THR Wide Awake - Mailman Chases Dogs Away

@Eman85 what day are you in?
To clarify-
I too need to be comfortable with rest, ice, and elevation using lounge doctor. But taking the minimal dose of pain killer meds is a higher priority so I'm willing to risk greater pain in the pursuit of dialing that in.
 
@Eman85 what day are you in?
Hi Mailman, Happy Friday!
Answering for, Eman, because I see he's away from the forum currently.

These are his surgery dates:
Right THR November 18, 2019
Left THR February 13, 2018
Assuming that's what you were asking?

We all have a signature (surgery dates) at the bottom of each of our posts. If you're unable to see this on your device, turning it sideways to landscape may reveal more.
Hope this helps. Have a great day!
 
Wow @dnordo220 that is wonderful. Sounds like you have just made a big leap (figuratively speaking of course)

I did get a very specific set of directions for pain relief. I am not following them exactly. I consider them to be suggestions, even where a med does not include 'as needed'.

To date I have not had a problem with run away pain. I have been consistent with the level I chose to start with which has been enough until a couple of days ago so I increased. Still way less than suggested. So far so good. This morning I am testing the waters by delaying jumping in to see what happens. If I can comfortably reduce meds while increasing walking I know I am on the right track (for me).

I feel better and stronger every day but really not in any hurry to get anywhere other than where I am. Just really thankful I'm not where I used to be before the THR.
 
Well @Eman85 that's good to know. You speak clearly as if you have only recently been through this. Your perspective has certainly been valuable to me. Much appreciated.
 
Eman's perspective has been valuable here throughout the years. Let him share what I like to refer to as Eman's Shopping Cart Therapy. It's a great idea for early THR recovery.
@Mailman
 
You mean using a shopping cart as a fast walker when grocery shopping?
 
No. I believe he went to a big box store, mainly to practice proper gait and form. Here is a description he recently posted on a current members thread -

Eman said -
"My method for learning how to walk properly post-op was with a shopping cart. There is little flat ground near me so the store was the best place plus it was climate controlled. A shopping cart is a great aid, and you can walk slow and deliberate, not drawing attention to yourself. You can lean on it in an aisle when you need a break and use it all of the way back to the car."

He may have other pointers to elaborate on. It's a great idea!
@Mailman
 
Bruising - I have to think that swelling, the healing process, and some alteration in blood pressure in the surgery area results in various capillaries here and there being broken. I can't think of another explanation as long as there is no new trauma. I had very little bruising at all but I did have some swoled up leg days.

"There is no real answer to this question as it's different for every person. We don't mandate a specific number of steps or distance. You have to listen to your body's limits all while working to ensure that you are progressing over time."
This is pretty typical orthopedic dr talk I think. They aren't going to take much responsibility for our healing process. What they are going to do is set boundaries and expectations, & presumably you're inside of them. You might get a better reading from a very good PT. I set my own limits for a while & used a fitness watch to keep track.
 
You mean using a shopping cart as a fast walker when grocery shopping?
It's all about slow, not fast. Layla copied one of my posts about my way of practicing walking. What I really liked about it was I was able to walk slow and no one had any idea I was doing PT walking. With the cart I just blended in and people walk slowly when they shop so I just fit in. The cart was protection and support and unlike standing on the side of the road resting I could just lean on the cart in any aisle and rest.
 
Ah, yes! Great idea. In the last few months before surgery when I could barely walk except by putting so much weight on a cane opposite the bad hip my shoulder would ache, and wasn't about to buy a walker, I looked forward to ditching the cane into the shopping cart at the grocery store. So much better.

But now after the THR I hadn't thought about using the cart post op to develop proper gait and remove any leftover hint of a limp until @Layla mentioned your practice @Eman85 .
 
@nasruddin wrote:
" I set my own limits for a while & used a fitness watch to keep track."

I'm on day 11. Since yesterday I'm decreasing pain meds measured as a percentage of what was prescribed (Tylenol and Aleve) and increasing how far I walk each day measured using a pedometer app on my phone.

Pain is sporadic and the level has been moderate. It feels like a dull muscle ache when it comes and can ramp up like a cramp unless alleviated by either ice, changing position if remaining prone, or standing up and walking. Last night I woke and took one Tylenol but by the end of today did not exceed the total amount I usually take each day.

I know the suggested protocol is to stick to the prescribed pain killer regimen but I'm not willing to do that. We are all different. I have a high pain threshold and clearly a standard pain med prescription designed universally is going to be designed for low threshold, to be on the safe side. From day 1 I already cut suggested regimen in half with no problem. No runaway pain. So it makes sense to proceed this way, balancing medication with exercise (walking only).

I also know the recovery journey is not at all a straight line. But I have plenty of headroom with both the pain med dose and the amount of activity. Yesterday I logged 0.62 miles and today 1.10, but will tone it down if this much walking requires I wake again tonight.

Wondering what the more experienced here think of this approach.
 
I also know the recovery journey is not at all a straight line.
Indeed - more like this:
[Bonesmart.org] Wide Awake - Mailman Chases Dogs Away

Your approach to gradually building up your walking sounds great. Slow and steady will get you there!
 
Mailman a good walking tool for exercising leg strength and endurance along with a good balanced walking gate is to get the Rollator Walker. 4 wheels, a seat, brakes and height adjustable. No lifting the walker at all. You can go at your own pace without all the stop and go issues with those standard lift and go walker,
 
Last edited by a moderator:
But now after the THR I hadn't thought about using the cart post op to develop proper gait and remove any leftover hint of a limp
Here’s a tip that helped me and countless others-
Try heel-toe walking when you're limping. You can obviously do this if you're practicing with a shopping cart also.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe. It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

Here is a visual -
[Bonesmart.org] Wide Awake - Mailman Chases Dogs Away

Have a great day and week, Mailman!
 
I noticed when I MARCH around the house, I walk better without assistance. It looks funny, but it feels better. lol.

I’m still using the cane outside.

This is about the time I got cocky last year and started acting like I was healed. Luckily this hip is taking a little longer and I still have soreness to remind me, but I can already move around easily in and I need to check myself and remind myself that the inside has not had enough time to heal and that joint is not yet protected.
 
@dnordo220 I get that. Feel pretty much the same.

Outside yesterday I carried the cane to signal caution to dogs and others but didn't use it much at all to take any of my weight off the operative leg.

Your warning has been a consistent reminder to not do anything stupid just because I am making progress. I just want to walk, walk and walk some more each day. But more than that I want to get off meds completely as soon as possible. Masking the pain gives me a false sense of security about how healed I actually am.

Do you think that being medicated contributed to engaging in whatever activity led you to dislocate?
 
@Mailman I was not taking any medication at all when it dislocated.

I think sleeping on my side with the pillow contributed to it. I can’t sleep on my back, I’m awake anll night. Also I know that being very active makes your insides more flexible. My insides needed more time than my outside.

It’s been a couple days now without pain meds now.
You get to the point where you feel “normal” but for me it’s too soon.
Im reminding myself to follow the calendar, I am not ready.
 
Last edited:

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom