THR Discouraged about length of time it is taking me<

I am not a moderator but have been on this site for years as I have had plenty of structural issues. Only 2 hips, but 3rd surgery and I can tell you pretty confidently that you have not messed up. You have plenty of time to strengthen. In fact it takes a full year to get back to normal and you are only 2 1/2 months out. This site is great, believe me, it has been a godsend for me during my surgeries, and yet, you have to be careful about comparing yourself to others on this site. Age, other body issues etc, all contribute to what one can accomplish and what speed. I see above that Josephine has given you some advice already about excercise. Do what you can do without hurting yourself and you body I'll let you know how far and how fast. Try not to worry and slow and steady always wins the race -:console2: Cathy
 
I agree with VThereandnow. Do what you can do, take it slow and don't compare to others. I, too, marvel at those that at 2 weeks, 4 weeks (whatever), can do and I am at 6.5 weeks and still using a cane. Some are walking around without any aide but they are not me. I know I have back issues and that is causing me some pain. It's not too bad during the day but can't sleep in bed due to my back. I will address that at a later date. I sort of compare the comparing to others, to when I had my son. We were in several play groups, one of them started as a "mommy & me". It was so easy to get caught up in comparing our babies milestones and thinking our little one was behind. Out of the group my son was the last to walk! We all get there with our recoveries, just like all our little ones get there. Hang in there and do what you can do.
 
thank you for the encouragement.
 
Please let me reassure you that you have not "messed up" and it's never too late when you're dealing with recovery. You have plenty of time to strengthen. You're still in healing mode now, so stop worrying! The important thing is to do as your body needs for as long as required. Your recovery is unique to you. And if you need a cane (or even a walker) for a while to get to where you have a good strong gait, then that's what you need. There is no timetable! Remember, your hip didn't get bad overnight and it won't heal overnight either. You are not even 3 months out yet. Love that 76 year old body of yours and cut it some slack. It's doing its best to heal and it is in charge of the process.
 
I wonder if I have not walked enough if I have not is it too late for me to strengthen my leg/hip/walk without a cane? But after reading posts I think I have not been walking nearly enough. My left (replacement side) leg is still very weak.
Honey, I already said you need to do nothing but walking in moderation. which means what I said in my previous post. Usually when people get weak, wobbly legs and a poor gait, it's because they are doing too much! Get that? TOO MUCH! Don't freak out because other people are giving you bad signals about how well you are doing. You are only 11 weeks out which is very early in the recovery process. You could be another 2-4 weeks before you start to shed this feeling. Just relax and let your recovery progress.

Now you've had 4 of us, one after another, tell you the same thing!! You're doing fine.
 
I am 47 and had surgery 7 weeks ago and still need to use my cane otherwise I limp and wobble. I thought I would be without it sooner too. However I am progressing so I will have to be patient too.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Nana40 I am 54 years old and had my RTHR done 12 January 2017 so in that way sort of comparable. I can recognise several of your concerns e.g walking with/without the cane. I walk inside our house without any support. When I go outside for a very small walk (eg 100 metres) I use one crutch and when I go for longer walks I use both crutches. It suits me perfect and I think you should not press yourself to walk without them. They can help you and make a small walk outside a joy. As Josephine said we should not press ourselves...eveyrthing will turn out for the better. Look instead at all the minor improvements. Stay positive.
 
Thank you for trying to encourage me. But....you CAN walk without support. I can't. Just can't.
 
But....you CAN walk without support. I can't. Just can't.
This doesn't mean you will never be able to walk without a walking aid. Give it time. Patience during this recovery is really the hardest part. You'll get there!
 
I can only take a few wobbly steps without the cane. As others said keep using it and rest. We will get there.


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That's the ticket. Some people just take longer with this bit than the average.
And don't forget (as if you need reminding!) you are only 7 weeks out yet. That's VERY early in the process.

Check this out
[Bonesmart.org] Discouraged about length of time it is taking me<
 
Hi @Nana40 I had my right hip done June 2016 and was unable to walk unaided for a solid 3 months. Eventually my leg strength returned so that I could fully weight bear on it. I had my left hip done 6 weeks ago and I can't even walk with a cane yet. We will get there, we just need patience. :friends:
 
I had R THR surgery 2 weeks ago. I've moved on from the "MeMaw" walker to a cane. When I went to get the sutures out today, I asked about my abnormal walking pattern where my trunk and upper body lurches over my hips. He said it's called a Trendelenburg gait and that it's very common during the first month or so after surgery. Even with the muscle sparing mini-posterior approach, they have to get into the butt muscles to get to the hip bone.

From Wikipedia:

"The Trendelenburg gait pattern (or gluteus medius lurch) is an abnormal gait (as with walking) caused by weakness of the abductor muscles of the lower limb, gluteus medius and gluteus minimus. People with a lesion of superior gluteal nerve have weakness of abducting the thigh at the hip."

I'll give it time for the muscles to get stronger. If a nerve got nicked, I'm toast.
 
Can anyone tell me how long after THR surgery before they could "balance" on
the operated leg? For instance, standing in shower....the ability to stand on the
leg on operated side while washing the other leg.
 
Hello All,
I can seriously relate to Nana40, sonarqueen, Nunninut, Nivea and anyone else who is or has experienced not being able to walk after THR in a "timely manner". I am just like YOU !

I had my 6 week post op THR check up this week, and was astonished that I still cannot walk without the walker. I have a cane to practice walking during PT session, and the cane just wobbled and I lost my balance quickly. I reverted back to my stable walker, but felt discouraged, embarrassed and frustrated that so many other 6 week post op patients in PT, were walking great with their cane. My PT encouraged me to just "practice, practice and more practice" walking with the cane at home until I feel comfortable and confident using the cane.

I walk like a "duck" with the cane and I just am not walking stable with the cane. I know not to "push or punish" myself. However, while I'm trying not to compare myself to the other successful walkers who at 6 weeks are walking steadily, I do feel I'm too slow to learn (re-learn) how to walk with a cane and able to give up my trusted walker ! ! ! Thanks to everyone for listening to me, and offering your helpful advice and encouraging words of wisdom.
 
@HippyHappy You will get there. Don't be discouraged, although, easier said than done.

This recovery journey is unique to all of us. The people here are all so supportive and I have learned so much. For instance, the worse your hip is going in, the longer the recovery. The fact that all surgeries are different, all of us are different and all recoveries are different, is another thing that I learned.

The first few times using the cane, was a bit frightening to me as I was used to the walker. However, I kept at it and got there. I am a little over 8 weeks post op now and still use the cane. I feel a difference in how I am walking in the past 2 weeks (since my 6 wk check up). It just takes time and I have come to terms with the fact that I can only do what I can do.

It will not help you to compare yourself to others but I totally understand. I can trip over a piece of lint, so I get nervous thinking of not having the cane. I think that our minds can be our worst enemy at times.

I have been sleeping in the family room in a recliner as just couldn't get comfortable in bed. I was more comfortable in the recliner than having pillows all over in bed. I try every so often in bed (will try again tonight) but wind up back in the recliner. So, I use our downstairs bathroom most often. I have a raised toilet seat (with the grab bars) in our downstairs bathroom. Using our upstairs bathroom, I still have trouble getting on/off toilet. It is a low toilet and it seems a long way down! Getting up, it is just hard for me.

It may be that I was in so much pain prior to surgery that I am afraid...I don't know. No real reason at this point that I should have trouble. I do have back issues that I will address at a later time and my right knee is giving me trouble. Yes,that could play a part in it as well. However, my point is, there are things that I still have trouble with at 8+ weeks. I know I will get there. Hang in there.
 
Glad to see I'm in good company :) . I used crutches, walker and riser long after I needed them, mostly because it was easier. I've been able to walk short distances w/o aids from 6-8 weeks but not long distances.

Today I took my daily hour walk with trekking poles and decided to carry them during the return leg home. After 10-15 minutes my gait was wobbly and op leg femur was achy and tired. Seems I've been relying on the poles to bear weight. Argh, so frustrating as I'm trying to blend in with the others on the trail but am easily passed by runners, cyclist -even other walkers :hissy:

@Nana40 I could balance on my operated leg within the first week or so but it def wasn't comfortable. If you are still experiencing significant pain upon weight bearing perhaps you should check in with your OS.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@HippyHappy, it seems as though we are part of a large group, which in itself is reassuring. I am 7 wks out and doing my best to walk with one crutch rather than two, at least for part of the time. However, it is tiring and uncomfortable and I have come to accept that walking normally will just take longer than I expected. I have come away for a few days, and to see the car loaded up with my toilet raiser, cushions and pillows, you would think I was going away for a month! When I had my 6 wk check up, my OS told me I could start to relax the restrictions, but that's easier said than done! I still feel I definitely need the toilet raiser and am very wary of low chairs, so am taking my cushions out to restaurants. I still feel like I need them!
We will all get there in the end, but the routes we take are all unique. Hope you start to see some improvements soon and don't lose heart, there are many of us who have felt the same way!
Take care
Diane
 
I had my 6 week post op THR check up this week, and was astonished that I still cannot walk without the walker.
Astonished at 6 weeks? I'm not. You had MAJOR surgery - you're not going to get over it in 6 short weeks. That's why we usually say 10-12 weeks before you can stop being astonished!
the worse your hip is going in, the longer the recovery.
This is actually a bit of a myth. If your hip is so bad you cannot walk and have to use a wheelchair and need help getting into/out of bed, the that might be the case, otherwise not. It just that people usually expect too much to soon and get disappointed when their expectations don't come to fruition. Much better to have a kind of 'worst case scenario' approach and then you won't get disappointed!
 
Thank you for the insight, Josephine...as always. I do not know where I have heard that but always something to learn. I have learned quite a bit from everyone here.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom