and a wonderful 2016!
 
Gosh @HipSurprise you are doing incredibly well for all that you have been through. Please don't discount any of your recovery. Yes, there will be stiffness and aches and pains. But each day brings more healing. Well done!
 
Today was interesting. I got to do a barium swallow test for my G.I. issues - wouldn't you know it, nothing bad showed up on the films!!! I also got some xrays done of both knees and ankles. I have Osteoarthritis in all those areas, right knee is worse than left. I still have fluid cushioning my knees, so that is good. My OS said my knee situation is moderate and I got a cortisone shot in that knee. I also got a cortisone shot in my ride hip because of Bursitis. The shots were painful, but it will be worth it if I can cut back on my night time medications. Also is nice to know my knees still have probably a few years before needing any sort of surgery. As an aside, my OS said if my Bursitis doesn't clear up within a "few" months, he might have to go back in and take out some tissue. Oh, please, Bursitis go away, soon!!!!

I'm able to go down the stairs normally, still need to take baby steps going up the stairs. I'm trying to strengthen my right hip muscles by taking a few steps normally, then doing baby steps the rest of the way up. Just don't want to cause any more troubles. Feels good to be at a point in my recovery where the "bad" stuff is in my rear view mirror and fading fast!!
 
Yippee, I've been climbing the stairs, normally, for the past couple of weeks!! I discovered that the main muscle I use for climbing steps is the one that had been hurting. I carefully began exercising it by doing gentle leg lifts, and strengthened it to the point where I can do the stair climbing. Now the muscles in both legs are becoming as strong as they were before my surgery!! I don't always use the normal way of stair climbing, especially when I feel I need to not overdo things. Each day my new hip becomes less noticeable and I'm even doing things such as moving around plastic storage tubs! I haven't used any walking aids in a long time, and it seems like ages ago. I'm coming up on my 5 month mark, and I feel like everything is going onward and upward.

I'm taking an acting class twice a week and am having so much fun! The instructor is great and the class is for those of us 55 and older. We have a wonderful group of people and I know my acting has improved a lot. This is the beginning class and I know I'll want to take the second level one when it gets scheduled. Just too much fun!

All for now, blessings to all other hippies!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom