TKR When oh when oh when

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not think I've aggravated my knee. It did seem better the past two days. I'm afraid to say that!

@EalingGran, you were definitely doing too much! Try to buy things that don't need to be ironed! :)
 
Healing is still happening, so thankfully you’re open to doing whatever helps you get through, within reason of course. :wink:
I hope you find comfort soon and enjoy a nice holiday weekend, Jammy!
@Jammy
 
Aww….you’re so welcome sweet lady. It is my pleasure! :friends:
 
Howdy gang. It's been a while. Has anyone seen their knee dragon lately? I think mine is resting, but I do have a lot of stiffness. I no longer walk like the fashion model on the runway, with big strides. I'm more like my 90-year-old neighbor. Oy! My latest secret worry -- stop! Nothing on BoneSmart is a secret here--is a long-held concern that my surgery leg is a bit shorter than the other. For crying out loud! Last time I saw my surgeon I even told her about this worry. And her response was, Oh, pooh pooh. That it wouldn't happen because she's just opening a flap on my knee and then I just about got sick thinking of the flap thingy and couldn't hear any more. No one, as far as I know, ever measured my leg to get a true "before" and "after." So how can she be sure? And secondly, she has, ahem, not told the truth before. As in, "You'll be almost back to normal in 6 weeks." Did she maybe say months and I heard weeks? I don't think so. My hearing is fine. Just not my short leg.

Also, even though I have stiffness more than pain, I'm still having some pain and take 1/4 tramadol almost daily lately. All I can say is, do you see the title of my post? WHEN OH WHEN OH WHEN??? It's ridiculous!
 
If it reassures you I haven't heard of anyone whose leg is shorter after knee surgery although I know altered leg length is not that rare after hip replacement. But I know what you mean about worrying. I still can't quite believe that it is normal for my knee to be warmer so long after surgery. I am seeing my surgeon in a couple of weeks and will seek reassurance. This recovery is a long haul. My latest is hip pain on the other side- probably due to some residual walking asymmetry. But suspect at some point I will need one or both hips done. I lurk on the hip forum to get more information.
You are still pretty early on though and I have definitely seen some improvement in the last month or so. Keep plugging on!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Happy Monday!

Through a quick online search you will find many references to warmth post op which can last for months.
Warmth is a sign of inflammation, which is typical after surgery. Your body heals by bringing blood flow to the area with healing cells. It will take several months for this process to complete and until then, there will be swelling and warmth around the operated knee. I hope that is reassuring news. Have a great week!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes you feel like your legs are uneven because as you're recovering you have a slight difference in your extension. Also you're learning how to walk without compensating for the bad knee so it can feel weird for a while.

My first knee stayed warm for quite a while, but it gradually diminished and went away.
 
@kneeper - Thank you for the info and I'm glad to know your warm knee eventually went away. And became... normal feeling? Since you've had two knee replacements, you should know! I agree that I am still learning how to walk properly.

Thanks, @Layla! You did the research for me! Well, I'm almost at six months post-op. My knee's warm but it's not too bad. Seems sensitive these days, yet numb feeling and stiff. Which makes no sense. Unless you read the TKR posts on BoneSmart! Everything makes sense here!
 
You’re welcome! My pleasure. I am learning right along with you. :)
Try to always keep in mind that you’re not quite six months into a healing process that can take a full year for some. Many have even commented on noticing improvement into their second and third years post op.
Hang in there, brighter days in your future.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Big Yay. I had my surgery on Dec. 20th, 2022. I want people who are suffering with pain and the blues to know it does get better. In fact, it gets pretty good.

For months, I really felt like I needed mental therapy more than physical therapy, it was so depressing and awful. PT was so rough I said "I Quit" and my knee thanked me for it. I honestly didn't feel that good until six months out -- I/my knee started feeling better just this month. Even now I have stiffness and pain sometimes behind the knee. When I signed up for the surgery my doctor said I'd be feeling almost back to normal by six to eight weeks post-op. Lies! I was in terrible pain in those days. When I last told her I still had a tight band feeling across the knee, she said that could take a year to feel better. So finally she tells the truth? Haha. I managed to go on a vacation just recently after asking my knee if she would be okay, and she said Yes, since I was going to Niagara Falls and she always wanted to go there. I did a lot of stairs, walking, museums, shopping, and picture taking. The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades. For me, it just took a lot more time than I was told it would take. Don't get discouraged.
 
Great post! Glad you had a good holiday.
It is wonderful when you can ignore your knee.
I had a full day today at an outdoor railway/ steam museum with my three grandchildren and their parents/other set of grandparents. It involved three hours in the car and being on my feet most of the day. I was absolutely fine with no stick/ no knee pain. My back is a bit sore though. Resting and putting the cool water cryocuff on just in case....
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your likes and your loves, everyone! What would I have done all these months without you all here for me? I feel so lucky to have found this place where I could ask, "Is this normal?" and the answer would be yes, you've all gone through similar kinds of problems/weirdness. And I wouldn't feel alone.

@EalingGran I was following you when you went on your getaway, and you gave me hope that I could do that sometime. I often relate to your posts, and this past week, MY back has been bothering me more than my knee also! The right side, which is the knee surgery side. Hope I don't need a hip replacement, yikes! Oh well, if I do, I will post all about it on BoneSmart. Ugh!
 
Wahhh. I seem to have bad back/hip pain on the right side, which is my surgery knee side. I keep wanting to massage it. Or get it massaged, like really hard. It is super sore. I won't call my doctor as I'm afraid she'll tell me I need to go back to the terrifying PT - patient torture. I won't. I did look it up on Dr. Google, and it says it's "Normal" to experience this. OF COURSE IT'S NORMAL! EVERYTHING WE SUFFER WITH OUR TKR IS NORMAL!

I ordered some Advil but wonder if other people have had this "side effect" post-surgery, and what did you do to help it? I have been active and I have been not real active, either way, it's still bugging me. Maybe it's from my hobbling? I thought a glass of Chardonnay would help, so I bought a bottle, after not drinking wine since my surgery of Dec. 20. Wheeee! Don't worry, dears, I just have had one smallish glass an evening the past three nights. Doesn't help it or hurt it, I don't think, but it does help me feel somewhat relaxed. It doesn't take much for me these days.
 
Is it possible for you to get some therapeutic massage? It was a godsend for my knee, but also for the other pains that cropped up in my body throughout recovery…neck, back, hip, etc. If your insurance covers it or you can pay out of pocket, it might really help with your hip and back pain. Look for ‘medical massage’, ‘post surgical massage’, ‘orthopedic massage’, ‘lymphatic drainage’, and/or ‘myofascial release’.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry to hear that you are joining me in the back/ hip club!
There are two possibilities and it could be both.
1. Like me, you may well have OA in other joints like your hips and vertebrae. My surgeon says I will probably need a hip replacement at some point in the future, based on the MRI findings ( deep chondral fissuring - areas of bone on bone). Although strangely the hip that is worst on MRI is currently pain free.
2. Even if, like me, you appear to be walking straight and not limping- you may well still be putting more weight on one side than the other post surgery. My surgeon thinks that is why my non operated side hip is currently playing up- even though that hip has only moderate OA.
I am trying to do back strengthening/ core pilates every day. I think I have mentioned that my pilates teacher has free classes on YouTube? Her 30 minute lower back one is not strenuous although there is some 4 point kneeling. I use foam cushions for the knees for that bit.
Have a look on Google for Katja pilates.
I think it is worthwhile doing pilates. My surgeon thought my back was pretty bad and should be more painful than it currently is........
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom