Guest viewing is limited

THR Nohipwndr recovery thread<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Nohipwndr,

There are some older threads on Bonesmart discussing Lateral Femoral Cutaneous Nerve injury following an anterior THR. Another name for it is Meralgia Parenthetia. That may be contributing to to your front and lateral leg discomfort.

Heal well and feel better.
 
@carolm did I miss something? Why are you suggesting there is nerve damage? She is not even 2 weeks out?
 
@VThereandnow

My wording was: "that may be contributing".

The nerve that supplies sensation to the front and side of the thigh is vulnerable during the anterior surgical approach.

Josephine referenced this same thing back in 2010:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20532717#

There are more recent articles online that are readily searchable with the same terms.

It does not affect physical use of the leg. The numbness and stinging usually goes away over time.

Peace
 
@carolm gotcha, good article and good source. Was just not wanting her to worry about something else so early on, but information is a good thing. :) Cathy
 
@VThereandnow

I'm one of those folks who read the consent forms line by line and ask questions before signing. It drives the medical staff crazy because they're usually in a hurry. IDGAD.

There was some fine print in mine consenting to the possibility of a medical student participating in the procedure. I crossed it out and signed my initials. A Resident physician was OK because I'm at a teaching hospital. I would have been fine with a medical student observing but the language said "participating" and no one could define the limits of that term.

With the mini posterior approach, I acknowledged that the procedure could injure my sciatic nerve and that I could have a post-op foot drop. One of the very first things they checked when they woke me up was if I could pump my ankle up and down.
 
@Josephine Thank you so very much for your input! I did read the articles and they were so helpful. I don't know why I didn't even think the heel pumps, quad squeezes etc were exercising! I was so focused on not getting a DVT!
I'll take more meds and ice more too.
Thank you again. I think I just needed to hear that. And I'll forgive myself for not being better sooner too!
 
Be gentle with yourself, in fact be as gentle with yourself as you would be with a friend or family member who was going through this. What a concept huh? Lol. Funny to think of what we would be saying to another person and what we say to ourself - it is soo different. My partner keeps reminding me of that :) I hope some of that pain is going down. Actually when I increased my elevating and icing, it did help my thigh pain. Not that it is gone, but it did improve, and I hope yours does too. -Cathy
 
@VThereandnow Thanks Cathy, You are correct. I would be so much kinder to a patient than I am to myself. I so want to say that every day my pain is slightly better. And maybe it really is. I think the numbness is getting better and the leg just feels so strange as it's waking up! Maybe that's what I'm feeling. I've been up today, got cleaned up, made breakfast, did dishes and now resting. If this sunshine keeps up I might venture outside today!
We are both making progress. Keep up the good work!
 
My leg is going through different things too. I still have a lot of numbness, tingling, and tightness and then sometimes, like you said, I will feel odd sensations when different things wake up or come alive. It sure is on odd experience sometimes. There can be such an up and down nature to healing also. One day I feel like I am making so much progress then like today, oops, maybe I paid a bit for that progress and have to dial it back a bit. It is a good lesson on learning to tune in to our bodies.

I hope the sun came out with enough time for you to get outside. Yes indeed, we are making progress :smile2:
You keep up the good work too, and the patience lol
 
Yup - recovery is bit of a roller coaster ride - just hold on tight!
[Bonesmart.org] Nohipwndr recovery thread<
 
Thanks @Jaycey . It is up and down. Many times all in the same day! I think that's all part of fighting the depression too!

I did get outside yesterday and oh how gorgeous it was! Today is supposed to be another spectacular day and I'm planning another outing. Maybe I can walk just a little further today!
I had a nurse friend come over and look at my wound yesterday and told me that it looked really good. I'm just over thinking things as usual. Attitude and Patience!
 
Here I am at day 12 post op. Wow what a difference a few days makes! I've stopped trying to do those exercises. I'm icing for longer periods of time. I'm taking my pain meds in a more regular fashion. And now I'm moving around quite a bit more. My attitude is so much better. I'm still using the walker but trying to walk more straight. Not as much limping. I still wish all this healing stuff was done but feeling better every day.
 
@carolm Thanks for the info about the Lateral Femoral Cutaneous Nerve! I just saw that post today! I did some research on it and I believe I can rule that out. Always good to have info. I believe my problem is with that IT band. That fits all my symptoms.
Hope things are going well for you and that you are healing well.
 
@Nohipwndr glad you're feeling better, it's still early days. Feeling well does affect your mood and outlook :)
Had a bout with IB tendinitis before and after the first thr and stopped all exercises, reduced activities and rested with ice which worked a charm.
 
Just noticed this comment
There was some fine print in mine consenting to the possibility of a medical student participating in the procedure. I crossed it out and signed my initials. A Resident physician was OK because I'm at a teaching hospital. I would have been fine with a medical student observing but the language said "participating" and no one could define the limits of that term.
Generally speaking, this would not ever mean a medical student would actually DO anything in the surgery apart from holding a retractor or use a sucker and even that would be under the direct instruction/supervision of the surgeon. Otherwise what would be the point of surgeons being required to be board certified?
 


The entire purpose of informed consent is to provide patients undergoing elective surgery the freedom of choice to make decisions.

On the morning of surgery, the Orthopedic Nurse explained all of my options and the potential impact of my decisions. Excluding medical students was a decision offered to me and I chose to take it.

My body, my 4K out of pocket expenses, my choice.

No one else has to make the same decision as me, nor I am I advocating that anyone do so.

And not all Orthopedic Surgeons in the US are "Board Certified". After completion of Orthopedic Surgery residency, the surgeon takes a written exam and, upon passing, becomes "Board Eligible" . They have to practice for two years before going before the Board again to take an oral exam and present the results of surgical cases they have performed in the past 2 years. If they meet all criteria, they become Board Certified. My point is that a Board Eligible surgeon has to do a lot of surgical cases before they can be come Board Certified.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom