Guest viewing is limited

TKR x2 Knitmama's Recovery Journey

Recovering at home, alone, can be a lonely thing. My "daughter-in-love" phoned me long distance every two days, and my best friend also called every couple of days.

I'm lucky, because I am an introvert, and I can only do with so much interaction with people, so being alone is not too much of a problem.

What I struggled with was being unable to knit, as I was on my back for so long, legs elevated, knee either iced or being heated. It took a long time to be able to sit up with my feet down, so I could knit normally. I'm not ready to tackle sewing yet.

I have great respect and also empathy for those who feel they have to return to work sooner than they probably should. Modern life is not kind to people who are healing from anything. If you plan to go back sooner than you might like, listen to the recommendations of people here to do things as slowly as possible.

I, myself, do not work, but even doing things around the house can be totally exhausting.

Take care of yourself and best wishes.
 
Getting out in the sunshine and hearing the birds sing is the best tonic. I managed a walk to our local stream through a small wooded area on Monday and it really lifted my spirits. Being on your own at home all day must be tough. I did a couple of free online courses and played stupid games on the ipad to keep myself occupied. I'm not someone who usually spends a lot of time at home or watches much TV so knew I'd go stir crazy if not careful. Take it easy when you return to work. You don't want to put yourself back and need even more time off. Take care :console2:
 
Today marks 6 weeks since my left TKR and 5 weeks since the right. Tomorrow will be my last visit with home health PT. I have to say I will be sad to see her go. She has been wonderful. She encourages proper icing and elevation. We have done gentle stretching, nothing painful. She never pushes me till it hurts. My ROM is very good. I have been at 0 extension for three weeks now. Flex both knees are 105-110. I do have stiffness and swelling. Some days more than others. But like this forum, she reminds me this is a marathon and I will continue to improve up to and beyond a year. She was perfect for my competitive, impatient self! Hoping that my out patient will follow the same philosophy.
 
First photo is left knee six weeks post op. Second is right knee five weeks post op.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] x2  Knitmama's Recovery Journey
    3F4DACE9-4138-41FA-AA57-F6A8F88BB509.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 217
  • [Bonesmart.org] x2  Knitmama's Recovery Journey
    3EFA5AB0-55F7-4DF8-9ED8-40E1781CAFD0.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 214
It may not be ideal but some of us go back to work pretty quickly. I spent a month completely off work and after my 1 month checkup i was told i could start back part time. The fifth week i did about 10 hours divided up into a couple of hours at a pop. I run my own business and i could set my own schedule. I tried to elevate and ice as much as possible while at the desk and took a late afternoon nap after I finished. By 6 weeks i was at 15 hours and full time by 9 weeks. I was fine. I could have taken more time off but when you are self employed, you don't get paid unless you work. The one thing I didn't expect was how much it would hurt just to sit with the knee down under the desk. I assumed that since it didn't hurt too badly to sit before surgery that it wouldn't be that bad after either. Wrong! Bit by bit I could sit longer but for a long time, the only halfway comfortable position was elevated.
 
Definitely feel your pain. I went back to office to work after 6 weeks and am doing 3 days in the office and two working from home, I thought I would be ready to work 40 hour Weeks in the office by now but I'm not.
 
Was able to sleep two hours in bed, got up to go to the bathroom, tried the bed again and laid there for 45 minutes. Decided since sleep was eluding me to get up and ice. The ice machine has been a true lifesaver. It has really helped me manage my pain. If I could just figure out how to keep the tube on the left leg from touching my shin! My left leg bruised horribly with surgery and still at five weeks in, if anything touches that shin it is so painful. Putting on my compression stockings is a real joy as well.

Is anyone else having trouble with the "loneliness" of rehab? I find that being home alone day after day is beginning to get to me. I have friends that drop by for a few minutes, but the majority of the day it is me and the dogs. This is a new sensation for me. I typically do not have issues with being home...I love to read, knit, sew, cook etc. I knew that during this time off sewing and cooking would be at a minimum if at all, but I foolishly thought I would work through several books and knit. It has just been the past few days that I could concentrate long enough to read more than a page or two at a time. I have finished a pair of plain jane socks and watched copious amounts of TV, but oh my, the four walls are closing in!

Lack of sleep is hitting me too I was fine until this week (4 weeks post OP) really struggling now seem to get off OK but the wake at between 3-4 AM and unable to get back off I'm back at work full time so getting in shattered on the evening.

I was also home alone tried reading but found my concentration drifting settled down to binging on Netflix in the end.
 
Hoping that my out patient will follow the same philosophy.
There is no need to hope. YOU take control of your PT, not the therapist. It's your knee and you are responsible for your own recovery, swelling, pain and inflammation. Always remember that the only person who you have to please is you and your knee!
 
Met my PT. Very good experience. Our philosophy matches and I believe it will be a good working relationship. He was pleased with my progress thus far, told me as well as I was moving it was hard to believe I had both knees done in February. I told him that I am experiencing a pain behind my left knee when I move in certain ways. His explanation is that where the hamstring and calf muscles join it is tight. He will be doing massage on that area to help relieve the tension. I had the opportunity to get on an exercise bike and rock back and forth. I was able to do full rotations after my knees warmed up. Will see him again on Wednesday, then see the doctor for follow up on Thursday. Hopefully released to go back to work at that time.
 
Met my PT. Very good experience. Our philosophy matches and I believe it will be a good working relationship.
What a blessing! Having good, gentle PT is the key to a good recovery.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom