TKR Where is this "Other Side" of which you speak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh poor girl! I feel for you. My back was playing up today so I visited my chiropractor - all better now! He's a miracle worker!
 
3 months exactly! So time to take stock; I see Surgeon in 2 days.

(Back strain resolved, it only took 3 days flat on my back until I could walk without listing to one side like a ship in a stiff gale.)

Pain: Hovers in the 3-6 range. Still requires pain meds, if I want to feel ok and get stuff done. It keeps me up at night without medication. Mostly deep ache above and/or below the new joint. Some achey pain down to the ankle and around it. I also can have cramps in my thigh or calf and gnawing pain down the back of my leg from Sciatica. My sciatic issues go back a number of years and some of my medications are related to that. I've been taking Lortab or Norco several times a day for a long time.

Medication: 3 weeks ago I was on Norco 7.5/325 (7.5mg Hydrocodone/325mg Acetaminophen), 1-2 every 8-6 hours. I took 1 every 6 hours (4 pills/day) with either 1 Aleve (Naproxen) or 1 Tylenol (500mg, which is now ILLEGAL to sell in Missouri). Anyway, this protocol was working well for me and some days I only took pain meds 3x.

I also take 10mg Flexeril (Cyclobenzeprene) for muscle spasm, 300mg Neurontin (Gabapentin) x 7 pills total divided over 2 meals and bedtime, Lyrica 100mg 2x, Cymbalta 60mg x2, and 1 mg Requip (Ropinirole) for Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS). Sheesh! :rolleyes:

2 weeks ago Surgeon's office cut Norco to the 5mg/325mg, same frequency and number of pills. I thought it would be OK. Knee thought otherwise. Then my back went sideways, so I took them the way I had them prescribed in the past for the same. My GP was not in the office Wednesday. She was on Thursday, but wanted to see me before changing or prescribing narcotics. I was OK with the delay as my back was improving and I could at least walk straight and sit with minor discomfort. Saw her yesterday (Monday), we chatted and she suggested going back up in pill strength. She also wanted to clarify I wasn't going to continue to ask for medication from the surgeon. I figured since they had reduced my pain medication to what I took before any knee issues and likely will release me for several months or longer, it made sense to switch my medication back to my GP. Whew!

The good news for me is I have the right medication that I can take and reduce the frequency as my knees heal. Refills are set at 30 day intervals instead of 13 days and I have 5 months of refills.:yes!: I also won't have to run the gauntlet of asking for refills from the Surgeon's staff and get lectures on "not taking it so often, because we can't keep giving this to you". :no-fin:

My GP also suggested some massage for my back and neck. Which makes me wonder, when can you get massage on a TKR?

So this went rather long, what with all the med info. As far as activity and mobility, stairs still hurt on the right leg, same tearing burning pain that hasn't changed. Standing up from the sofa or armchair hurts much the same. Getting out of my car is still no fun, it's a compact with bucket seats. (I almost have DH agreed to a new one that is taller and easier on my back and knees.)

ROM on both knees is about what it was before surgeries. These days my main impediments to increased ROM are my own fat thighs and calfs. I can put on my socks and tie my shoes, so it's fine. Left knee still gets very warm to the touch and sometimes feels tight and swollen. I try to ice and elevate at least a couple hours a day. It often feels swollen and tight first thing in the morning, which I didn't expect.

I'm not there yet, but it's getting closer!
 
Flexiril is great stuff. I had that when I threw out my back once.
 
Pain: Hovers in the 3-6 range. Still requires pain meds
My GP also suggested some massage for my back and neck. Which makes me wonder, when can you get massage on a TKR?
As far as activity and mobility, stairs still hurt on the right leg, same tearing burning pain that hasn't changed. Standing up from the sofa or armchair hurts much the same.
About describes my experience at 3 months. and I supposedly had a 'stellar' recovery! You're actually doing better than you think! :thumb:
 
I think I was about four months when I first had leg massaged. She was very light on knees at first , just gradually increased the pressure. It was money well spent, not sure if it helped my knee , BUT, it helped me!!
 
Four months and counting for the second, closing in on a year for the first. Improvement is incremental and seems slow. However, I know I'm improving because I don't think about my knees as much. I don't need pain meds as much or as often. Does it still hurt? Well, Duh! My first TKR still hurts. I'm trying to switch to using both legs going up stairs. Still coming down on one. The changes are slow, but they are changes, so that's good.

I do have a lot of clickety clickety in both knees. I'm wondering about lateral movement in my left knee. I've got pretty loosey goosey ligaments it seems, so I wonder what the normal range is?
 
Your ligaments are not supposed to be lax. When the knee is installed, the ortho has to make sure your knee is snug when it's straight and bent. The TKR is not complete if there are lax ligaments, and they have ways of dealing with those. And clicking doesn't mean it's loose.

But say more about your lateral movement. I have that too in my TKR. That knee bends toward the other knee when the legs are flexed. Not a huge problem, but not a small one either.
 
When my ortho has checked my knee by holding parts of my leg or knee and bending or trying to move it, he seems quite satisfied. I wouldn't call my ligaments lax and my knee joint doesn't move sideways. I guess I'm thinking of how you can swing the lower part of your leg (like doing the Charleston :cheers2:). My husband thinks when I'm lying on the sofa bouncing my lower leg, which I do when not feeling well, that I'm hurting something.

I read the article on NSAIDs and have been taking them for a long time (daily since 2008). I think it's time to only use the Tylenol. Will this have any major impact on inflammation?

Also, at four months out, how many times and how often should I be icing and elevating. It's easy to forget, since my knees aren't at the top of my mind. Although, my awareness shifts dramatically when I'm lying in bed at night. :sleep:
 
At four months you're not out of the "war zone" of recovery. Your soft tissues are still pretty touchy and get inflamed easily. That's what the ice is for. Therefore, ice on an as-needed basis. Your knee will let you know whether you need to ice more and the effectiveness of your efforts.

Do you still take narcotics for pain? It's possible that if your knees become more noticeable at night (pain is like that!), a narcotic pain pill or tramadol at bedtime might be just the ticket.

I am 62 and don't take anything for pain because nothing works, not even 800 mg ibu or 1,000 tylenol. I target my efforts on overall health: exercise & diet. But, amazingly, even though I was on regular percocet for 6 months, I can take the edge off moderate pain with 1/4 percocet! Which I did at bedtime the day I slipped and hyperflexed my knee. (BTW it was my knee that told me to take the medicine!)
 
I do have a lot of clickety clickety in both knees.
I still do and I'm 5 years out next week!
I read the article on NSAIDs and have been taking them for a long time (daily since 2008). I think it's time to only use the Tylenol. Will this have any major impact on inflammation?
Do you have a lot of inflammation?
Also, at four months out, how many times and how often should I be icing and elevating. It's easy to forget, since my knees aren't at the top of my mind.
Be guided by your memory. If you forget then it's probably time to .... umm ..... forget! :heehee:
 
:thud:So here I am one year out on the first TKR and 6 months out on the 2nd. People tell me I'm moving pretty well. I'm starting to take interest in my life again. All seems good, but boy have I been hurting lately. I mean achey around the knee and my left calf feels permanently crampy.

The weather didn't help, it was warm, hot even and then the temps went back down into frosty territory, now we're back to sticky sweaty weather. Just makes me cranky.

I've got tired of the pain in my right knee (the 1 year old joint) when I go up or down stairs. So I tried for a few days to use the left leg in a more normal fashion. I think that's just led to a jump in pain. It certainly hurts on the stairs. Tough choice, which leg do I use or both. The right one has never had a chance to really heal. This hot sticky weather makes me feel like there is more swelling. That stiff knee sausage feeling. So I'm staying with the ice. :ice:

Going on a short trip to Baltimore, will probably do more walking. A friend suggested taking my hiking pole, since we'll be doing some touristing and taking a side trip to Philly for the Art Museum (and my sister). :hiking:
 
Update. Had a great trip back East, visit family, Art museums, D.C. Stuff- Smithsonian, National Mall, Veterans memorials, etc.

Lots and lots of walking. My knees both cried "Hey!". In some cases it was too much, so I took one day and rested. My Aunt & Uncle live in Federal Hill in an old row house, which they've renovated and put in an elevator. Yay! I made full use of it. Still all the walking and sometimes long sitting (flight to Baltimore, drive to Washington), made for very sore and stiff knees.

I start teaching summer term tomorrow, it's going to be tough. Icing, elevation and regular schedule of meds today. (And probably all week, when I can.) I hope there's a day when my knees don't hurt constantly and I can go up and down stairs without pain. I hope?
 
Today, ow, ow, ow! :zzz:I'm tired too. Summer term started 3 days ago. I've been standing and walking on hard concrete. My knees are both really unhappy and painful. By the time I drive the 30 minutes home, I can barely get out of the car or go up the stairs (not that stairs are a piece of cake anyway.

The pain in my left leg, most recent TKR, is below the knee in the bone and also migrates down to my ankle. My right knee is more generalized above and below. L2 D/E
My sciatica is acting up something fierce.
 
Ouch! How long is the summer term? Can you sit more? I know dumb question, like you haven't thought of that!


4/1/2014 TKR
 
Better this week, getting back in the groove, not so tired. I can sit here or there, usually when I'm discussing sketches or ideas with individual students. I forget how much energy it takes to teach! Days I have a lot of process demos to do are the most tiring. That will be this coming week. Class meets 3 days for 4 hours each day. I know it's a half schedule, but we have to keep the pace up as summer term is so short.

So elevation helps and ice packs plus my usual meds- Aleve, Norco, etc.

r
 
@rjrober23 Do you find Aleve works? It used to for me for the arthritic pain but when the shots and it stopped working is when I knew I had to get something else done and went for the TKR. Since surgery I have not noticed Aleve helping much at all and have stuck with the Tylenol.
 
:yawn: I honestly am not sure how effective the Aleve is. It seems like my knees are more swollen when I don't take it, but maybe I imagine that. :chinstroke: I think the Tylenol, elevation and ice help more with the swelling. I still take Norco (hydrocodone) at least 2x a day- morning and bedtime. Some nights the past few weeks, I take the Norco a second time, if I wake up and it's about 6 hours.

The knees are really cranky tonight. Hurting today just walking and continuing to ache when I sit down. Teaching a college Art course in Metals & Silversmithing means most of the time standing on concrete in tough, sturdy shoes. It's lots of demos on equipment, constant discussions, questions, helping students with tools or equipment. The last two days, I'm wondering if I have the stamina to continue teaching. A studio classroom is a pretty loose affair, not very quiet and abuzz (or a-bang with hammers), torches, grinders, drills, sawing, vent fans going. Organized chaos or maybe chaos with a purpose.

So, here's a question- after a TKR, is there any fluid in the joint anymore? And if you jump or do something where you're landing on your feet, is there anything to cushion the impact. Isn't that part of what knees do? These questions occur because a couple times the past few days I've slid on the slick concrete floor and arrested my almost fall, which was kind of jarring on my knees. You know how sealed concrete can be slippery from the sweeping compounds they use to clean up the floors. It got me wondering about how my new knees function differently from healthy knees. :scratch:
 
I'm going to tag @Josephine so she can respond to your question.
 
I don't know what's up with my left knee, it's at 6 months or so. It's been hurting constantly the past couple days, right across the knee below the patella. Aching and sometimes sharper pain. :sigh:
 
Well, I have to say looking back at the past several weeks, you've been pushing those knees pretty hard. I'm not surprised they are hurting some. You know, even though you're 6 months out, you still can tax the soft tissues of your knees with all that standing, walking and general up and down activity. I think your best bet is to try and slow things down for a few weeks, take pain meds and ice your knees when they hurt.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom