Recent content by hhhooray

  1. hhhooray

    THR Spongebob's Recovery Journey

    Excellent Charlie!! Dr McGill is probably the foremost expert concerning spine/back function on the planet. His "method", literally, changes lives. He saved mine. His books are definitely worth the investment in the well being of your life if you suffer from back issues but his principles and...
  2. hhhooray

    THR In recovery mode

    I had a similar issue 5 months after thr and what worked for me was a shot and rest... LOTS of REST!!! But I wasn't walking/hiking miles at a go at that time... I could still barely walk.. lol. Ymmv...
  3. hhhooray

    THR Spongebob's Recovery Journey

    Investigate the book Back Mechanic by Dr Stuart McGill. He is famous for his McGill big 3 exercises: bird dog, side plank, McGill curl. He also advocates Swiss ball stir the pots but if you read his books you’ll come to understand it's more than just those.
  4. hhhooray

    THR Spongebob's Recovery Journey

    Back and core stability is essential for me due to various musculoskeletal issues. Core is defined as hips to shoulders. The books by Dr Stuart McGill were life changing for me. Like myg says, exercises/movements don't have to be crazy stuff... consistency is key.
  5. hhhooray

    THR Feeling discouraged

    Hey there, I saw your concern about the cane. I had to go back and look, and I used mine until week 11. Your recovery takes what it takes and I'm sure everyone here will tell you, this is not a competition, it's not race. It's your body, it's going to heal as it heals and there is no one...
  6. hhhooray

    THR Spongebob's Recovery Journey

    Hey Sponge! I have, and at times still, experience this "phenomenon". It's amazing how much the body adjusts and compensates when and as it needs. My glute medius on both sides and at times the tfl of my "good" hip (which my surgeon told me will probably need replaced one day.. sigh...) get...
  7. hhhooray

    THR One yr post THR with ongoing pain - MRI report included

    my recovery required a cortisone shot and A LOT OF REST about month 5 or 6... I'm fine now, however every once in a while it lets me know it's not completely all the way back and I'm 22 months post surgery.
  8. hhhooray

    THR First step to being bionic is done

    amazingly good advice that most of us (me included) did not always adhere to.... lol!
  9. hhhooray

    THR Re-evaluate life after THR?

    I can appreciate your feelings! I was "forced" into retirement way too early financially and emotionally due to several medical "issues" and realized the same. Good pay, career I once loved but at the end started to despise... Then dealing with the health issues for several years to culminate in...
  10. hhhooray

    THR Hi! Post THR recovery

    Hey there! Sorry to hear of the set back! THere are a number of things depending on just how much mobility or lack thereof you have? It is harder, but some upper body work can get the old heart pumping pretty good.
  11. hhhooray

    Post surgery golf

    Hello! Glad to see all the wonderfully helpful posts! I had my right anterior THR April 8 2022 and I'm now back doing a mostly full regimen of calisthenics/gymnastics type workouts with some yoga/pilates work as well (my surgeon asked me not to tell him what I was doing... :heehee::rotfl: ) . I...
  12. hhhooray

    THR Spongebob's Recovery Journey

    Sorry for the late reply!! But. I do A LOT... probably not typical for most people, let alone a person of my age and musculoskeletal issues... with that said. I do McGill big 3 core work nearly daily, fitnessfaqs stuff... calisthenics. Squat University is a great resource for core as well, I...
  13. hhhooray

    THR Spongebob's Recovery Journey

    Hey there spongie! I'm 21 months out and I had weakness and soreness for over a year. Even now I have to constantly work on my glute medius and hip flexor strength. My hip flexor is still not 100% as strong as before the THR and I exercise A LOT. What has been most helpful to me is a consistent...
  14. hhhooray

    THR Left Hip First - SuperPath vs Traditional

    I absolutely love this as I kept trying to push the exercises and recover "faster" but more than once found out that letting things heal more first was the best path for me to recovery... thank you!!! @LucyVanPelt , looks like you've done some good research. After it's done, listen to all the...
  15. hhhooray

    THR Spongebob's Recovery Journey

    @Spongebob You're still so early into your recovery and as is said repeatedly, every recovery is different. It's perfectly normal to have questions come up after a visit so call and ask you doctor directly and exactly. My doctor added length, but I don't remember exactly what he told me as to...
Back
Top Bottom