Revision TKR Would like advice please, I think knee has moved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck @busylizzie

We will all be waiting with bated breath!!!! Please, I hope all goes well for you and you finally get some answers. All the very best x

Love Nana moon 27 xxx

Goood luck lasssssss if they dont treat you right tell them you have a friend with v twitchy foot oooooooooops another posterior nudged

Legin THR Sep 14

Sorry to say not very good news.

He agrees with the CT scan result suggesting rotation of the tibia. Also thinks femoral and tibial components could be internally rotated giving the overall external rotation of tibia. He examined my patella in great detail and it is maltracking. He could not explain what is happening to my foot/ ankle and my leg movement. As a fixed hinge this should not happen. I asked why I had to have a fixed hinge hinge and not a rotating one as with a rotating one the there would be some adjustment for the mal rotation. It is to do with the need to use titanium for my allergies.

According to him the options I have are
  • Full revision of knee which he does not recommend as it will be a very difficult surgery
  • Correct the patella tracking, still major surgery
  • Kill the pain and live with it
He has no suggestions for the foot/ankle pain. Even if I go ahead and have the tracking corrected I won't necessarily get resolution of the rest of the problems.

I have had lots of tears. I am now waiting for the outcome of yesterday's appointment in writing. He is replying to a letter from Prof Kay. I am seeing my GP next Monday to discuss the findings.

I am thinking of maybe another opinion. I can't continue as I am now. I must find a way forward. I want to walk. I have a lot to ponder.

That is not a good outcome and my thoughts are with you if it was me I would do some research find best in field in your area and get a second opinion because whole idea of knee op is fora better quality of life

20/01/2015

I'm sorry the news you received doesn't seem to offer good options. I'm going to tag @Josephine so she can comment. Maybe she will have some ideas for you. I can only imagine how difficult this must be for you.

Busylizzie,
Sad to hear your report from the OS, wish you had received better news. Sending positive thoughts. :console2:

Lizzie, I couldn't see who it was you saw. Can you provide a name and hospital, please? There must be someone else who has more compassion and courage than this. I'll do my very best to find him for you.

@Josephine it was Peter James at Nottingham I saw yesterday. He had compassion, but he wasn't interested in any of the additional information that I had taken. I did get him to look at the CT scan result which I don't think he had seen before. He did have some of my records from Wrightington. He did 3 skyline xrays of my knee at 30, 60 and 90 degrees to view how my patella tracked and also a very thorough, very painful examination of it. It is definitely maltracking now.

I am yet to find anyone who can understand what happened over Christmas when my knee originally went back into alignment and subsequent movement in and out of alignment. They all want to blame it on my hips but the CT scan shows that they are fine. Everyone says that with a fixed hinge there shouldn't be any movement but I am sure there is.

I have been looking today for another opinion as I now have 2 conflicting ones about the CT scan results. Do you know anything about Mr Richard Spencer Jones at Oswerstry? I struggled going to Nottingham and wonder if I could make it to Stanmore to see anyone there.

To me, the only way I think that I can get any resolution of the problems is to have a full revision again. Having a fixed hinge knee is very unforgiving to any mis alignment. I guess that I am stuck with a fixed hinge now and there is no going back to one that has some rotation. My fear is now, that if I go ahead and have a new knee, is how to ensure this mal rotation does not happen again.

(((buzylizzie)))

I am really down tonight. My leg is hurting from my thigh downwards and I can't get to sleep. I have physio tomorrow afternoon. I think she will have to leave my knee alone and work on my foot again. My knee feels raw inside, just like the early days after the op. I guess it is irritated from not tracking correctly. I seem to be going downhill at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads