Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR YYZ Back To YYC!

One month to date since your revision. Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you continue to celebrate each milestone, no matter how small. It's almost the weekend...hope it's a good one for you! :SUNsmile:
@2chains
 
5 week update

Went to GP last tuesday with lateral pain, swelling and very warm just above knee where fracture was repaired. Will continue to ice and elevate but no more weight bearing exercises as the fracture won't continue to heal otherwise. Continue to work on flexion and extension flexion is about 100 degrees extension is 5 degrees. Just my estimation as I'm not going to PT at the moment...definitely have more than 90 degrees flexion. Still have pain but managing with Tramadol 225mg per day. I'm having common issue where not moving for 30 mins causes major stiffness and pain but moving for 10 minutes is painful too!!!

This will be my last week with the hinged knee brace. Once it is off I will begin PT. Have a 6 week follow up with GP next week... follow up with the surgeon is at 10 weeks due to summer holidays.
 
It sounds like you are coming along well for this early out. Your ROM is good, and you should be excited about that! Be sure and keep us updated on how you are doing, and let us know how your appointment goes next week.
 
Hi @2chains Thanks for the update!
I'll bet you're excited to lose the brace. I hope you find a good match in a PT and have an informative followup with your GP next week.
Happy Wednesday! :)
@2chains
 
6 week update;

First few days without any bracing and things feel ok, knee doesn't feel noticeably weaker! Went to GP for follow up and she is concerned with continued warm sensation below knee. Advised to get off all pain meds as I am still doing too much:banghead:... so will taper off til the end of next week.
Today is first day on reduced pain meds and definitely notice more pain with movement ie. moving leg from footstool etc. let alone weight bearing activity!

Also told I will be on two crutches until 3 months post surgery and to continue doing non weight bearing exercises as the fracture needs to heal.

Overall extension and flexion had been going well but now without pain meds we will see! Extension feels pretty decent but flexion feels a little tight and a pulling sensation. I have been putting Cerave baby healing ointment on the scar the last two weeks but that was it. I have started doing dry scar massage working the tissues for a few minutes twice a day and believe that will help!
:flwrysmile:
 
Thanks for the update, @2chains. Glad to read that you are doing okay without the brace, but sorry you need to avoid weight bearing on that leg for so long.

Slow and steady. :console2:
 
Thank you for stopping by to share an update, 2chains.
You're making progress! Losing the brace and tapering off meds, slowly but surely you'll get there. Please keep us posted. Have a great Thursday and weekend! :)
@2chains
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
We haven't heard from you in a while. I hope you're doing well and you're either off the crutches, or will be soon.
Let us know, we'd love to hear from you.
Have a great rest of the week! :thumb:
@2chains
 
3 month update!

I am back on one crutch after two previous weeks having been reverted to two crutches. Pain in the femur fracture location continues and concern is about the formation of the callus for bone repair.
I was advised by my GP to begin stationary bike work for core strengthening. (I have been doing daily workout on Activcycle) The stationary bike, which is in my basement, created significant pain and swelling after 5 mins 2x day. Not sure if the seat was too low or the additional flight of stairs was causal but discontinued after 3 days. Will re-assess after two week break.

I'm not sure if I mentioned previously but have setup my ice machine with a smart plug and have it on some evenings cycling off/on 45mins. Not using it every night but am using frozen bottles of water which works well. Continue to elevate throughout the day

GP continuing to advise to keep off of knee/leg fracture and I am feeling like a slug! I am continuing to do exercises and have worked back up to 3x daily, quad sets, bridge, leg extension on a roll, tandem balance, various band work with extension/flexion and step ups. Glad I do not have 20+ exercises daily like last surgery experience.

Lateral side of the knee feels inflamed and am getting zingers/aching at the fracture location. Walking and standing is very limited, I was in my garage organizing for 20mins and felt the effects for 5 days after! Stairs are one/two ATM and have tried to progress but the fracture site won't tolerate it yet. Flexing my foot brings on medial pain and I believe that may be inhibiting my walking as well?

PT is once a week right now although I skipped it last week due to pain. Usually the sessions involve leg extension on a roll with a tens machine to stimulate the quad not much else in these sessions. I am considering aquatic therapy but will assess with surgeon sept 16 appointment.

I've noticed the last two mornings my knee is not as stiff upon waking and that is progress! My flexion is doing great at 110 while my extension is 0 so very pleased with that.
 
Thanks for the update, @2chains. You've been on quite a journey, so I'm glad to read that you are noticing some progress! I think you are wise to wait on the water therapy until you can discuss with your surgeon. Please let us know what you learn.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom