Guest viewing is limited

THR Nohipwndr recovery thread<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like uneventful turned exciting quick haha. Yeah, early days, so you don't want to get behind the pain. Good to get started to be ahead of it. Not sure why you think you should not be relying on walker. Your surgery was just a few days ago. Give yourself a break Margo. Slow and steady wins the race for sure, especially early on. Think of what they just did to you. The body needs a bit of assistance to heal. Hope you get that shower, the first one feels sooo good. Having the pain near knee is common. The IT band connects down there. Be gentle with yourself -Cathy
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Cathy re the walker.
Your very early in your recovery and the walker or at least a cane will help with both pain and gait.
It'll be worth it in the end.
Well done so far.
Joe.....
 
I agree about the walker as well. My doctor advised me to use it for the first 2 weeks until I went for staple removal. I was then told to try using the cane and it would be perfectly fine to toggle between the 2, if need be. I am 7 weeks 3 days post op and my goal now is to get off the cane. However, I walk much better with it, so it's still attached to me...lol. I am trying to let my body be the guide to all of this, as opposed to what I would prefer. Keep up the good work!!!
 
@Nagwa Oh my gosh,I agree its not enough pain med. you must call your doctor. I'm so sorry that you are having so much pain. I'm taking anti inflammatories too along with Acetaminophen and Aspirin 325mg twice a day. And then using the narcotic very sparingly.
Please try and make yourself eat and drink as that will be very important to your healing too. Even if you don't feel like it.
I can't walk without my walker either. Too painful. I was able to get in the shower today with a chair and wash my hair. That always makes me feel better.
I hope you feel better very soon.
 
Nivea, Irish Joe Funny how we think we should be able to do more than we are no matter what stage we are at. I think its good that we want to do better but I think its just human nature to beat ourselves up!. Thanks for the advice on the walker. I am trying to stand up straight though as I walk and bend my right knee in a more natural walk but that zinger gets me every now and then!
 
Cooked myself some eggs for breakfast. Wore me out. I think I'll have to go lay down again! Icing, Icing , Icing.
 
:ice: Kind of made me laugh you saying cooked some eggs, whew, wore me out, but a comoradarie funny :heehee: My partner has been home and doing everything, but last Wed she had to go to a conference and the real reality set it. I was getting something from the closet and dropped it and stuff went all over the floor. It was a light small box, no biggie but there was no one home sooo, walk to the kitchen to get the grabber, and one by one pick things up etc etc. I did not know where the day went, getting my own ice, coffee, going to get my pills etc etc. haha. Another day a friend came over and gave me a little metal charm that had a turtle on it, when I turned it over it had the word patience on it. Put it by my recliner so I will see it all the time :) I need it

Sunny out today after cloudy days, going to take my first walk outside yay! Seems like you settled into a little more realistic place with things. I hope things keep going smoothly for you. Cathy
 
@VThereandnow oh, to go outside! That's wonderful! I'm so glad you are doing better too! Oh my gosh, sorry about the dropped box! I'm picturing all these little things all over the floor! Criminy!
It's been so windy and rainy here. I'm sure looking forward to going outside!
Being independent feels good to me. Taking the pain meds as directed is so important. I learned that the hard way. I'm moving around so much better
 
My partner was home with me all week, but went back to work today. It was great but now I am ready to do more on my own, though the PT wants me to still have someone with if I go outside. Yes, though I have spaced them out and am taking less, I am still taking meds. My thigh is still sore and stiff, though getting that crazy swelling down helped, though I still have some, which is nomal. ...and if it is too sore it hinders my progress. I was bopping around the site a bit and saw somone say they did not have to take any meds but Tylenol after hospital and had no pain to think of. Had to pull the reins in on my comparison tendencies haha and be glad for them, but that is not how it is for me and I need to be ok with that. Like Nivea said back in your thread, have to let the body be our guide.

Well I hope it stops raining there so you can get outside. Just that little bit of fresh air felt so good. I will keep my fingers crossed for some sunshine - Cathy
 
The sunshine was out and I couldn't help myself. I stepped out on the porch with my walker for about 5 minutes. Felt and smelled really good! Looking forward to going for a walk outside! I'm hoping maybe this weekend!
 
So today is exactly one week since surgery. I'm pretty much able to take care of myself. I move slowly. I still have pain in the lower part of thigh as well as I'm taking the pain pills almost round the clock. I want to be so much farther along but I am not. I know I have to be patient.
@Josephine Everything is finally moving along so I think I've found the right combo!
I must stop reading all these stories about people who within one week of hip replacement surgery are out climbing Mount Everest! That's just not me.
Getting ready for a nap!
 
Absolutely right, that is not you, and for that matter, that's not me either and that's ok :). I totally understand the comparison thing. It is going to come up, and you just need to come back to that same thing, you are you and you are exactly where you need to be. Everyone is different, different ages, bodies, healing processes, conditions of muscles before surgery, and on and on. Hope it was a good nap :sleep:
 
I was where you were a week ago. I'm at 2 weeks and had my sutures out earlier this AM. That simple act has eliminated one of the painful areas on my butt cheek that hurt every time I sat or walked. I finally got out to the mailbox today. Fatigue sets in as the day goes on and naps are truly a great help.
 
Oh I missed you agreement to answer the questions! So sorry

Here they are!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine)

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
Hi,Nohipwndr happy to your recovery progress
And your sunny days
 
@Josephine
1) Anterior
2)2 when sitting can be up to 7 or 8 when walking( Stabbing burning pain at times when walking to lateral aspect of femur just above the knee. Also deep incisional discomfort also when walking. Feels tight inside at incision site but no swelling. Expected dependent bruising to r lateral aspect of thigh with numbness entire lateral femur. I have no fever. The skin is not hot to touch. No signs of infection.) Is this normal? Should I be calling the doctor?
3) EC ASA 325mg bid
Etolodac ER 400mg qd
Omeprazole 20mg qd
Dilaudid 2mg q 6-8 hours
Tylenol 500mg q6H PRN
Senna 8.6mg qd
4)Yes every 2-3 hours for 10-20 minutes at a time, less at night
5) Almost continuously. I have an electric recliner and a tempurpedic adjustable bed.
6) Today is day 8 post op. I'm taking care of myself within the home. Heating up food, in and out of bed. Friends come to bring me supplies or standby while I shower. I make laps around the house with my walker. I can take a few steps on my own but I rely heavily still on the walker due to pain.
7)I do the heel pumps, quad things and butt squeezes at least 4 times a day. No physical therapy. I make laps around the house anytime I get up-day or night.

Thank you!
 
2)2 when sitting can be up to 7 or 8 when walking
Okay
3) EC ASA 325mg bid
Etolodac ER 400mg qdOmeprazole 20mg
Dilaudid 2mg 6-8 hours
Tylenol 500mg 6hrly PRN
You're rather undermedicated.
Etolodac ER is an NSAID so doesn't really count.
Dilaudid 2mg is a very small dose. I would assume that your prescription states 1 or 2 every 4-6 hours in which case you should be taking 2. I also suggest you take the Tylenol in 1,000mg doses with the Dilaudid 4 times every 24hrs.
4)Yes every 2-3 hours for 10-20 minutes at a time, less at night
You accomplish little or nothing in 20 minutes. Ice for at least 40-60mins and more than 4 times a day.
5) Almost continuously. I have an electric recliner and a tempurpedic adjustable bed.
And same as above. In fact, elevate when icing.
6) Today is day 8 post op. I'm taking care of myself within the home. Heating up food, in and out of bed.
Jolly good! You did read the recovery articles Pumpkln left for you in post #2? Specially the one about activity progression?
I make laps around the house with my walker. I can take a few steps on my own but I rely heavily still on the walker due to pain.
Yes, don't dispense with the walker for some time yet.
7)I do the heel pumps, quad things and butt squeezes at least 4 times a day. No physical therapy. I make laps around the house any time I get up-day or night.
Did you also miss the bit about no exercises needed? That means NO exercises. At all. The walking is all you need but this early out, don't get obsessed about it. Every couple of hours is plenty. Right now you need to focus on healing and nothing else!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom