THR Wide Awake - Mailman Chases Dogs Away

Music man,
All my best on your next hip replacement. When I had ankle surgery 5 years ago everyone told me same..."stay ahead of pain" I have to say I experienced little to no pain after or even before the surgery when I had broken the ankle in 3 places & it was "unstable,"
I took the oxy day one & maybe day 2, after that no more, made me nauseous & foggy.
Same with my hip, they gave me oxy & took first night I came home & that was it. Extra strength Tylenol was my drug of choice.
I think Mailman has brought us to a new level of thinking about how we each approach our surgeries.
I feel very enlightened. Hopefully no more surgeries for me!
 
6 weeks update

Happy to report that at 6 weeks I have completed short term recovery. How do I know? I don't have much reason to think about the new left hip all the time anymore so I don't and when I do, I must pause for a split second and ask myself... "Now which side was that on?" That tells me I'm now in long term recovery for the rest of the year. To me long term recovery means still no running, don't do anything stupid, don't risk the possibility of a fall, which I see as the biggest risk at my age (75).

Now, for the first time in years, while walking, gait is balanced and I'm able to optimize a full stride with two perfectly functional joints, neither of which requires any compensation. So I keep practicing moving efficiently. Yesterday was a bit of a stretch but I did log 4.5 miles without any significant ill effects today.
 
You're doing well, Mailman. Keep up the good work.
Enjoy the weekend! :) :-) (:
@Mailman
 
Why? You talking to the doctors can also be distracting. I was sedated one time when I had my wisdom teeth removed. The drugs and gas, it was and interesting experience, the sounds of cracking teeth as they are yanked out of my cranium. That was 40+ years ago and at that time I had an epiphany. Knock me out next time. I don't want to hear bones being sawed like at the butcher. More power to you!!! Enjoy the recovery, walk, walk, walk. That is the best PT!!!
 
the sounds of cracking teeth as they are yanked out of my cranium. That was 40+ years ago and at that time I had an epiphany. Knock me out next time. I don't want to hear bones being sawed like at the butcher.
Thought provoking descriptions :wink: :heehee:
 
@skcoj1 said: " Knock me out next time. I don't want to hear bones being sawed like at the butcher."

To me there is nothing humorous about this.

Whether you are conscious or unconscious during a THR, your surgeon is working to vastly improve your quality of life, not provide you with a lamb chop for dinner.

That said, given that the patient is often just a piece of meat that most people agree needs to be unconscious to make the whole procedure easier for everyone, there is going to unfortunately be some truth to the butcher analogy.

I think that some people joke about surgery due to fear and that's a natural response of self preservation.

But there is a better way, available to a few, in which the patient triumphs over that fear and is an active participant in a trusting, intimate and more meaningful relationship with surgeon and staff, and which can quite readily lead to a better outcome, especially in post op.
 
But there is a better way, available to a few, in which the patient triumphs over that fear and is an active participant in a trusting, intimate and more meaningful relationship with surgeon and staff, and which can quite readily lead to a better outcome, especially in post op.
I'm happy to hear that you're doing so well Mailman!! It appears that you took from "Bonesmart", some of the smarter advice and married that with what you thought best for you. This of course, is what all of us should be doing with information of any sort, from any source, good, bad, or otherwise. Not learning enough to be involved in the thought processes of any professional that is providing a service, is an irresponsible abrogation of personal due diligence. That's because professionals, including scientists and physicians, differ on the specifics and details of most every topic, with many variables and personal motivations clouding the decisions and conclusions.

Obviously, your decision to be an interested observer/participant in your surgery was one not taken lightly. But it also made you a part of the process, as opposed to being an unconscious recipient of the process. I would posit that you are strong willed and tenacious and are willing to take the fight to whatever or whomever may confront you. At one time not too long ago, those rugged individualism traits would have been unequivocally and unarguably positive ones. Fortunately to many like myself, they still are.

While I won't be joining you in being a viewer of my next THR on Sept. 9, I salute and commend your resolve and determination in doing what you deemed to be appropriate and necessary. Carry on, keeping on....
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Lefty! :wave:
I hope you're doing well, enjoying the Summer and I'm wishing you a great week!
@Mailman
 
Thx Layla. Coming up on 3 months left side September 12 (and 11 months rightside September 18). So here are my thoughts on short and long(er) term recovery. I would like to hear from people who are further along than I. Compare notes so to speak

After quick short term 3 week recoveries each side, 'short term' being self-defined as no longer thinking about surgery throughout the day and instead getting back for the most part to 'normal' life, at this point it still seems like I still have a ways to go before experiencing full long term recovery. Perhaps by Spring? Which is not what I expected. I was thinking that since the short term recovery was so quick, so too would be the long term (complete?) recovery. But then again of course I had no idea how improved my life could become.

In fact it's like each week in real time I'm traveling backwards in time to the body I once had many months earlier. So for a 75 y.o. man, at this point I've regained about 15 years, an effective age of 60, with the possibility it seems, if I continue to put the effort out towards full rehabilitation, reaching an effective age of 50, and wouldn't that just be grand.
 
I can't speak to your journey milestones as mine were knees!

But I understand what you mean. In 2017 I had to stop doing my favorite martial art, aikido, and switch to tai chi due to multiple joint issues. My chronic R knee arthritis meant that I had to stop to sit and rest twice during each hour long tai chi class to relieve the pain.

Ten months after my R TKR I resumed tai chi and had no trouble doing a full hour. I could walk over three miles nonstop for the first time in probably 20 years.

It's a wonderful gift to receive and rehab these new joints!
 
@Mailman you've had some really outstanding short term recoveries and as you're finding out you continue to see improvement.

This past July was my 5th Hipaversary and it still amazes me everyday how much better I feel. I still occasionally surprise myself by doing something that would have been impossible in the months prior to surgery. I love that I can get on the floor with my grandkids and play Legos or whatever.
 
For best results post-op It seems that its really important to use the new joints just enough to maximize recovery but not too much. Tai Chi, yoga, Pilates, resistance training, essentially anything short of contact sports will be best until full recovery. Right?

But when is that?

IOW the qestion I have is at what point in recovery following surgery would it be no worse, to have a THR compared to original joint if one were to take a fall or have some other accident. I spoke with a nurse practitioner yesterday about this who said this would depend on bone density.

I was thinking, regardless of bone density there would be a time at which the extra risk is no longer a factor insofar as healing and musculature is essentially as good as it's going to get, and at that point the question might only be is an artificial hip more or less susceptible than a natural hip to accidental damage, therefore requiring placing some limits on some activities going forward.
 
Great to see you posting Mailman!
I felt very good at one year post op. I was able to hike & walk 3 miles a day. I did have a setback that Spring going back to work in a busy restaurant that put me back on my cane for a few weeks.
Now Year 2 is amazing (going on Year 3)...I climbed mountains & traversed rock scrambles on way down mountain side all with no repercussions.
My life has totally returned to "normal." I can complete all my daily activities (walking close to 6 miles some days when I dog sit).
I just finished fall cleaning my entire upstairs living area taking down curtains, washing, ironing & putting back up. Now my back hurt at the end of the day but not my hip! LOL!
I didn't have bad hips, I fell & fractured my hip necessitating the surgery, but I had aches & pains long before & still have a few aches & pains & I stop & relax & grab my ice pack.
Is an artificial joint better than actual joint? Probably not but my hip appears to be quite stable & happy, I found it took time for it to "settle" into place if that makes sense & other body parts like knees & shoulders had to make the adjustment along with the hip. So the hip ran the show & everything else caught up!
Hang in there!
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
is an artificial hip more or less susceptible than a natural hip to accidental damage,
In the words of my surgeons PA, your artificial hip will never match the natural one you lost, but it does get pretty darned close. I'll take it, I'll take it :happydance:good enough for me after feeling 20 yrs older than my actual age for over a year of my life...before my THR.

Have a great anniversary Thursday, Mailman!
 
Day 4 was another down day. No pain or discomfort at all when at rest but when trying to walk there is intense burning pain localized at one spot mid thigh, near front facing and a second spot a little higher and more to the side. This just started yesterday. Before that I could get out of the house for short walks. Now I can hardly take even a few small steps. Would this be a traumatized nerve that decided to wake up? I have been following prescribed pain protocol of 1000 mg extra strength Tylenol 3x daily.
I have this pain and burning too. It is called Meralgia Paresthetica. My experience is recounted on my thread.

Sounds like you eschew many meds but if you are willing to take Gabapentin, it is helpful. I'm down to 1 or less 300mg tablet per day- usually in the wee hours of the morning and it tides me over through the waking up stiffness.

I'm two weeks out. PT knows about the symptoms and recommended desensitizing massage. So I have been in the hot-tub at the strongest jet for the past 3 days since my scar is healed enough now.

And I bought compressive thigh sleeves from Amazon which I am wearing along with a knee brace (since my knee is also kicking up since the surgery- I think that is d/t gait changes). The constant light pressure of the thigh compression relieves the symptoms entirely while I am walking.

Lidocaine patches, and icy hot from dollar tree are relieving. Icing and elevating is helpful. The condition is caused by compression of the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve (the surrounding tissues are traumatized). My doctor said the vast majority of anterior THR patients have this symptom for awhile after surgery. It is a sensory nerve and does not affect mobility.
Hi there,
How long did you have the MP for? Did the Gabapentin not make you sleepy? Thank you!
 
Welcome to BoneSmart, @Leaf500 Mailman hasn't been on the forum in a while, so you may not get an answer anytime soon.

If you would like to start you own thread to ask about this topic and receive personalized advice from staff, you will need to join our Insiders Club.

We have a two-level membership program. You are currently registered as a Basic Member. Basic Membership is very limited in terms of forum participation as it’s meant primarily for members who choose only to research and read on specific topics.

As an Insider, you will receive personalized support to quickly answer any questions or concerns you may have. We are a non-profit organization and the small subscription cost goes toward keeping BoneSmart available.

Best Wishes, and we hope to see you join the Insiders Club, so we can support you in your joint replacement journey.
 
Back
Top Bottom