TKR Zombies Love to Dance<

That sounds like a good day Smokey.I'm glad your PT had a sympathetic approach. I hope the Big Mac doesn't keep you awake! Keep warm.

I am already regretting that Big Mac :eeeuw: can’t elevate if your stuck in the bathroom all afternoon! Next time I’m going to celebrate an outing with steak and lobster also had to take a hydrocodone a very tiring outing :swoon:

Oh dear, you poor thing. I hope you're feeling better now and you get a good night's sleep tonight. :friends:

16 days with “Miss Krabby Knee” previous name “lefty” she has been a challenge before surgery and is now proving she wants to keep challenging me post TKR. Yesterday Morning and afternoon she was calm, flexible and quiet. Last night it was a different story. She could not have been more of a brat! She was hot, itchy, painful and would not settle down. No sleep for me I could not get comfortable anywhere and this is after I treated her like a princess all day. Took hydrocodone, Tramadol, Tylenol PM . Nothing seemed to touch it. She’s better this morning but gosh and golly this healing is not for the faint hearted! My daughters 40th birthday bash at Wing’s and Things is tonight. I am determined to go for at least an hour not sure what price Miss Kabby Knees will have me pay. :dubious:

I am sorry you are having a rough time at present. It always seems worse at night doesn't it? Would it have helped to ice it at night? It might cool it down if nothing else. I hope you enjoy the birthday bash and don't suffer too much for it. Maybe Miss Krabby Knee is rebelling against what's been done to her? Perhaps a good talking to,or bribery, might do something - not sure what though!

I sleep with my feet elevated and have a cryo cuff Ossur water circulating device I use pretty much 24/7. When I am off my feet I am elevated and icing with this device :ice: I just think it’s healing . Doesn’t look infected or swollen :good-bad:

I relate to what you’re saying. Isn’t that constant pain and uncomfortable nagging, despite all efforts, upsetting. And as you say, always at night. I’m still not up to going anywhere ... not even for a few hours! Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good to hear it doesn't look like infection, hope it behaves tonight.

Sending you empathy vibes about the night time-pain. It seems almost impossible to find a comfortable and reasonably pain-free position, the hope and pray you don't have a night-time pain attack.

:zzz::bored:

I found when my knee wouldn't get pain free at, no matter what I did, that if I got up and walked a little bit or rode my recumbent bike, the knee would calm down and then let me sleep for a few hours.

@SnowHare @Lindylee @sistersinhim thank you all. It is terribly frustrating these nighttime episodes but I know they will soon pass (or at least I hope)

I just got back from my little outing for my daughters birthday. It went really well. I walked in by cane and everyone was amazed how well I was getting around. I was amazed ! A co worker of my daughters had her knees replaced 4 years ago and said at 16 days she was still having issues and using a walker and hadn’t left the house other than OS and PT. I think what helped me was to get dressed up, put on jewelry, did my hair , I put on makeup look good feel good right? A lot of work for 1 1/2 hrs. But got my mind off of the knee.

No good can come without bad - I got home hooked up my ossur cold therapy machine and it doesn’t work! It will not circulate that lovely cold water.l :blackcloud::gaah: This machine has been my lifeline for the past 16 days. Of course it’s Saturday and all the rehabilitation equipment stores are closed until Monday. Even if I ordered one online the soonest I can get it is next Wednesday evening. So it will be ice packs for now:groan:Hubby is tinkering with it which is fine can’t return it.

I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself and had a good time. The feel good factor counts for so much and the nights will improve. I had my best night last night, still disjointed sleep admittedly, but a total of around 7 hours. At last I seem to have passed the 3.15 wake up call.
What a bummer though to find your machine's not working. I hope it's soon repaired and the ice packs keep things calm in the meantime. :console2:

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear about your ice machine. I was hooked to mine almost the whole time I was down for the first couple of months. Does it have a fuse? That would be an easy and quick fix. Whatever is wrong, I pray husband can fix it.

My beloved ice machine is done, broken, expired and terminated! :bawl: My hubby tinkered with it and was not able to apply life support. Doctors worry about opioid addiction but in my case it was this machine. I did ok with ice packs and slept pretty decent last night but already miss it. I did put a rush order on a replacement that is due to arrive Tuesday. So in the meantime it’s “ice ice baby” with gel packs!

Awww, I hope you gave it a good send off. Good to hear you slept better. :sleep:

Slept pretty decent last night. Just used a Tramadol and Tylenol PM. Did not have any hydrocodone yesterday. Noticed if I just use the Tylenol ES during the day and the Tramadol and Tylenol PM at night I didn’t have the nausea I’ve had to deal with. Here I was blaming the Tramadol - I think the combination I had been using for pain management made me ill.

The only reason I had to get up was to replace my ice packs. First they were too cold and had to add a layer or 2 over my skin and then an couple hours it was warm. I miss my ice machine! I don’t want to wait for my order to come (which now has been delayed) hubby and I drove to the medical supply facility and purchased one. I am now at home Laying and elevating with my new machine. Complete Bliss.

I also had to get my INR Pro time tested again I walked in the clinic for labs, my PCP’ s nurse saw me and was amazed I was walking so well at only 3 weeks. I have ditched the walker and just had my cane.

I have been walking around the house, doing a minimum of stretches, exercise. My extension looks good but flexion is my challenge. PT suggested I do these exercises with 20 reps, 5 times a day! I have been doing them 3 times a day and 10 reps. I am not in a hurry to hit those numbers they think I should have. My least favorite is those heel slides (I loath them) Am I alone?

All in all I am feeling that the worst is behind me. Those first couple of weeks were rough between the pain, nausea, countless blood tests and sleepless nights what kept me positive and not alone in my suffering was reviewing recovery threads! Thank you all

Heel slides are not essential, so if you don’t like them, stop doing them. That goes for the other exercises as well. Comfortable walks are better for your knee anyway.

It’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.

I’m glad you got a new ice machine.

I found the heel slides difficult. I always seemed to go back to square one and move about 2 inches! I did persevere, but only did them to the point of discomfort and never more than 10 until they became easier. Now I do a few when my knee feels stiff and they do seem to help. 20 reps x 5 seems a bit extreme though. Doesn't it feel good though when someone tells you you're walking well? If they'd said it before the TKR, I'd have thought they were being funny. Really good to hear things are improving for you and you have a new ice machine. Enjoy!

@Jockette
I probably should not have termed what I am doing as exercise. More stretching than anything else. Before I get up I work on my bend like what it shows on the bonesmart site laying down. I will also lift the tkr leg straight up and gently bend until uncomfortable with my hand on my thigh ,then some ankle movements. Once I get up I just walk around the house a few times. I also have a couple of steps I practice going up and down on. The rest of my time is elevating and icing ! Nothing like what PT recommended!

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member