Guest viewing is limited

tkr 19 days old, roller coaster ride!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kneesup

junior member
Joined
Feb 27, 2011
Messages
39
Age
68
Location
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I had my right total knee replacement 19 days ago on the 8th feb. Was in hospital for 5 days , would have been 4 except they had a problem getting my pain medication right as it was too strong and sending me loopy! After adjustment , ( I'm on oxycontin slow release twice a day and oxynorm up to four times for breakthrough pain) and me demonstrating that i could go up a few stairs , I found myself at home again!. Spent the first few days sleeping and using my crutches around the house. We had just taken delivery of a new 10 week old puppy, ( not the best timing! but I accepted a cancellation to get my knee done) so whilst my hubby is a teacher and has to work, the puppy was accepted in the local kennel as a "day boy" which was a Godsend! Now its 2 weeks today since I came home and I can move around the house without my crutches and apart from feeling very up and down emotionally I think I'm doing ok.
This site has kept me occupied the last few nights so I thought I'd join in. I have been following the sheet of excersises the hospital gave me and am due to go to the hospital PT on 1st March. I'm having to write everything down, like when i've taken my tablets because my memory seems to have gone kaput.
I met a friend of a friend last week who is a physio guy and he said "ok, show me what you can do"! He asked me to stand on my operated leg only , just touch the ground with the toe of the unopperated leg and dip up and down on my operated knee. I couldn't do this at all......he said he had 70 year olds who could do this days afer surgery ( Im 53) . The result in me was , upset, lost confidence and feeling I wasn't doing very well. So many people seem to have instructions etc. I have decided to listen to my own body,when I'm ready to dip up and down on my new knee , I will ! Anyone else had people giving "good " advice?
I was overweight before surgery and trying to lose some as I know it doesn't help. Being in pain for 2 years and unbale to do any excersise has not helped. I'm wortking now on losing weight as I become more active. Would like to hear form anyomne who was embarrassed to be overweight having knee replacement too.
I have been out shopping with crutches and have been on short walks around the house outside. Thankyou to the many , many posts on here that have helped me already. Julie :loveshower:
 
A big DOPE SLAP to your "friend" who is a physio.

I sat in PT and watched all the older people bopping around doing their exercises with smiles on their faces, while I bit on a towel to do mine (with 2 percocets and aspirin on board). This was upsetting to say the least.

My Os told me that older people tend to do better because their nerves become less sensitive as one ages, also some of these people generally have lower expectations that us. There are many older people on this board who are leaving very active lives, and some of them have had little pain in doing so. Some have had more pain but move on anyway.

I'm not sure what prompts people to say such mean and demoralizing things.
Does it make them feel good to make us feel worthless?

It is hard but don't listen to them.
Perhaps your "friend" would benefit from your response being: "Thanks for making me feel worse than I already feel". Jerk.

Stay on this site, you will hear all sorts of recovery stories, some people are awesome from the start. The majority of us struggle as you are.
Keep up the good fight, and keep your distance from your "friend"

Sandy
 
Hi Julie,

I am in the UK too and 5+ months on from my RTKR. I was in hospital 5 days and a physio did not come near or by, only on the last day and then to do the dreaded stairs test!! I had not other physio booked until another 5 weeks or so later, and had two sessions and they told me that they did not need to see me again I was doing so well, and I was.

It really is two steps forward, one step back, and please be prepared for a long recovery period. Its not easy, there is a fair amount of pain and stress involved, and sleeping is virtually unheard of, but there are always the Bone smarty guys here on this site, with words of encouragement and so much advice, and many others a lot worse off than yourself, so please log on and get "talking" and please take care. The bible words tend to be "ICE" "ELEVATE" "REST" and to take your pain meds and not be in any pain.

The physios will tell you to push yourself into the pain barrier, but our guru Josephine on this site told me "any pain - no gain" and this is what I go by now.

I am getting there, you will too, its a long process, and there are hiccups, but we are all here to talk to you, comiserate, have hissy fits ourselves, but mostly its the wonderful support you will get that makes it a wonderful world. I am looking forward all the time now, and just know that it will be OK in time. PATIENCE is the most important word to learn. Welcome and take time to heal you are doing great!! I tooam overweight and trying, but thats another story........:dancy:
 
Thnaks for your kind words......I am realising that I have to have patience, not something that comes naturally to me! Its really hard to know what my expectations were a few weeks ago, but now 19 days in, I'm going to just take it one day at a time. How long do you leave the ice on your knee for? cheers Julie
 
I can totally relate to you as I am 51 and have been a top ranked athlete my whole life, so Ive been really strong even riding 100 miles a week on my bike up until Dec 7th, 2010 when I had my TKR. My mother at 72 had her knee replaced and got back to sports very fast, and was constantly on me the last 2 months about not having the same flexion she had, not being as active as she was, etc. etc. I also saw those older people at PT that didnt look that athletic that had great results while I was lagging, with lots of swelling etc. I am now at 11 weeks and doing really well, but in the first few weeks my quad muscle was in shock (I later read all about this) and I couldnt even do the leg lifts or quad sets very well. In fact, when I was in the hospital doing the first 2 days of PT I could do a leg lift at all, I was lifting my operative leg up with the assistance of the foot of my non operative leg. So don't get down, it happens to the strongest of us, and time is your friend, don't push yourself too hard, just enough to get the ROM and the rest will come in time! Thats what they kept telling me, and they were right!!!
 
Hello, Kneesup, and welcome to BoneSmart. I can only echo Sandy - what a jerk that chap was. Please pay no attention to him whatsoever!

Since you've only just joined us, may I suggest a good read in the Library? In particular these threads which give the lowdown on this recovery.
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Discussion on managing pain in TKR surgery
Using ice (To answer your question)

Some suggestions for home physio (PT)
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"
It's never too late to get more ROM!
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it


Do keep posting and share your progress with us.
 
This is a long, slow process---please remember that everybody heals and recovers differently from this trauma done to their knees.

It was tough for me to have a BTKR, and my adhesions didn't help, either. I was worried about my father, who is 81, having a TKR done on 12/14 of last year---he did better than I did with the pain and with ROM!

We have this mindset that the harder we work the better we should get, but that isn't the way at all. This is not athletic training, and I did plenty of that, too. Instead of pushing ourselves, expecting positive results (off the charts?) we have to come to the conclusion (possibly slowly) that the more we do, the farther behind we can possibly get.

Find you "comfort zone" and stay in it. Remain positive (hat is easier said than done!) and remember that this is a marathon and not a sprint.

The pain meds and the anesthesia take a toll on a person emotionally---I never cried, but I was just down in the dumps and watched the world go by when I would stand at my front window. Again, remember that this is normal---and as you begin to assimilate more of your routine into your life, the better you will feel.

There will be some great days, some good days, and some days that are just the pits... that is a fact that many of us have had to learn. Just strap yourself into the ride, and you will eventually be pain-free and problems free---you will be fully recovered.
 
Hi, Kneesup.....welcome to BoneSmart! I'm glad you've joined our family. Stick with us and NO ONE here will make remarks about what you can and can't do because BoneSmarties are clever enough to know that each of us heals in our own way!!!

That said, recovering from a knee replacement can be a longer process than you may think. Most people report that it's around the 6-month mark before they really start feeling normal again. Now that doesn't mean that you are immobile before that point....just that you could have some pain and swelling or problems sleeping or lack some stamina to do things.

This is a time where you need to listen to your body and respond accordingly. If it hurts, make sure you are icing/elevating and taking pain meds. If you're tired, that's your cue to rest more. If you have swelling you may want to scale back your activity level. It's all about balance between rest, activity and proper pain management.
 
Hi Julie!

I was overweight before surgery and lost 80 lbs after my first TKR. I have managed to keep 65 lbs off and I feel better!:biggrin: Once the pain starts to go away, you will feel so much better and you will be able to go on walks and do things that you haven't been able to before.:happy dance:It will be amazing at first, but after awhile you will want to up your exercise regime. I have been getting ready for my revision on the 2nd knee so I can get back out there and live again! I have already had an offer of a workout buddy that works at the place where I go to PT. I am pumped!:yes 4:
 
Hi Sonja, thanks for your reply, most encouraging, you sound to be doing a fantastic job ! I've been feeling really down, so have been eating things I shouldn't.......it has to stop, I want to be active and hopefully return to golf this year. My oh my, having to have another op.........respect to you...love Julie :loveshower:
 
You go girls! :yahoo:
I made a commitment to loose 50# prior to my LTKR and I DID it in 7 months, I could ride the stationary bike but that was pretty much IT and that even had its limits!I had to do all my weight loss through making good food choices.
but I DID IT!!!!!
It IS possible!
I'm up about 3# since my surgery but I have been eating some foods I don't normally in the ongoing effort to keep my GUT working! (sigh)
my goal is to be down 25 more by June 1.
I FEEL so much better having shed the weight, and it did nothing but "help" my knees.
 
You are and will do fine. My reccomendation is that the use of the word friend should no longer apply to the not so helpful aquaintance.

I have weighed as much as 400 lbs, still have much to lose, those who have not been large just don't get it. Making you feel bad does not motivate!
 
I am very sorry that I did not welcome yo to the forum! My apologies! I do not cater to anybody giving unsolicited advice.

The PT guy may have 70-year olds doing stuff; however, he forgets that everybody heals differently and the important thing is to help people---not to admonish them!

I was blessed with excellent PT's---I had some issues with my rehab, but never once did they treat me poorly---they kept on working with me.

We have to understand---as do the good PT's---that some times, the "road" we call recovery curves somewhat---if we continue to go straight, we go off of the road. The smart ones---both the patients and the PT's---recognize that this road called recovery has curved---and we just curve with it!

Stay focused and stay positive---there is absolutely no reason to feel embarrassed. WE will be here for you.
 
Hi Sonja, thanks for your reply, most encouraging, you sound to be doing a fantastic job ! I've been feeling really down, so have been eating things I shouldn't.......it has to stop, I want to be active and hopefully return to golf this year. My oh my, having to have another op.........respect to you...love Julie :loveshower:

Thanks Julie!:biggrin:

I know about feeling down and hitting the chocolate! That's where I gained back 15 pounds, but boy was it good!:hysterical:

After you have your knees replaced, you will be able to hit the golf course or anything else that you want to do! What a difference from now, when the pain gets so bad that people feel like giving up!:WINK1:


 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom