Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR YYZ Back To YYC!

@2chains …. I’m glad you have your revision surgery scheduled and that it’s going to be done locally so you don’t have the travel complication this time.

I do want to remind you of BoneSmart’s 2-tier membership program in place since this past January. You are a Basic Member and are welcome to post updates for this knee’s revision surgery here in your recovery thread. But without the Insiders Club membership, you will not be able to view any of our recovery guidelines articles or other material to help you in recovery that are in the BoneSmart Library. Although other members may post in your thread to share their experiences, our staff will not be able to provide the personalized guidance for you that has proven so valuable for you so far. Please take another look at the Insiders Club subscription options and see if there is an option that interests you. BoneSmart is a totally non-profit organization and the small subscription fee associated with Insiders Club membership goes toward keeping our site available for you and your fellow BoneSmarties.
 
Hi @2chains how difficult was it to find a surgeon to see you in Calgary after having surgery in Toronto?
 
Hi @2chains how difficult was it to find a surgeon to see you in Calgary after having surgery in Toronto?
After two years of issues I contacted the Toronto surgical company. They put me in touch with their Calgary surgical group. Because it was a private surgical group the Calgary doctor could order testing but couldn't do the surgery. I was placed on a consult list for a local surgeon.
 
Revision surgery scheduled for this Monday May 26, unfortunately I just developed a cold. Stuffed up and sinus pressure. Will this delay my surgery? tx
 
Hi 2chains,
With surgery less than five days away, you should definitely contact your surgeon's office tomorrow and relay your symptoms to a member of your OS's care team and let them advise. Any active infection can increase the risk of post op complications, including joint infection.
If you develop any chest congestion, or a cough, the anesthesiologist may be concerned about airway complications during general or spinal. They may want to rule out Covid also.
You may still be cleared for surgery, but you definitely need to speak with them soon.

I wish you the best and hope you don't have to reschedule, but if you do, it's for the best.
Please keep us posted.
@2chains
 
Hi 2chains,
With only a weekend between now and your scheduled surgery, I am wondering how you're feeling? Hopefully better. :fingersx: Let us know if you were advised to reschedule. If so, I'm sorry, otherwise I wish you the best on Monday and will look forward to following your revision recovery.:)
@2chains
 
Hi 2chains,
With only a weekend between now and your scheduled surgery, I am wondering how you're feeling? Hopefully better. :fingersx: Let us know if you were advised to reschedule. If so, I'm sorry, otherwise I wish you the best on Monday and will look forward to following your revision recovery.:)
@2chains
Hey there! Thanks for the reply. I missed your reply notification. Went to GP and no issues with breathing and ears, nose and throat are nice and pink looking. I was advised by my GP to take Mucinex and was prescribed doxycyline. The side effects from those are not great...GP advised to check in for surgery monday and if I don't have a fever I should be cleared.
Surgery wants me to contact them day of surgery if I have cold syptoms although my hospital checkin is 6am with surgery at 7.40am and clinic opens at 8am...
 
It's good you met with your GP and you're taking measures to treat the symptoms. With two full days left before surgery, I hope your symptoms dissipate and you're cleared for surgery Monday. Will be watching for updates.
Rest up and I hope you feel better each day. :thumb:
@2chains
 
Revision surgery completed May 26 2025. I was dozzing in and out of consciousness through the surgery, they had a difficult time removing the uncemented implants. They found the plateau on the fibula was off centre other thing I had a bone fracture and had to have an extra plate added on the lateral side.

I am in an immobilizer brace for two weeks, so right now i'm having the easiest rehab possible....no bending allowed!! Not sure how two weeks in this brace will effect my bending at that point but i imagine it should be more painful!

Was discharged next day, sent home with tramadol 50mg and acetaminaphem.

Quad is active and thankful for that. Leg lifts/leg push downs and some front side and back hip extensions. Also was told to walk.

On the ice machine and elevating the smarty way!!!!
 
@2chains …. Congratulations on your surgery now being behind you. On to your recovery!

Especially with the additional problems your joint had, you may now want to consider one of our subscription options to the Insiders Club so that our staff will be free to offer immediate and personalized guidance for you as you begin recovery. As a Basic Member (what you are now), we will welcome updates from you on your existing recovery thread, but support for any concerns or questions is very limited.
 
Thank you all for the well wishes! Easing into icing, elevating and aids to daily living.

The immobilizer brace is making things a little easier until the bending starts in two weeks!
 
Day 8 of my revision recovery

Icing and elevating throughout the day. I purchased an Alexa smart plug and found a routine to switch my Breg Kodiak ice machine on and off. Using 4 500ml bottles as ice and they work to keep it cool through the day.

I saw my GP yesterday and she confirmed as I mentioned from my previous post the surgeon discovered a cracked femur. It was not visible on any of the 10+ x rays they did. With the extra plate and pins I'm definitely going to feel the cold in it now and need to move somewhere warmer!! I have in the last 18 months considered the country of Panama but we will see!

My GP insisted I keep mobilizing with two crutches and gave me two weeks of percocet as the tramadol 50mg just wasn't enough. Thankfully I can sleep 6 hours a night and feel very fortunate for that!

"Walking' with my crutches for 3min at a time throughout the day and doing one small chore as well. Seems to be working out fine! Exercises are minimal until I get the immobilizer off...so quad sets, leg lifts and roll under ankle are it for me.
 
@2chains Glad to hear you are getting some sleep and the medication is working. I'm off on holiday to Spain at the weekend for ten days and hoping the hot weather is agreeable for my knee. I hope the rest of your recovery goes well for you.
Take care jcx
 
Two week update;

Went to get the staples out not too bad overall. Switched out from my leg immobilizer brace to a Ossur Rebound hinged brace. Got instruction on proper 'walking' with two crutches and getting used to the added weight of the hinged brace.
Started the exercises 5 reps 4 times a day and it is all coming back to me now! Doing 2 mins at a time on the peddlar rocking back and forth. Uugh discomfort and the like. Will continue with elevating and icing with the Breg Kodiak and was told by PT to ice 45mins at a time. 50 weeks to go!!
 
Thanks for the update, 2chains!
50 weeks to go!!
Fifty weeks sounds like a lot when you're only two weeks into recovery. Look at it this way…you've already made it through the hardest two, surgery and those initial painful days. Each week will build on the last as you grow in strength and stamina. Keep moving forward, one brave inch at a time. :thumb:
Wishing you a great Thursday and weekend!
 
3 week update!

It has been one week now without the immobilizer brace and now using the hinged brace. Significantly more pain as I started the bending exercises, also having issues staying asleep waking after 5 hrs. I had a reaction to the percacet meds and went back to the GP for hydromore. Taking 1mg before bedtime and tramadol + acetaminophen upon waking and 6hr intervals from there.

When I went to get my stitches out last week the rehab team wanted me to do many more exercises and reps 4 x a day. I will proceed at my own pace letting pain be my guide!

I have not started formal PT as my GP indicated to wait until the 4 week mark before considering it. I am increasing my exercise reps by 10% MAX every week and have worked up to 6 reps holding for 5 seconds @ 3 times a day.
Surgeon indicated that walking is the best rehab and not to stay stationary for more than 30 mins and I will follow his advice. Walking on treadmill at slowest speed now up to 2 mins 3 x a day and walking with crutches at home a few times a day. Using my peddlar 3 x a day for 2 mins and have just completed a full rotation!!

I am pretty close to 80 flexion and had no issue with extension due to the first 2 weeks in the immobilizer brace. Happy with my progress to date!
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom