THR Aussie's Posterior LTHR

MyAussieGirl

supremo
Country
United States United States
I'm wondering if it's lazy to just be up and walking , cleaning etc for only 1.5 hrs. I am beat now and that's all I did.

Also um ladies, how to you get yourself totally clean with bathroom issues. On both ..please and not just the one area. My one leg is swollen doesn't leave lots of room if you get my drift.

I feel bad too I cannot get up from laying ... I need another hip replacement and I have a torn rotator cuff so I am upper body weak, hubby has to lug me up..Oh joy lol anyone else? I am feeling a bit of a lay about ..Thank you

@MyAussieGirl Welcome to BoneSmart! At only 4 days out of major surgery you should not be doing anything except rest, ice, elevate and take your meds. No cleaning or chores for several weeks. You need all your energy to recover. Read the articles below especially Chart representation of THR recovery and How long does healing take.

Regarding trying to get up from sitting - at this point sit on hard chairs with arms or in front of a table so that you can lift yourself. This will all get easier as the days go by.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this: Activity progression for THRs

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Just like long handled reachers, there are long handled toilet tissue aids available for sale online. They have cute names like "bottom buddy", "freedom wand", "long reach" and "comfort wipe" and others that are a bit more clinical sounding. Once you see one picture, the concept is similar. Be sure to add the search words of "long handled toilet tissue holder" because the brand names alone may bring up photos and descriptions that mean much different things.

This fat-bottomed girl starts with a flushable wet wipe and finishes with dry tp. Probably too much information throughout this post.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wondering if it's lazy to just be up and walking , cleaning etc for only 1.5 hrs.
Er, excuse me? Cleaning on the 4th day? BIG no-no! Read the articles Jaycey left you, particularly this one Activity progression for THRs

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

Hi Josephine,
Sure feel free to ask me a few questions. I will say when I said cleaning I didn't mean scrubbing floors or hard things. More like I did a few dishes and cleaned junk off the counter. Carried items under my chin using my Walker , threw some cateloges out...Things small but in the end gave me a sense of accomplishment and the place looked less ugh. I also did it in the time I was told to walk hourly to avoid clots. I also did the 6 PT steps I was given on exit

I'm grateful for any help I can get I have had only 1 only surgery my tonsils years ago

Hey Jaycey,
Wow awesome gathering of information thank you I will be reading it the next couple days. I will say my surgeon has a few things differently but be I do not know a lot yet. He said I will no doubt go from the Walker to a cane in 2 weeks. I will be reading and no doubt asking a few questions as I progress Again Thanks you

CarolM I loved your post and how you worded it so cute and funny ... I'll look into these... I asked my PT but she never said just that I will trial and error..

Lol not an area I wanna error in hehe

I will share with you and all without booking I found a long handled way to shave your legs....I'm not up to that yet but it's cool for later.... Thank you for the both kind and humorous reply . I am not allowed to even try to drive till 4 weeks from now at best

Just a small comment my dog we have only had him wow just over 2 months .... Hubby feeds him now but I keep a small bag of pigs ears and toys you stuff treats in so if hubby is out I can give my dog something to do. He got mad at me for typing while his treat was under my Walker you should have heart his yip bark. I am tired going to read some of the information in here and dose...This is my Australian Shepherd and Australian Cattle Dog or GSD boy ... Oh yes I forgot we advocate for those with Epilepsy

Attachments

• 17547052_1506171406062221_2891175904144942271_o.jpg
    17547052_1506171406062221_2891175904144942271_o.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 474
What a handsome boy he is!!! Sounds like he has a lot of character too. That helps keep you company during recovery, I bet.

Let me echo what the others have said. This is a time devoted only to you and your recovery. The home chores and the rest of the world take a back seat. You have to give yourself permission to not feel guilty about chores not done (we often tell people, "If no one will get sick or die, let it go!"). Your body needs a lot of energy to heal from this major surgery and right now even small tasks will take away from your energy levels. Read those articles and ask any questions you may have. We're here for you.

He said I will no doubt go from the Walker to a cane in 2 weeks.
I really don't like it when surgeons set this type of expectation. Literally every THR is different - even on the same person. Please don't feel pressured to meet any timeframe for transitioning from your walker. The transition will come - but on your own time!

Hi guys it's my day 3 post op LTHR. I got discharged just 48 hrs after surgery. I've allowed my hubby to take care of me and done no house work, unless you include straightening the bed! I would have thought after major surgery we are allowed to be a 'lay about'.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

" I've allowed my hubby to take care of me and done no house work".

jimjam: Send him around this way please!! He can watch the City matches on our satellite television ( after finishing the house work, of course :cheers: ).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jamie,
Thanks for the support and well showing an interest in my dog. He really has been good medicine as has my cat....The turtles are cute but they're not too much company lol. I think for me it's 3 part I feel guilty just laying around but I get bored by doing little things it makes my day go a little faster ...And though I'd rather paint etc I feel I contributed if that makes sense ... I see my doctor's PA Tuesday I'll see what she can advise that is maybe in between doing and still feeling accomplishment... Again thank you you all seem so kind and have that been there knowledge

Lol HEY Jimjam I too came out in less than 48 hrs.., I think I am just one of those restless souls

CarolM lol mine doesn't mind doing it all really you can borrow him... In time he has a hernia operation due and I will do all for him too

HUGS to all

Final question for today.... I am taking laxatives per my doctor they told me the one day hold off cause they gave me too much in the hospital....Anyhow day 2 not a full day yet....I haven't voided ummm tips? Ideas? Help lol I am getting grumpy

Jaycey Thank you I am not yet feeling pressure on my doctor's expectations .....I kind of don't care cane or Walker... I just want to get on with life and not just sit around it's a little depressing I know it's normal but it will get to me in time like SAD I hate being focused so much on stuff like BMs...... I think I'm trying not to get depressed and depressing to be around

You might check this out Constipation and stool softeners

And here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine)

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Hugs Josephine much thanks on all the information and being here as for some reason I feel a little down. Someone caring helps

1 Anterior though to me my scar seems to the side a bit

2 pain level right now 1

3 Percocet 10/325 every 4_6 hrs doc said less if I want
MS Contin 15 1 every 12 hrs but we discontinued it

4 ice machine I use it when not up or sleeping on average 25 minutes per hour

5 Yes but they don't want them on a pillow just off the floor so like now I have my legs up on the sofa with
th ice pack on hip area been at it an hour take it off here and there

6 I haven't been out of the house my first outing is to see PA ... I would say my level for day 6 post OP is sluggish imo

7 Inside I straighten up the house...Bathroom counters, separate clothes for wash, play and prep pets meals, clean bathrooms with long sticks...Walk in the house a lot with my Walker...Fold clothes UP on a counter ... I do the 6 home exercises my PT gave me to go home with
..a...With walker leg squats....10 at each one hold to count of 6
B..Leg low swings.. 10 ...Hold to count of 6 repeat
C...Small bends at knees. Same 10 hold at count of 6 repeat... PT did not give these names... Sorry
D ..walk they have on the form walk every hour awake

I wash counters, dry dishes...Kind of make the bed it's sloppy....Little House cleaning things... Frankly I try to make safe things to do to keep busy

Also thank you for the information on constipation. My doctor gave me Docusate Sodium 100 mg to be taken 2 times a day I was told he does that with all post OP patients on opioids ... I still suffer on some days Well today and yesterday ..In the hospital they gave me 4 different meds for this I got diarrhea we decided just on this.

I am thinking maybe I ought to mega modify my diet so we got prunes, bran flakes, walnuts for in salad...Chickpeas.... I hope it helps this is upsetting and I can't find an area where people are talking on it ... I know it happens yet I feel so alone

Hi! I was out of the hospital in 27 hours and a bit similar to you. When I was up walking in the house, I put in a load of laundry, transferred to dryer and would clean up the kitchen a bit. Nothing big but it gave me something to do while up moving to prevent blood clots. I had no restrictions post op, no PT. My OS said to do things as tolerated. I was not doing a lot, but little things helped my brain. I would also read, work on a jigsaw puzzle and watch tv. However, my concentration in the very beginning wasn't great so it was more watching tv, adding things as able. I didn't take narcotics after the first day post op, so only had a couple of days of constipation. I am 9.5 weeks post op and have 2 more weeks home before going back to work. I didn't anticipate the fact that this is major surgery and takes quite some time to recover.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member