TKR Yorkimom is ready to go...LTKR

@bottomshollow thank you a much for the birthday wishes. I had a wonderful day. I woke up feeling wonderful, went to PT, came home took a nap and then my daughter and her family, and two do my good friends came over for dinner. My hubby picked up Italian, my daughter made and each of my friends made me a birthday cake.....one apple and one banana nut. Everything was delicious!
@Celle, I am sending you a big hg and a kiss. I took your advice and sat in the back seat of my friends car and had my leg propped up on a pillow. It was the most relaxing ride in the car I have had since surgery. Thank you so much!!!!!
@gr82cu2, Janet, I don't know why they are not prescribing OxyContin but I remember mentioning it to the nurse in the hospital and she said none do the doctors are prescribing it anymore. I think it has to do with it being so addictive and those that a use it.
@PuppyLove , Chris, here in DE they can only write you a script for Oxycodone and you have to go to the doctor's office to pick it up. They can no longer call it in or fax it. Like everyone has said we are the ones that do everything right and yet we are the ones inconvenienced by those who don't follow the rules.
I hope everyone has a good evening. Anne
 
@PuppyLove, @gr82cu2, @marmora, @lunula thank you for the birthday wishes. I swear someday I will get this forum down. I wrote my previous post and didn't see your posts. Then I saw an alert from @lunula and I see the other birthday wishes. Now for the next seven and a half weeks Joe will tease me about being two years older than him. I am a year older than him, but from now until his birthday, December 1st, I am two years older than him. He calls me his cougar. Thanks again, Anne
 
@Celle, I am sending you a big hg and a kiss. I took your advice and sat in the back seat of my friends car and had my leg propped up on a pillow. It was the most relaxing ride in the car I have had since surgery. Thank you so much!!!!!

You're welcome! I'm glad I could help.
 
@Minnie's knees thanks for the birthday wishes. How are you doing. I know you are only ten days away now, so I'm sure your nerves are working overtime. But you will do great and it will be here and over with before you know it. Anne
 
I couldn't get online yesterday with my IPad, so I couldn't check to see how everyone was. After a wonderful birthday on Wednesday, I woke up yesterday morning feeling wonderful. I woke up, took the cyro cuff off and was about five steps from the bathroom when I realized that I didn't have my walker with me. I had just walked to the bathroom. That's how good I felt. The day before I mentioned to the therapist about using a cane. She looked at how I was walking with one. She said that while it looked pretty good, she wanted me to practice more with exaggerating my bending more and lifting up my knee a little more. She said I wasn't lifting my foot up enough and was afraid that I could have my toe hitting something causing me to fall. So yesterday afternoon once home I kept practicing. Around 7:30 I decided to take my shower and wash my hair. After that I put the clothes in the dryer (that my hubby left in the washer) and then saw the pile of mail, so of course I had to go through that. I decided that I had enough and since Joe was watching the football game, I got into bed to watch TV. After about an hour I got up to go to the bathroom and boom, the pain in the back of my knee just like I had on Monday morning started all over again. I have been very diligent on taking my meds so the pain wasn't as brutal as on Monday, but I still couldn't put any weight on the leg. I had the pain all through the night, but the meds kept it under control. I had PT this morning and as soon as I walked in, Christine, my therapist, came up to me seeing what was wrong. I told her I had the same pain as on Monday and described it to her as she was on vacation on Monday. Her therapy was different than Renee's on Monday. She accessed my knee and said that there was definite swelling in the back so my ROM would be really down. She moved my leg in different ways, had me do gentle stretches and then she massaged the back of my knee and leg. Then I had the ice machine again. After therapy my leg felt better. It is still hurting tonight, but I would put it at maybe a 4, sometimes a 5. It just keeps getting so stiff and that adds to the pain. I can't believe how good the knee can feel one day and the next day it doesn't only go downhill, it races downhill!! I go to the OS on Tuesday for my post op visit and I'm anxious to see what he says about the pain in the back of my knee. Thanks for listening. Anne
 
@Yorkimom I am doing okay. Thank you for asking. I try not to think about my upcoming surgery. I work full time and that keeps me from thinking about it too much. I have most of my post op items ready and have been doing fall cleaning. I am nervous but not scared and more about the recovery than the surgery. Sorry to hear your pain is back. Hope it gets better soon.
 
@Minnie's knees thanks. Doing fall cleaning before surgery is a very good idea. Before my surgery I cleaned out several closets and changed my summer clothes to winter clothes. I am so glad that I did this. While I am sitting here not being able to do anything it is such a good feeling knowing that it is done. Otherwise,a I would just keep thinking of what a I should be doing. The other day my friend came over to take me to therapy. Afterwards once we got home a package from Lands End came in the mail for me. I had ordered a pair of yoga pants and ordered a size up hoping that they would be loose enough to wear over my knee while recuperating. I tried to open the package and couldn't. Carol asked where my scissors were. I told her in the drawer under the Keurig coffee machine. She went I to the kitchen, opened the drawer and when she got them out, she yelled that they were exactly where I said they were. I thought YES, for once a friend went into a drawer/cabinet and it was as neat as a pin. It was a good feeling! Lol
 
Anne, I'm so sorry your pain is back. Hopefully your OS will have an idea what the cause is. I agree, it is frustrating the way the pain suddenly comes and suddenly goes and moves around day to day. Sometimes I think when we have a day when we are feeling better we do more than we realize and then end up paying for it later. But then sometimes, it makes no sense at all, haha! All I know is, I'm tired of trying to figure it out. Be sure and ice the back of your knee and feel better soon!
 
Sounds like Christine is a great therapist- I'm so glad you switched PT and are getting good help!
 
@PuppyLove Thanks Chris. Yes, Christine is a sweetheart and knows what she is doing.....two elements of a good therapist!!
How are you doing???? Did you get your okay for outpatient PT?
 
@Yorkimom I've had a really busy few days. I'm still waiting for insurance approval, so I guess I'll have another week of PT at home. My daughter needed some things for school, so we did some shopping. Even riding around in the motor cart at Walmart was very tiring and my knees were complaining afterwards. All in all, I think I'm doing pretty well.
 
@gr82cu2, @PuppyLove, @tiredwife, @marmora, @madinana, @Minnie's knees, @new knee in June, @Celle, @Nana moon 27. I have had a bad couple of days and it just doesn't seem to be getting any better. This pain in the back of my knee is affecting everythingI try to do...my ROM, how I walk, everything. On Friday my therapist massaged the back of my knee. She didn't do it hard at all and did a bigger area than just the back of the bend where the pain is the worst. This morning after getting out of the shower, I noticed that the back of my knee is now black and blue. I'm hoping it's from the massage, otherwise I don't know if that is a good thing. With the last knee I always did my exercises faithfully twice a day, once a day when I had therapy. This time I'm lucky if I can do them once on the days off PT. It just hurts so darn much. I don't mean to be complaining, but I am really down right now. I just don't know how much more of this I can take when I don't see any improvement. I feel like I'm going backwards. I am so anxious to see the OS on Tuesday. Thanks for listening. My family tries to understand, but they just can't comprehend it like you guys can. I don't know what I would do without you. Thanks you so much for listening. Anne:boohoo:
 
New to this. Had bilateral TNR July 2. Did great, acute rehab for a week, PT 3 times a week for 4 weeks. Iced a lot, very little swelling. Started golfing, walking, driving, pretty much normal activities by 6 weeks. Now 13 weeks out. On no pain meds other than aleve and Tylenol. Knees arch at nigh and ach during day. I ice and rest each day. Most pain is in the patella area. Anyone out there that can talk about 4-6 months after TNR. When will aching start to slow down? 67 yrs old, pretty fit at 210 lbs 6 foot.
 
@Yorkimom Is it puffy swollen back there? Could it be a baker's cyst although they aren't common? Sometimes bruising takes awhile to show up, but I would think by now it would have already bruised. Maybe a call to your OS.
 
@sja4748 you will need to start your own thread on the recovery side in order to get a broader audience and answers to your questions. Welcome to Bonesmart! :SUNsmile:
 
Anne what you describe sounds very similar to what I went through a few weeks ago only I didn't get any bruising. I could and still can feel a lump or fluid filled area on the outer back side of my knee right in the bend area. My OS thought it may be a baker's cyst. My PT said she didn't think so because those are usually in the middle part of the back of the knee and mine is more to the side. It was very, very painful for a couple of weeks but seems to have settled down some now. If you are bruised back there that could very well cause pain. It's just more fluid taking up room that doesn't have it to spare right now. Maybe the massage caused some delicate blood vessels to burst? I sure hope it resolves soon for you. Be sure and show your PT the bruising you have now and ask what she thinks may have caused it?

Don't feel bad for complaining! We've all been there and done that! The feeling of going backwards is the worst. You will get through this. Remember, you aren't even 4 weeks post op yet. If you can do your exercises do them but if you're in too much pain right now then I would hold off and give things a chance to heal more. xox (((hugs)))
 
@Yorkimom I'm so sorry that you're in so much pain. Are you still on blood thinners? That could make bruising worse if the PT massaged a little too hard. I would take it easy til you see the OS- just do enough gentle stretches to keep things moving. I haven't had pain as you described, so I don't have any good advice. I slept six hours last night and woke up in pain from not having taken meds and not moved my muscles. My brain needed the sleep but my knees rebelled. I'll be setting alarms tonight! I totally understand about the family- I have meltdowns occasionally b/c they don't understand the limitation in my mental awareness b/c of the painkillers or my stress from being in pain and having limited movement. Feel free to vent anytime!
 
Thanks @gr82cu2 and @PuppyLove. I didn't even think of the Baker's cyst. This is right in the middle of the back of the knee. And I didn't even think that with taking blood thinners it could easily cause more bruising. I'm sure I had bad days like this after my first surgery but I just can't remember. That's probably a blessing as I probably wouldn't want to go through it again. I really admire both of you.
Chris with you having them both done at the same time. You are doing awesome. You are only two days before me and to think you just went shopping at Walmart with your daughter. I just can't imagine!!!!
And Janet you are still in recovery and you are scheduled in three weeks and two days for your next surgery. You are such a trooper!!!
Thanks again for your kind words, encouragement and friendship. Anne
 
Thanks @tiredwife. Sometimes I don't understand this site. Both Janet and Chris's comments were on the next page. I answered them and then thought maybe I should go back on the previous page, and there you were.
Yes, the whole back of the knee is swollen. I am sitting here in the recliner with the cyro cuff on with my leg propped up with two pillows. I have to keep moving my leg, and especially my foot because my foot keeps going numb. I am scheduled for my post op visit to the OS on Tuesday and I'm hoping I can hold off until then. Thanks again. As I have said before, I don't know what I would do without you guys. Thanks again, Anne
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom