THR Wingy THR recovery progress

The hamstring pain is very pronounced in the morning when I am first up. It gets better as the day goes on, but it sometimes reappears. I am doing two stretches for it; don't know if they help or not.
 
What stretches are you doing and when do you do them during the day? Hamstring stretches should help with that tightness in the morning.
 
I do a stretch with a strap around my foot and pull back. I also place both hands on the wall with affected leg behind the good leg and lean in on affected leg- best stretch for me in terms of hamstrings.
 
Those are both excellent hamstring stretches for after a hip replacement. So you are on the right track. It will be good to keep up with them and the tightness should lessen with some time. But don’t be surprised if it takes a while. Your muscles are not used to being in this new alignment and they will fight you a little to remain as they were before surgery.
 
Between weeks 9 and 10 post op I stopped having discomfort. I no longer have foot, shin, knee or thigh pain. It all just stopped. One day I was icing and taking ibuprofen and the next all of that was in the past.
I am walking without a cane now too. I can only attribute this healing to the process of time. I have done nothing new.
I think the fact that I have not pushed myself at all to heal faster may have alot to do with my good news.
I am able to garden using a shovel, rake and spade with no discomfort. I can squat down to pull weeds. I can lift heavy bags of potting soil and move heavy pots. I time myself though and don't let myself do any of this for long at any one time. Instead, I work in short spurts throughout the day.

The other day I used the elliptical machine for a very short amount of time, and I experienced no discomfort. I will continue to increase my time on it steadily but slowly.

I am still waiting to be able to get down and up from the floor, but I am waiting a week or so more to do that. I am certain I could do that now, but my intuition tells me to wait.

This is the slowest I have ever approached anything in my life. I was always one to jump in and try to get stuff done fast. I am finding the slow approach has affected many areas of my life in postive ways.
I don't want to be in a hurry every again.
 
I absolutely loved your update and thanks so much for sharing. I want to take your approach too and so far I have. Like you it amazes me how all of a sudden I can do something I couldn't do the day before. Early days for me but your update has encouraged me to just keep on doing nothing but walking and attempting to move naturally in any situation, with care and caution.
 
Hi wingy,
It sounds like you're doing really well. Thankfully you've made great progress without pushing yourself. Please be careful though because it is easy enough to overdo it at only three months post op. Even though you feel so much better, as most do by the time they reach the three month mark, you can still overdo it. Your hip is still healing and the muscles around it may not be fully recovered yet. You don't want to risk straining the hip joint and surrounding muscles, or increase the risk of dislocation, or hurting yourself. Please be cautious with the heavy lifting and get assistance or use a cart / wagon to transport planting soil and heavy pots for awhile longer, I'd hate to see you sidelined after all of the wonderful progress you've made. Getting down on the floor can still be tricky, especially as we age. Kneeling, twisting or getting up from the floor can place stress in the area that is healing and increase the risk of falling or dislocation. Your intuition is serving you well in your decision to wait on this. It will come.

This is the slowest I have ever approached anything in my life. I was always one to jump in and try to get stuff done fast. I am finding the slow approach has affected many areas of my life in postive ways.
I don't want to be in a hurry every again
I love this!
Take more time to enjoy, make better decisions, form deeper connections, experience
LESS STRESS. :wink:

You're doing great! Thanks for taking the time to share. I hope you have a lovely week and a Happy Easter if you celebrate. :)
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary, wingy!
Cheers to a smooth recovery.
Wishing you continued strength, healing and confidence as you keep moving ahead! :walking:
@wingy
 
Hi @wingy. I was away for three weeks and just saw your last (april 19) update. So glad to read that the pain is gone and you are getting back to living your life.

Have you tried getting down on the floor yet? How did it go? Let us know!
 
Wings,
Enjoyed your post about being able to do more now especially the gardening & taking your time & being patient with your recovery. I’ll echo what Layla said about lifting anything too heavy. I was advised nothing over 40lbs.
Every time I leave my house to go somewhere my partner will say “ be careful.” My replay is “careful is my middle name!”
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom