Recent content by carolm

  1. C

    THR Aussie's Posterior LTHR

    " I've allowed my hubby to take care of me and done no house work". jimjam: Send him around this way please!! He can watch the City matches on our satellite television ( after finishing the house work, of course :cheers: ).
  2. C

    THR Aussie's Posterior LTHR

    Just like long handled reachers, there are long handled toilet tissue aids available for sale online. They have cute names like "bottom buddy", "freedom wand", "long reach" and "comfort wipe" and others that are a bit more clinical sounding. Once you see one picture, the concept is similar. Be...
  3. C

    Rehab facility vs home therapy

    Back to the OP's question - If I was non-ambulatory and wheelchair dependant for 4 years before undergoing a hip replacement and, if I did not have a support system at home to assist me after discharge, I would take the option of acute inpatient rehabilitation. If "Mesa" is Mesa, Arizona, a...
  4. C

    Rehab facility vs home therapy

    Clipper- Fellow Gulf Coaster here. You had 2 weeks of home PT and then 6 weeks of inpatient or outpatient rehab?
  5. C

    Rehab facility vs home therapy

    Does your surgeon say you'll be weight bearing as tolerated on the left leg after surgery? If so, that's a huge positive. A lot will also depend on what type of insurance coverage you have and what sort of support system exists at home. In the US, there are Acute Inpatient Rehabilitation...
  6. C

    THR Nohipwndr recovery thread<

    And to my friend Nohipwndr from the Pre-Op days, I am sorry for briefly hijacking your thread. Hope all is going well and that each day is bringing you better mobility and pain relief. Let's put the focus back on your recovery!
  7. C

    THR Nohipwndr recovery thread<

    The entire purpose of informed consent is to provide patients undergoing elective surgery the freedom of choice to make decisions. On the morning of surgery, the Orthopedic Nurse explained all of my options and the potential impact of my decisions. Excluding medical students was a decision...
  8. C

    THR Procedure update 4/12/2017

    Congratulations on getting through surgery and being on the way to full recovery I'm nearly at 3 weeks and still feel that the surgical leg is a bit longer. My doctor reassured me that this would improve as the swelling and stiffness decreased.
  9. C

    THR Nohipwndr recovery thread<

    @VThereandnow I'm one of those folks who read the consent forms line by line and ask questions before signing. It drives the medical staff crazy because they're usually in a hurry. IDGAD. There was some fine print in mine consenting to the possibility of a medical student participating in...
  10. C

    THR Nohipwndr recovery thread<

    @VThereandnow My wording was: "that may be contributing". The nerve that supplies sensation to the front and side of the thigh is vulnerable during the anterior surgical approach. Josephine referenced this same thing back in 2010: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20532717# There are...
  11. C

    RTKR Might Be Postponed Due To Steroid Shot?

    The links below show where this practice is coming from. The study showed a higher rate of infection in patients having a knee injection on the SAME side as the planned TKR within 3 months of the surgery date. The data came from a review of insurance company databases tying in knee injections...
  12. C

    THR Hip popping

    I'm a week behind you and was told the same thing by my surgeon at yesterday's stitch removal visit. If you have paid "sick leave" and if your job absence is covered under FMLA, you might think about getting yourself stronger before working a factory line.
  13. C

    THR Nohipwndr recovery thread<

    Hi Nohipwndr, There are some older threads on Bonesmart discussing Lateral Femoral Cutaneous Nerve injury following an anterior THR. Another name for it is Meralgia Parenthetia. That may be contributing to to your front and lateral leg discomfort. Heal well and feel better.
  14. C

    THR Discouraged about length of time it is taking me<

    I had R THR surgery 2 weeks ago. I've moved on from the "MeMaw" walker to a cane. When I went to get the sutures out today, I asked about my abnormal walking pattern where my trunk and upper body lurches over my hips. He said it's called a Trendelenburg gait and that it's very common during...
  15. C

    THR Nohipwndr recovery thread<

    I was where you were a week ago. I'm at 2 weeks and had my sutures out earlier this AM. That simple act has eliminated one of the painful areas on my butt cheek that hurt every time I sat or walked. I finally got out to the mailbox today. Fatigue sets in as the day goes on and naps are truly a...
Back
Top Bottom