Guest viewing is limited

THR Spongebob's Recovery Journey

Hi my wonderful hippie friends hope your all well and having a wonderful weekend i just thought I would give you a quick update my operated hip is absolutely amazing now I hardly even know I have had it done :) the issue it my right hip aches all day probably a 2 or 3/10 and exercise makes it ache more probably a 4 or 5/10 and it goes back down after I get home but I have had a x-ray and it says the joint is fine and there is no change since the last x-ray in 2022 (when i had 1 for my perthes) and there is plenty of healthy cartledge there and no signs of arthritis so confused is it a groin strain/tear as seems to be that way as the fact that exercise makes it ache more and also certain movements like lifting my leg up straight from a lying postion causes a stabbing pain
Also when i walk it does not hurt it basically aches and feels like someone is pressing me in the groin
Any help would be appreciated:)
 
So happy to hear your new hip is doing well! It was a long time coming for you, but you’ve made it!

Now that you’ve had the x-ray and it appears that the joint is not the problem, what does your doctor say about what may be causing the pain?
 
Ortho surgeons aren't always the best at addressing soft tissue problems.

From the location it could be a muscle issue (psoas vs quadriceps in my personal experience with groin pulling). If your OS can't assess that, he may be willing to refer you to a PT for evaluation and treatment.
 
Agree about surgeons and soft tissue problems, @Mendogal……I was hoping SpongeBob would come back and tell us that his surgeon (if that’s who he saw) had recommended he see a therapist. But…..he’s in the UK, and now that I think about it, surgeons don’t usually cover a patient after the surgery is completed. It would be his GP. It’s possible that it was his GP that ordered the x-ray of his other hip and he should have guidance about what it do for the pain. Their NHS system works differently from ours in the US.
 
So happy to hear your new hip is doing well! It was a long time coming for you, but you’ve made it!

Now that you’ve had the x-ray and it appears that the joint is not the problem, what does your doctor say about what may be causing the pain?
Yes it has been a long time coming but finally i have made it :) He does not know he has ordered a mri scan to see what could be causing the ache i really hope that gets to the cause of the ache
 
Agree about surgeons and soft tissue problems, @Mendogal……I was hoping SpongeBob would come back and tell us that his surgeon (if that’s who he saw) had recommended he see a therapist. But…..he’s in the UK, and now that I think about it, surgeons don’t usually cover a patient after the surgery is completed. It would be his GP. It’s possible that it was his GP that ordered the x-ray of his other hip and he should have guidance about what it do for the pain. Their NHS system works differently from ours in the US.
Yes my gp ordered the x-ray and now that's all good I'm hoping to find relief soon I went to see a sports injury specialist 2 weeks ago where he seems to think it's a inner thigh muscle that has had a tear in it and the reason why it aches in my groin is because that's where the tendon is connected so the tear could be high up in that tendon towards my groin but because it's all connected that's why it aches there
 
Hi it's been a while since I checked in here but I have a question My operated hip stopped aching about 3 months ago so I thought wow its finally recovered and things was going great but in the last week it's started to ache a bit again and also my other hip aches quite bad and my knee a bit too ( I have had a x-ray on it the joint is fine plenty of cartridge and no signs of arthritis) has anyone experienced this also I have been told by a sports podiatrist that I still have a short left leg (operated leg) and that could make hips knees ache and I have a assessment with him next week where he is going to design some orthotics for me to level me up as he said only a slight leg lengh discrepancy can make both hips,knees ache he said just something so small in my body not being level(not noticeable) can cause issues
 
Yes, Sponge, if you have slight length discrepancy this can cause some aches & pains.
I had a setback last May when I was well over a year into my recovery.
I decided to go back to work & after about 2 weeks I could barely walk & back using cane. My one year anniversary I had been fine so thought I might be able to resume my job.
I also changed orthopedic surgeons at this point & was referred to an OS in Boston at Brigham.
I brought my x-rays & all with me, he did more X-Rays & spent a long time going over all my x-rays, measured my leg, etc. He ordered MRI cause all my hip X-Rays appeared normal.
Ended up I have spinal stenosis & I had aggravated it going back to work. I was referred to spinal surgeon @ Brigham who said I didn't need any type of surgery but could get pain injections for the pain. I scheduled the injections but by June I was back to normal with just my stretching exercises & back exercises so I canceled the injections.
I think we have setbacks but once we learn how to deal with them they can be resolved fairly quickly.
I hope you find a resolution.
 
Yes, Sponge, if you have slight length discrepancy this can cause some aches & pains.
I had a setback last May when I was well over a year into my recovery.
I decided to go back to work & after about 2 weeks I could barely walk & back using cane. My one year anniversary I had been fine so thought I might be able to resume my job.
I also changed orthopedic surgeons at this point & was referred to an OS in Boston at Brigham.
I brought my x-rays & all with me, he did more X-Rays & spent a long time going over all my x-rays, measured my leg, etc. He ordered MRI cause all my hip X-Rays appeared normal.
Ended up I have spinal stenosis & I had aggravated it going back to work. I was referred to spinal surgeon @ Brigham who said I didn't need any type of surgery but could get pain injections for the pain. I scheduled the injections but by June I was back to normal with just my stretching exercised & back exercises so I canceled the injections.
I think we have setbacks but once we learn how to deal with them they can be resolved fairly quickly.
I hope you find a resolution.
What stretches do you do please
 
Sponge,
They are all for my back, not my hip. My hip is fine.
Standard stretches on floor, leg raises & stretches, flatten spine on floor etc. Nothing crazy but I need to loosen my back when I get up & start my day.
 
Sponge,
They are all for my back, not my hip. My hip is fine.
Standard stretches on floor, leg raises & stretches, flatten spine on floor etc. Nothing crazy but I need to loosen my back when I get up & start my day.
Back and core stability is essential for me due to various musculoskeletal issues. Core is defined as hips to shoulders. The books by Dr Stuart McGill were life changing for me.
Like myg says, exercises/movements don't have to be crazy stuff... consistency is key.
 
Sponge,
They are all for my back, not my hip. My hip is fine.
Standard stretches on floor, leg raises & stretches, flatten spine on floor etc. Nothing crazy but I need to loosen my back when I get up & start my day.
Back and core stability is essential for me due to various musculoskeletal issues. Core is defined as hips to shoulders. The books by Dr Stuart McGill were life changing for me.
Like myg says, exercises/movements don't have to be crazy stuff... consistency is key.
What exercises/movements do you do please
 
Right so today 1 went alton towers theme park and i walked round and it was a total of 10 miles and my hip only started to ache as I was walking to my car after 9.75 miles the ache was bad though but soon as I got home it stopped aching I'm confused is it too weak still? Or does living with Perthes before the operation make my recovery long (have heard 2 years)
 
It’s probably a bit of both, SpongeBob. I’d say you did very well to have walked that far with pain that didn’t linger too long. Maybe take those marathon vacation walks a bit slower next time. But it’s pretty amazing that you were able to do that!!!
 
Sponge,
They are all for my back, not my hip. My hip is fine.
Standard stretches on floor, leg raises & stretches, flatten spine on floor etc. Nothing crazy but I need to loosen my back when I get up & start my day.
Back and core stability is essential for me due to various musculoskeletal issues. Core is defined as hips to shoulders. The books by Dr Stuart McGill were life changing for me.
Like myg says, exercises/movements don't have to be crazy stuff... consistency is key.
What exercises/movements do you do

Sponge,
They are all for my back, not my hip. My hip is fine.
Standard stretches on floor, leg raises & stretches, flatten spine on floor etc. Nothing crazy but I need to loosen my back when I get up & start my day.
Back and core stability is essential for me due to various musculoskeletal issues. Core is defined as hips to shoulders. The books by Dr Stuart McGill were life changing for me.
Like myg says, exercises/movements don't have to be crazy stuff... consistency is key.
What exercises/movements do you do please
Investigate the book Back Mechanic by Dr Stuart McGill. He is famous for his McGill big 3 exercises: bird dog, side plank, McGill curl. He also advocates Swiss ball stir the pots but if you read his books you’ll come to understand it's more than just those.
 
can you recommend your online gentle Pilates instructor for @Spongebob
My pilates teacher does loads of good free videos on YouTube. They cover everything from very gentle post illness/ recovery to more challenging exercises. I generally do her glute/ quad strengthening and her back exercises but there are ones that cover all areas including hip stretches/ core/arms.
If you Google Katja pilates YouTube the classes will come up. She is an excellent teacher and I credit her, as well as my surgeon for my great ROM. It's all about slow movements done with correct form and not pushing to pain.
 
It’s probably a bit of both, SpongeBob. I’d say you did very well to have walked that far with pain that didn’t linger too long. Maybe take those marathon vacation walks a bit slower next time. But it’s pretty amazing that you were able to do that!!!
Why does any exercise make it ache more thsn usual is it something thats not very happy in there (tendons/muscles) and the activity is making it more unhappy (the ache feels like its where the ball and socket is) then when i get home it goes back down again (still there) So you think my recovery is going to be longer than most and also my hips are not strong enough I'm confused as to what are the best strengthening exercises to help strenghen my hip up fully to alivate these aches.
Also I have been told by a local podiatrist with over 30 years experience in leg lengh discrepancy and body mechanics that pre surgery I had a short left leg (my whole life) then after surgery I have a short right leg he seems to think it's very destructive long term to have a leg lengh discrepancy on the pelvis and body and he's designing me some custom orthotics to wear to level me up which he said this is the best investment I will make on my posture ever but why is it still aching after 14 months has anyone had this I'm so sad at the minute I just want my life back now im staying postive but its so hard at the minute:(

Also I had a x-ray 4 weeks ago the joint was fine sitting perfectly and my other hip is good too no signs of arthritis and plenty of healthy cartledge I'm just so Confused why my hips ache all the time but staying psotive that things will change soon:)
 
My feeling is that the podiatrist is right that leveling out your legs should help. I hope you‘re going to give this a try.

But I think you’re being too hard on yourself if you’re worried about aching pain after this marathon walking you did at a theme park. That can happen to anyone who exceeds their normal activity level. It just means you’ve overworked the muscles. The best cure for that is just what you did….rest and let things recover. When you exercise and muscles are pushed past their normal daily activity level, the fibers actually get small tears in them that then immediately start to heal. This is how you build muscle strength and why you exercise, then give yourself a day of two of rest before you exercise again. This is the process of building muscle strength and you’ve been doing it all along during your recovery. The results are that you are stronger now than you were months ago, but probably not so strong that a 10-mile walk in a day wouldn’t have any impact at all.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom