Guest viewing is limited

TKR Yoga post TKR?

Found a link to my insufferable swelling and pain. My chiropractor discovered my atlas was off level by 1 inch. Not a complete 'cure', but I definitely am experiencing much less pain and improving flexion. Walking is much smoother and more fluid. Sure loosened up my gut. Bone Smart has given me control over my rehab. Thank you and bless you all.
 
I have had two great recoveries, with no formal PT. It doesn't make sense to stress a wound that is healing. I just went about daily activities at first, then did my own thing at the gym. I did go a bit far sometimes with my first. I just took a day off, then modified as I went forward.
You will get there and remember recovery is not linear. Sometimes you progress quickly and then seem to stall. You will be fine, doing activities by yourself!
 
Is there any way you can get a different therapist? I feel like I was helped tremendously by my therapists on the first knee especially after I was able to get into the warm pool! But none of the therapists I saw ever felt the need to force my knee to do anything. In fact yesterday my therapist was telling me on the heel glide to just relax my leg and stop when it became uncomfortable. I feel so fortunate because I have my initial two months of PT set up with the two therapists that I trust the most. So if possible I would try and shop around for someone who listens to you. And also, remember you are in control. If they don’t listen get louder and be as firm as it takes.
 
Bone Smart has given me control over my rehab
Great news! Let your body be your guide. Good to read that you've obtained some pain relief.
Please continue to update so we are able to follow your journey. Thanks for joining us, teacher!
@teacheri35
 
Today, unforced prone heel slides of 85. Seated flexion of 90. Extension of 0 to -2. After a scrub, I laid down to rest and woke up 2.5 hours later. God bless the nap!
 
So, elevation is still a comfort struggle. My extension is good and it is hard to prop and not have pressure on the back of the knee. What has been others experience with the wedge sold on this site? What size is best?
 
Last edited:
So, elevation is still a comfort struggle. My extension is good and it is hard to prop and not have pressure on the back of the knee. What has been others experience with the wedge sold on this site? What size is best?
I bought the Lounge Doctor after getting fed up with constantly restacking four plump pillows!

Since I'm short (5'1") I bought the Small. It is actually too small for me so I needed to use it with a single pillow perched on it.

Once I did that, I found it incredibly easy to get totally comfortable hip and knee flexion with the back of my knee freely floating in the air. With both legs on it, it was easy to doze off.
 
Saw my surgeon for 2 week post op visit. Flexion is 95 degrees. Extension is -2. Right on track despite no formal pt after week one. I am going to return to pt, but my mission is to teach the therapist about gentle, no pain pt. Once a teacher, always a teacher. Thank you for being that positive voice of reason.
 
Last edited:
I am going to return to pt, but my mission is to teach the therapist about gentle, no pain pt.
Nice mission, I hope you're successful. Glad you're doing well and hope you have a lovely weekend, teacher!
@teacheri35
 
Farm girl rehab at day 17. We picked dog wastes from the yard, tore down the trampoline, watered one tree, cut asparagus for seed, and grandkids are spreading grass clippings. I supervised as I walked in the fresh air. Went 9 hours without pain meds last night. I have 3rd pt visit after a week off. I will educate about pt without agony.
 
You are doing so well for only 17 days out! Who needs PT with all you are already doing?
 
I am going to do pt to educate the therapist. If I can help her understand pt should help not harm, it is a win. If not, maybe some one else will hear me and be helped. I will be living proof you can gain without pain. More people will hear about BoneSmart. I can bless others as I have been blessed.
 
Well pt today was a win. Measured at home flexion of 108 on day 19. During therapy, the therapist was receptive when I said enough. We worked well together. I think my message to all is the patient drives the train. You need to work to heal first and train after. Be patient with those trying to help you. Teach them about Bone Smart. The world is better when we give grace to each other.
 
Last edited:
Well pt today was a win. Measured at home flexion of 108 on day 19. During therapy, the therapist was receptive when I said enough. We worked well together. I think my message to all is the patient drives the train. You need to work to heal first and train after. Be patient with those trying to help you. Teach them about Bone Smart. The world is better when we give grace to each other.
A wonderful outcome!
I'd add to your wise words: "...and the knee drives the patient" if that makes sense.
 
TKR 3 weeks today! Happy Thanksgiving! Turkey crawled 0.63 miles in about 10 minutes. Pedaled on the floor elliptical for 30 minutes. Flexion progressing, but stubborn. 90 is easy, 100 doable in seated position. The prone heel slides are barely tolerable. Supine leg bends are worse. Can do 17 stairs up and down with half normal and half one footed. I do this 2 to 3 times a day. In the last 17 hours I took 1 oxycodone (5/325) and about 4 (500mg) tylenol. Tomorrow is 4th pt session.
 
Walked a bit further today after pt yesterday. Did 1.08 miles. Quad knot a struggle still and limiting flexion. Lounge doctor wedge arrived. My that is high! Slept with it part of the night last night.
 
I loved my LD and even used it when I broke my ankle. That and ice were my constant companions for the first few months after my TKR.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom