TKR Yorkimom is ready to go...LTKR

@Yorkimom I think it is because we all hit post at just about the same time. Great minds think alike! I wouldn't do much until after your post op. With your foot going numb I would worry some about circulation. Let your OS know. Keep us posted.
 
@gr82cu2 yes Janet. I am trying to cut down a little but not much. Last week I did take 2 every four hours that first day. Now what I am doing is I take 2 and then anywhere between 4-6 hours I take 1. Then the next time I take 2 and so on alternating each dosage. This seems to be working fine. I'm going to talk to the OS about the pain meds too. I have lots of questions for him that's for sure. Anne
 
Make a list so you don't forget or feel rushed. At my 6 week post op I forgot a bunch of stuff I wanted to ask about. I think when doctors see us with a list of questions they slow down a little. I hope you find out what is causing this additional pain in the back of your knee. :console2:
 
This forum is great! Good luck tomorrow!


LTKR 9/30/2014
 
@gr82cu2, thanks Janet. I have already started making up a list of concerns and questions. I have lots of them!
@Minnie's knees, thanks. Tonight the pain has lessened and I feel pretty good. Keeping my fingers crossed that it continues. Thanks again, Anne
 
Let us know what you find out from the OS.
 
@gr82cu2, @PuppyLove, @tiredwife ,@marmora, @madinana, @Minnie's knees, @new knee in June,@Celle,@Nana moon 27, @kneeper. I haven't posted since Sunday, so I thought I would give you an update. Late Sunday night my knee all of a sudden started feeling better. The back of the knee was a little tender but nothing like it had been. On Monday morning I got up, felt good and went to therapy. I really worked hard and it felt so good to be able to work on the knee. Christine didn't measure my extension, but my flexion was at 82 which is a far cry from 62 two weeks ago. I felt so positive when I left. Last night I was tired, but my knee was fine except for the usual band of tightness, etc.
Today I had my appointment with my OS, but I saw Joe, the PA. He took off the rest of the steri strips and said that everything looked good. He said my extension looked good and he figured by flexion was around 80. I then went on to tell him about my experience at the U of D PT. The first thing he said is that they are very aggressive. I proceeded to tell him all that I did and he just shook his head. He said they are very good with athletes. He said it would be okay if I was 30 but that's not the case. He then said that both he and the doctor don't like it and don't like their patients to go there. I told him I changed and went back to Christine and he said that was a smart move and he was glad I changed. I then talked to him about the pain that I have been having in the back of my knee. He checked it and the whole knee and said that it was fine and he thinks it must have been extra blood. That sometimes there is no where for it to go and it can pool there and is very painful.
He said that I can have a massage when I want but to be prepared that since I am still on the aspirin I would most likely bruise easily. He also said that I can put the vitamin E oil on the incision. So it was a good visit and I see him again in three weeks.
Thanks again for all your encouragement. I was really down on Sunday and just being able to write to all of you helped so much. Anne
 
Hello Anne @Yorkimom

Very happy for you with your OS appointment today and congratulations on the improved Flexion.

The massage sounds like a good idea, but as with your PT, it needs to be done by someone who understands the post TKR knee. Perhaps, Christine can recommend a massage therapist for you.

Remember we are here for you when you are down and also here for you when you are up and celebrate your milestones and achievement too !

That's what the BoneSmart family is for.

Take care,
Cathie
 
So glad to see it went so well for your first check up. Mine is in 2 days, and I am so anxious to get onto the next phase. I hope that the next 3 weeks are even better for you.
 
@Yorkimom Glad your knee is better! Hubby had blood pooled behind the knee cap and it was very painful, his body finally absorbed the blood. I used vitamin E oil on hubby's knee and it helped.
 
@Yorkimom glad your appointment went well and your knee is feeling better. Sounds like a very good report from OS. I have learned from reading several recovery threads that there will be ups and downs so please don't feel bad posting your good and not do good days. The support on this forum is awesome.
 
Thanks @PuppyLove, @marmora, @LeeMarie, @tiredwife and @Minnie's knees. Jackie when he said that the blood pooled in the back of my knee I thought I remembered someone mentioning something similar. Now I remember you telling us about how much it was bothering your hubby. It certainly wasn't any fun, but seems to be over so that is good for both of us.
@LeeMarie it looks like you are not quite two weeks out. I'll have to check out your recovery thread. How are you doing??
@marmora and @Minnie's knees, you are both right. This is such an awesome site to post good times and bad.
Since dinner I have been dizzy and nauseous. I hope I'm not getting anything as I'm looking forward to PT tomorrow. Going to go to bed early. Have a good evening everyone. Anne
 
Anne, I'm so glad you are feeling (your knee anyway) better today and you got a good report with the PA today. It sounds like your flexion is coming along. Yay! I hope you didn't pick up a virus. Yuck! Feel better, friend :)
 
@gr82cu2, @PuppyLove, @tiredwife ,@marmora, @madinana, @Minnie's knees, @new knee in June,@Celle,@Nana moon 27, @kneeper. @LeeMarie. Well all I can say is this knee is the most fickle knee I have ever seen. I was so hyped yesterday and couldn't wait to have PT today since I did so well on Monday. Well last night around 1 the pain started again. The pain was in the back of the knee and on the inside of the knee. The PA didn't say anything about whether or not the blood was still there and after reading what LeeMarie wrote, I was keeping my fingers crossed. Last night it was the same thing. I couldn't put any weight on the leg at all. My hubby got me a gel pack in addition to the ice machine I'm using and I put that in the back of my knee. I was due for my pain meds, and luckily within the hour I started to get some relief. This morning the pain was still there but not bad, but I was swollen and very stiff. The nauseous and dizziness was gone from last night. I hesitantly went to PT and Christine could tell from my face that things weren't right again. I told her what had happened and that I was also getting shooting pain in my kneecap. Just another joy of a knee replacement. She worked on me, I did my exercises and when I left I felt better. This always amazes me that I would feel better after PT. Of course I'm stiff and uncomfortable, but better than when I got there.
Now I wasn't going to ask you guys this as it sounds like I am crazy, but I have been keeping a record of this and it happens after every PT. This did not happen when I had my last surgery. Here goes - when getting home from PT naturally I'm exhausted and I always rest laying down in the recliner. Within a couple of hours I get the chills and body aches. I lay in the recliner with the heating pad on my back, a fleece bed jacket and three fleece blankets and even then I am shivering. I just can't get warm. When I get up to go the bathroom I can feel the body aches. The first time it happened, I thought I was coming down with the flu, etc. Then within three to four hours it completely goes away and I am fine. This happens every single time after PT. I was talking to my son about it last night and he thinks that with my body going through major trauma of the surgery and then the exertion of PT, it's the way my body deals with it. Have any of you heard of such a thing.
I got back from PT today at 2 and the chills are finally leaving me and I'm feeling okay again. I know this sounds outrageous and I wasn't going to mention it, but it baffles me. Any thoughts?????? Anne
 
@Yorkimom I really am puzzled, all I can think of is maybe exercise is making you dehydrated. Dehydration can do some odd things to your body. Or maybe exercising is lowering electrolytes, potassium or something. Maybe try some Gatorade during PT.
 
Hmmmm that is strange! I could/would agree with your son except it didn't happen with your 1st knee. The only time the heavy chills hit me was right after I got home from the hospital. I'm never usually cold, especially in July so it took me by surprise but I chalked it up to the surgery, trauma, meds, pain, and all that goes with this. It has never happened again. I think if you are anemic it can make you chilled and very tired. Maybe you should have that checked? Or, possibly the exercise is somehow affecting your blood pressure? Now, the moving aches and pains I TOTALLY get. It just seems to move around day by day practically. Good days, bad days and in between days and it's very, very, very frustrating. Ask your PT about it next time you see her and see what she says. I hope it stops happening cause that is really weird and kind of frightening for you I'm sure.
 
Back
Top Bottom