Recent content by Doyle

  1. Doyle

    THR Czak's hip recovery

    Good work @czak57 ! Keep journaling here in your thread, it's hard to go back and remember from the perspective you have right now while it's happening ! :) Surgery date February 20 2014
  2. Doyle

    My big day is April 10! I'm scared, but excited!

    Your waiting is so close to over, the last week of waiting seemed to go on and on for me! Be good to yourself, and feel relieved the date is coming near !
  3. Doyle

    THR In for a new left hip next tues.

    Good work @lynea ! What was your sport/activity pre-hip difficulties? At 5 weeks I'm back to 1 1/2 hour traditional karate classes and half hour elliptical machine at the YMCA What my hip could tolerate went way up after I started stretching in a butterfly position, and doing sit ups with my...
  4. Doyle

    February 20, Getting Close, Getting Ready

    Yes @MajorHeidi you can feel it, the twisting on the pivot ! I have to remember to let go of the pressure to the floor and let the whole leg do the pivot lightly and not build up the "stored tension" you'd normally do to make a snapping turn. The hip gets tired easily, and then I feel the...
  5. Doyle

    February 20, Getting Close, Getting Ready

    Today is 4 weeks post op. I'm taking no pills for pain, just the last of the blood thinners. I can sleep on my sides if I set up pillows just right, but if I get it wrong it makes me sore ! I've started going to the YMCA this week, and can do 20 minutes on an elliptical machine at a moderate...
  6. Doyle

    THR JoAnne's Journey

    Good work on that hip! Ask for ice ice ice! Put it on the hip, under your butt, top of your thigh, being bruise free will be worth it, and the cold made me feel better :)
  7. Doyle

    My big day is April 10! I'm scared, but excited!

    It will be easier than you think, but the waiting.... There was no easy way through that! I hated counting the days before surgery, it was such a relief once I walked into the hospital on the day. When I was in pre-op and changed into the hospital gown, handed over my street clothes in the...
  8. Doyle

    THR JoAnne's Journey

    @grandma chris mine was a burger and fries at a Chinese food restaurant, that taste the fries get when they're cooked in he same fryer as egg rolls and chicken balls can't be beaten! :)
  9. Doyle

    THR Day 1

    Holy moly, that's bordering onto cruel, wanting to send someone home like that ! Who has a perfect set up home to handle zero weight bearring restriction ?! Something I had to do in Hospital when I got a foolish answer from a nurse, I held my cell phone up with the video recording and asked...
  10. Doyle

    THR JoAnne's Journey

    The count down weekend, any plans for pre-op celebration ? I took myself out for a burger the day before mine :)
  11. Doyle

    February 20, Getting Close, Getting Ready

    14 days later...... Updates on things . Spent the first week out of hospital sleeping as much as I could. Small trips to grocery store was all it took to tire me out. Bad weather caused me to drive he first week, with left side being done, it was more pleasant experience on driver side of...
  12. Doyle

    February 20, Getting Close, Getting Ready

    All packed, and waiting for the wife to come pick me up. Had a last meal in hospital, cheese pizza, ranch salad and cream of asparagus soup yum. The crutches in the photo are the ones my karate instructor used for his his replacement 23 years ago. He's 75 now.... Both hips replaced, both...
  13. Doyle

    THR Feb 21st is the day...soon moving to the other side

    I'm sitting on my bed eating my last free lunch, waiting for the wife to come get me. Don't do your physio too good or they kick you out haha. I bet they were going to have lasagne for dinner tonight too :( Keep with it Bamagirl, it's a good thing you've done!
  14. Doyle

    February 20, Getting Close, Getting Ready

    Occupational therapist came and instructed me how to change into civilian clothes. IV came out, even though it wasn't hooked up, they left the needle and attachment in just in case And last but not least, the dressing was changed and I snapped a red-carpet photo! Nurse and I stopped...
  15. Doyle

    February 20, Getting Close, Getting Ready

    Physio person just ran me through standing exercises and stairs. Then took me to the real stairwell and I went up and down one flight. Sure is nice to have normal blood pressure today! This morning I got out of bed on my own and used the hospital walker to go to the toilet, even managed to...
Back
Top Bottom