TKR Where is this "Other Side" of which you speak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like good advice to me! :iagree:

You're right I went from 20 to 65 very quickly. Funny how you don't always see that for yourself. I think I'll spend as much of tomorrow as is possible, legs up, ice for the knees, ice for my tea and continue watching "Doc Martin" from Season 1. (I only just got into watching the show weekly this Spring.)

Thank You for reminding me to do what I very much need to do.
 
So, here's a question- after a TKR, is there any fluid in the joint anymore? And if you jump or do something where you're landing on your feet, is there anything to cushion the impact.
Of course there is fluid! It's called synovial fluid and produced by the synovial membrane which lines the capsule of the joint. As for cushioning, that's why they use plastic between the two metal implants.
I honestly am not sure how effective the Aleve is
It's very mild pain killer. gram for gram about 40% the strength of Tylenol. Plus it has disadvantages: NSAIDs, acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) differences and dangers I wouldn't take it if you paid me!
I think the Tylenol, elevation and ice help more with the swelling. I still take Norco (hydrocodone) at least 2x a day- morning and bedtime.
But how much Tylenol are you taking? 1,000mg is an effective dose but not more than 4 such doses in 24hrs.

Can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?
Please note the instructions in the smaller image

[Bonesmart.org] Where is this "Other Side" of which you speak?


[Bonesmart.org] Where is this "Other Side" of which you speak?
 
I'm taking up to 4 Norco 7.5-325mg daily plus 2 Tylenol 500mg. So my daily total for Acetominephine is 2300mg. I was taking 1 Aleve twice a day, but dropped it this past week. (I take additional medications that do not have Acetominephine in them.) Here's my daily med schedule:
-----
06:00- Neurontin (Gabapentin) 2 x 300mg, Cymbalta (Duloxetine) 2 x 60mg, Flexeril (Cyclobenzeprene) 10mg, Zestoretic (Lisinopril-Htzc) 20/25 mg, Norco 7.5 (Hydrocodone-APA) 7.5-325mg, Lyrica (Pregabalin) 100mg

12:00- Norco 7.5 (Hydrocodone-APA) 7.5-325mg, Glucophage (Metformin) 2 x 500mg, Prilosec (Omeprazole) 20mg, Tylenol (Acetominephine) 500mg

18:00- Neurontin (Gabapentin) 2 x 300mg, Flexeril (Cyclobenzeprene) 10mg, Norco 7.5 (Hydrocodone-APA) 7.5-325mg, Lyrica (Pregabalin) 100mg, Requip (Ropinirole) 1 mg,

22:00- Neurontin (Gabapentin) 3 x 300mg, Flexeril (Cyclobenzeprene) 10mg, Zestoretic (Lisinopril-Htzc) 20/25 mg, Norco 7.5 (Hydrocodone-APA) 7.5-325mg, Tylenol (Acetominephine) 500mg
------
Axert (Almotriptan Malate) 12.5 mg- As Needed for Migraine
Amoxil (Amoxicillin) 4 x 500mg- Premed for Dentist visit

The pain in the left knee is at DLF3-DLF4. It's a deep aching pain that usually begins in the early evening and continues to bed. Sometimes I shift the mid-day Norco to the late night. I'm still going up stairs one at a time on the right knee, not the left. Sometimes the ankle on that leg will ache also. (My sciatica is in the left leg caused by compression at L5-S1.)

My right knee hurts at CRF2-DRF2 while climbing stairs or standing up from a low seat. The pain stops when I'm done. I have tried the acupressure point massage on both knees. It's more effective on the right knee.

That's it! Thank You @Josephine.
 
I'm gonna take a stab at what's wrong because it just comes up so frequently. This forum consists primarily of people who are pretty active and want a lot out of their knees and knee replacements. As a result, many of us push our limits too much. You have admitted to this. We don't take into account the limitations of the soft tissues that have been through surgery. For a year or more, post-TKR tissues get cranky more easily than 100% healed tissues.

I'm guessing you simply have done too much for too long and have set up significant inflammation in the areas that hurt. Best thing to do right now is stop all exercises and take it easy. In fact, if after you rest for a couple of weeks and undertake some anti-inflammatory measures you get better, you'll have your answer right there.
 
hello, what you said sounds good to me and sensibly to me. helped a lot 11 months out. why don,t the surgents ever say anything. thanks you take care now.
 
@bmcm , just so you know, if you quote a post you can type your reply right below it in the reply box. So you get the quote and your comments in the same post.
 
So this is always one of my fears since the TKRs, falling down. I inherited my mother's wobbly ankles and took a header earlier today. Uneven pavement, left ankle roll and hit the sidewalk right knee first. I was meeting a friend for lunch and went down right in front of the door where two very nice women were exiting. I did ask for a bag of ice once I calmed down. I'm just over a year from my second TKR. I've been doing great, still pain and aches, but my knees are not top of mind any more. Until I took a tumble. My right knee is red and tender over the patella. Just wondering what I might need to be concerned about. My left foot is more sore and has a 1" bruise along the lower outside edge midway from toe to heel.

Other than that I want to let more recent visitors to this other side know that even though it seems glacially slow, progress is made and you'll wake up some morning and your first thought won't be ow my aching knees.
 
Ouch, Ruthanne. :console2: Falling is something we all fear, and most of us seem to do it eventually.

You've got some soft tissue injury, but it's not likely that you will have done the implants any damage. Rest, ice and elevate, to help your knee and foot feel better.

If the pain persists, or if you're worried, do go and see a doctor.
 
Hi Ruthanne @rjrober23, so sorry to hear about your fall. I truly understand. I am one for falling before and after knee replacement. I live off of major hills and my fear of falling is which I have done on a few occasions. I fell 4 months after RTKR on my right knee hard. I then fell 2 weeks later on both knees getting onto a bus in the city (did not step up high enough). Both really, really hurt. My ortho surgeon said these replacement knees can take a lot. All x-rays have showed that my knees were okay. But I do understand the worry. Hope you are feeling better real soon. Take care of yourself. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Hi Ruthanne and @chestnc I share your sentiments...My OS said the knees can take a lot just don't fall and break something...Of course 3 weeks post op I fell off of my motorbike when someone went through a stop sign...on my way to the ground I heard the words of my OS "Don't break anything" I stuck my legs straight out and let the bike roll on top of me (not the first time I went down) When I got up I drove right to his office and he wiggled my knees around and said your ok just dont do it again....the implants can take a good lick although not advisable.......Glad you are ok and thanks for the update.

Vinny
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think most of us take some type of fall at some point following our knee replacements. I know I've done a couple of swan dives onto concrete surfaces!!! The beauty of these new joints is how strong they are. You'll be okay once the soft tissue recovers. So try not to be fearful of damage. But....good advice above....if you do find yourself worried, go to your surgeon and have him take a look and ease your mind. That's better than worrying!!

A snowy day today in Kansas City!!! Hope you're all ready for the storm. Looks like we're going to get some serious winter weather this weekend.
 
Hi @vinny, oh my that sounds like a really dramatic fall. My, My... Glad you are ok. Living proof that these total knee replacements can take a tickin' and keep on lickin'!! I see you are in Bermuda, I have to say I am jealous especially this time of year. More snow and ice expected in this area here. Hope all is well with you @rjrober23. Take care of yourself and no more going oops boom.
 
Thanks for the reassurances Everyone. Yes I do believe it's soft tissue injury. I've been icing and elevating, using arnica gel and taking Aleve. It took a couple days for the bruising to really show up, now there are many colors. I don't think I hit the ground with my left knee, but it's been achey. I rolled that ankle and probably did a little twisting. Otherwise all is good. I actually go up and down steps like a normal person these days. A bit uncomfortable sometimes, but manageable.
:)
 
Glad you're recovering from the fall. Be kind to yourself and keep spoiling yourself for a bit longer.

Falling is much more of a fright as we get older. When I see how my grandchildren fall down and bounce straight back up again, I admit to being a bit envious. I've had a couple pf non-injury falls since my knee replacements and they really shook me up.
 
Been swimming, knees feel stiff and odd in the water. Right knee is still puffy from fall. It feels like I skinned my knee on the inside, under the skin. Feeling achey in general tonight.

It's amazing how different things are now. It's not quite 2 years since my right knee replacement and a year and a half since the left. Still aches and pain sq, but able to be so much more active. I actually use stairs like most folks and go up and down many times. A far cry from when I would come down in the morning and not go up until bed. I've lost over 30 lbs, just from increased activity. I'm just on this other side, but things look better all the time.
 
I can sit cross legged, Indian style!!:yes!: Thought that might never happen again. Of course I'm sitting on the bed and won't do that for long. Didn't think about it, just sat down to do something and Voila! Anyway, thought I'd post as a sign of hope to those earlier in their recovery. :cheers:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom