TKR Yoga post TKR?

My wife and I did intermediate yoga prior to my arthritis getting bad and my TK in November. Although it is boring, I am doing "all level" yoga - think slightly more than beginner. It is getting me limber again and strengthening my body after the last several months. I bought a 1 inch yoga mat and also use a pillow under my knee. I will say that my knee feels really weird when I kneel on it, a little pain, and a lot of numbness. Cheers.
 
I began easing back into yoga in December 2023. But I do not do the traditional yoga. I do a program called DDP Yoga. It has all different levels of yoga and stretching. They even have modifications to start in your bed. Now I will warn you it was created by an ex-wrestler but he works with doctors, yoga instructors, physical therapists and more to develop his program. I like it because there is a whole series of chair and standing yoga and I feel great after doing the program. His motto is "make DDP your own and modify".

Hope this helps.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I began easing back into yoga in December 2023. But I do not do the traditional yoga. I do a program called DDP Yoga. It has all different levels of yoga and stretching. They even have modifications to start in your bed. Now I will warn you it was created by an ex-wrestler but he works with doctors, yoga instructors, physical therapists and more to develop his program. I like it because there is a whole series of chair and standing yoga and I feel great after doing the program. His motto is "make DDP your own and modify".

Hope this helps.
MICHIGANGAL,Thank you
 
Hello,
I am 9 weeks post op, and I am having trouble with pain mid shin. There is a divot, if you will, where it hurts. I assume the muscle is swollen above and below the divot. No particular reason or cause. I have not been walking as normal due to weather. I do pedal on a floor eliptical and do stairs inside. Any thoughts?
 
Shin pain is not unusual during this recovery, @teacheri35. Remember that all your muscles and soft tissues are still adapting to the new alignment of your leg.

However, if the painful area is red and hot to the touch, you should have it checked by your doctor.
 
Shin pain is not unusual during this recovery, @teacheri35. Remember that all your muscles and soft tissues are still adapting to the new alignment of your leg.

However, if the painful area is red and hot to the touch, you should have it checked by your doctor.
Thank you, benne68! I pray your newest knee is healing well!
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
A flower for your special day along with best wishes for a great weekend! :flwrysmile:
@teacheri35
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
A flower for your special day along with best wishes for a great weekend! :flwrysmile:
@teacheri35
Thank you for thinking of me! Doing well! Walk 2 miles when weather allows and leading gentle yoga...some poses.
Thanks for the support! Couldn't have done it without you all! ❤️
 
Hello, I am just a bit past 4 months tkr. About 3 weeks ago all was good. Then the 'good' knee decided to act up. Pain was much like a torn meniscus. It has calmed down, but I had to slow down on consistent excercise (mainly walking.) I am back to a mile but not daily.

The tkr knee is mostly ok. I would love to work more on rom (@ 130-135), but not sure when enough is enough. It is also a struggle to kneel. I am not sure if I will cause damage to tkr.

Alas, I am trying to trust in time.

Best regards to all!
 
It is also a struggle to kneel. I am not sure if I will cause damage to tkr.
Check with your surgeon but according to research- a lot more people can kneel safely if they are shown/ encouraged to do so, than think they can post TKR.
My surgeon said I was OK to kneel on my implant ( Oxford fixed Lateral).
I can kneel comfortably using a thin ( about 3/4 inch) knee pad to do pilates/ yoga.I can kneel for very brief periods on a hard wooden floor- say to get something out of a low cupboard.
 
I also can kneel briefly with my knees at less than 90 degrees (so my butt is up in the air). The sensation on my skin is not pleasant!
 
It is also a struggle to kneel.
Yes, it's hard to become accustomed to the sensation of kneeling on an implant. For me, it required time and a lot of patience to progress through different stages of kneeling.

After my first TKR, my physical therapist suggested I use the following approach:
- Start by kneeling on your bed. Although it will feel awkward, at 4 months post-op, you won't hurt anything.
- Once you are ready to move to the floor, put a thick pillow under your knees. Use that until you acclimate to the sensations.
- Next, switch to a thinner pillow or a folded blanket until you feel you are ready to kneel on the floor.

It took me almost six months after my first TKR to get to the point I could kneel on my yoga mat. I'm at about 12 weeks post my second TKR, and am still kneeling on a thick pillow.

I know it will never feel like kneeling on natural knees, but I've been able to get on the floor well enough to get back to my yoga practice.
 
Agree with @benne68 about working gradually from kneeling on the bed, and then progressing via a pillow.
I really wanted to kneel because I have lumbar arthritis and spinal stenosis. I needed to kneel to do pilates for my back.
 
Hi @teacheri35 ! You had you tkr surgery a week before me! I am also a teacher, but I retired in June 2022. I give you a lot of credit! I can’t imagine having to go back to work while still recovering from this surgery!

I think your ROM is amazing! I am not quite there yet, but working on it. My doctor recommended the child’s pose from yoga to help with my flex. I gingerly kneel on a pillow on a carpeted floor to do this. My knee feels really weird, but no real pain. Watching me do this pose is pretty funny as my butt is way up in the air! :rotfl: I am hoping to get my butt closer to my legs, but I have never been a flexible person prior to surgery.
 
Hi @teacheri35 ! You had you tkr surgery a week before me! I am also a teacher, but I retired in June 2022. I give you a lot of credit! I can’t imagine having to go back to work while still recovering from this surgery!

I think your ROM is amazing! I am not quite there yet, but working on it. My doctor recommended the child’s pose from yoga to help with my flex. I gingerly kneel on a pillow on a carpeted floor to do this. My knee feels really weird, but no real pain. Watching me do this pose is pretty funny as my butt is way up in the air! :rotfl: I am hoping to get my butt closer to my legs, but I have never been a flexible person prior to surgery.
I am retiring in May. I lead yoga and my bottom is in the air, too. Lol
 
Day 10. Quads are firing better. Swelling still restricting bending. I am going to continue the gentle approach. I did a shallow leg epsom salt soak with hot water below the incision. My legs enjoyed the soak. I still struggle with elevation methods, so the nights are rough around 3am. The reinforcement found here is a comfort. Thank you for firming my resolve.
Omg. I feel you about the 3am time. I often wake multiple times a night and I don't think I've missed seeing 3am on the clock a single night since surgery. I'm 16 days out and sleep is a challenge. I hear so many folks say it gets better, so I'm doing my best to stay optimistic. The sleep deprivation is wicked, though. You're not alone for sure. Hang in there!
 
Day 10. Quads are firing better. Swelling still restricting bending. I am going to continue the gentle approach. I did a shallow leg epsom salt soak with hot water below the incision. My legs enjoyed the soak. I still struggle with elevation methods, so the nights are rough around 3am. The reinforcement found here is a comfort. Thank you for firming my resolve.
Omg. I feel you about the 3am time. I often wake multiple times a night and I don't think I've missed seeing 3am on the clock a single night since surgery. I'm 16 days out and sleep is a challenge. I hear so many folks say it gets better, so I'm doing my best to stay optimistic. The sleep deprivation is wicked, though. You're not alone for sure. Hang in there!
Eehamm, it really does!! By week 8 things just shift and by week 16 really good. Just follow the Bone Smart protocol. I will say I did need pain meds at night for 4 weeks. Then I just used Tylenol and Benadryl. Now I use homeopathic pain anti spasm as need and Benadryl on occasion.
 
Hello, just giving an update on my "good" knee. After a strong recovery through month 3, my non surgery knee became very painful. I took a break from extended walking (1-2 miles), continued yoga twice weekly, took a week off, and am now back to extended walking twice to three times a week. My goal is to get to extended walking on non yoga days or 5 days a week. TKR still catches. The lateral side when flexed and hip is opened wide. This is weird and painful, but if I go slow I can usually stop it. I see the surgeon on April 29th. I surely appreciate the support and encourage everyone I meet considering joint replacement to find Bone Smart! Thank you!
 
Hi @teacheri35 --I'm a few days behind you and I too have had issues with my alleged better knee as I increase the amount of exercise I'm doing. It's such a balancing act--wanting to increase things but having to watch it and not overdo on the other side. My operated knee still has pain and stiffness but I'm counting on the" tincture of time" to take care of that. :) And I agree with you--I can't imagine how hard it would have been to get through this without the reassurance so freely and kindly given on this website.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom