Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR YYZ Back To YYC!

31 month update...

Went to see surgeon end of August and he is holding off on surgical intervention until I have my rheumatologist appointment. He wants to tract this pending diagnosis of polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR). Uugh, surgery was going to be in next month !!

Been working at my construction job 40 hours a week. When I get home I rest and elevate for 3 hours.
Doing continued pacing of tasks as per occupational therapist advice. Having continued pain with extended standing 10 mins or more. Walking is a bit of a different story.

When I first stand up I get the limp but it improves after 20 strides or so. Most days my smart watch shows 5-7km's overall distance covered. I've had a single walking stint of 5km's but start to have significant limp. Joint is just so jerky and not happy about that!!

Work mates are ticked off about my return to work and basically bullying tactics. Uugh! Don't need more stress!

Rheumatologist appointment moved up to November 27th so a bit of good news. :flwrysmile:
 
Sorry you are having such a tough time and unhelpful colleagues. Hope you can get some resolution. It is good you are being investigated- I think polymyalgia can respond well to treatment. So hope you get some answers.
 
I am sorry you have to deal with the stress at work in addition to pain. Your worth is not determined by your colleagues opinions and it's not your fault you're dealing with limitations due to physical discomfort. Consider speaking with a supervisor or HR for support if the negative behavior continues. Possibly some accommodations can be made for you temporarily? Please know that we're here for you always.
Wishing you comfort in the upcoming weeks as you await your next appointment.
@2chains
 
35 month update

Have been using tramadol to work, 6-8 pills a day week days. Weekends none as I have been taking it easy and trying to get a sense of the pain levels. Attending PT but less often as I don't feel it is helping. Still have a significant limp as I cannot properly extend my leg when walking. Still not sure if this is related to TKR, no one can say.

Walking on snow rutted ground and icy parking lots have really flared up medial pain levels especially in the pens anserine area.

Visit to local not original surgeon coming and have a new assessment with different PT next week for their thoughts on my leg extension issues and whether it is TKR related.
 
I’m glad to hear you’re going to get a different opinion on your knee. If the extension was better than what you have now prior to your surgery, hopefully this doctor will offer some options for improvement for you. I hope your new doctor is skilled in revisions. Not that this is something you might need, but these doctors are more used to seeing and resolving problems with a knee replacement.
 
Started with another PT. She indicated quad getting weak... as the other PT exercises do not isolate the quad and all other muscles are compensating.

Pre-op appointment for my revision surgery is February 18 2025. Assuming 4-6 weeks from there would be latest surgery date?

I would like to research what to expect from revision recovery and hoping a mod here can direct me best way to search.
tx, 2
 
Hello 2chains,
I hope you found a good match in this PT. I wish you well with your pre-op appointment and hope your surgery is scheduled soon thereafter so you're able to begin healing and get back to all that you love.
Lots of comfort to you as you wait. Thanks for keeping us updated so we're able to support you on your journey.

I will leave you a link to Knee Revision Threads for you to peruse if interested -


We're encouraging members to take their experience here to the next level. We appreciate and value your support as part of this community. For an enhanced experience here, we'd like to encourage you to join the Insiders Club which allows special perks above the basics, making the most of what BoneSmart has to offer. If you're interested, we'd love to have you join us!

Join Insiders Club

As a Basic BoneSmart Member, you ll have access to core features of the forum, but some areas and functions are reserved for upgraded memberships. For an enriched experience including the ability to start your own threads and engage in discussions with members and staff about your specific concerns we invite you to join the Insiders Club. Upgrading not only unlocks full access to all forum features, but also provides valuable services like assistance with locating a surgeon, helpful downloads, and entry to the BoneSmart Library filled with videos and in depth articles to support you on your joint replacement journey. Please join us!

Here is a link to check out ->

Happy Tuesday!
@2chains
 
Thanks for the link for prior revision surgeries!

My pre-op appointment is tuesday Feb 18 for my revision surgery. Not sure what to expect, I've done blood work and EKG but no surgery date as of yet!!

I have been trying out a new PT (30 years experience)prior to my revision surgery and am three weeks in. We have been working on my leg extension./quad strengthening. I have been able to lay it flat when sitting on the ground since 14-16 months post TKR.

My ongoing concern I have had is that when doing leg extension exercises/strengthening I am consistently 5 degrees short of fully straightening my leg. This causes me to limp. After the exercise/strengthening routine I still haven't been able to progress one bit. PT feels that there may be an issue with how my quads were attached after TKR as I should have had some improvement.

My question is has quad attachment after TKR been an issue with others? I haven't heard of this?
 
Your quad muscles should not have been cut during your TKR surgery. Most surgeons don’t do that any longer.
 
I’m sorry you need a revision and I do hope it is successful!
 
Revision isn't the path we hope for, so I'm sorry you're facing another surgery / recovery. Since you've been through this before, hopefully you're going into it even wiser and more prepared. I wish you only the best, 2chains!
@2chains
 
At least your date is soon, and you will get it behind you! Sooner is better than later! Your Bonesmart family will be here for you!
 
I remember you went a distance for your original TKR, is this revision being done closer to home?
 
Been following @Jcx and @Toothfairy in their revision journey!
They're doing great! The success rate for revisions is very encouraging. There are many stories here. I know I linked the revision threads here earlier. Each step forward is a step closer to getting back the life you love.
A fresh start...coming right up. :wink: HappyTuesday, 2chains!
 
Hi, yes the surgery is in my home town! No flight afterward!
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom