Guest viewing is limited

Hip Arthroscopy What's normal?<

I'm sure you'll start to feel better with a change of regime. I think you just went back to work to soon and have overdone things with 7 hours a day.

Let us know how you are getting along.
 
Being at work for 3 hour days is MUCH better than 7 hours... I'm able to go home around lunch time, use ice all afternoon, alternate postures, etc. I am also trying to massage the psoas muscle (not sure I've quite gotten it, but I can feel how the muscles in my abdomen/hip area on the right feel much more ridged and lumpy than those on the left). I am much more aware of my posture, as well.

I actually woke up this morning with zero pain--and I'm pretty sure the Tylenol had worn off. Pain started up after moving around a bit, but for a while, it felt pretty good.

I have my 12 week post-op appointment on Monday, July 9, so will see how this schedule goes for a couple weeks and then reassess at that appointment.
 
Hi @bethreads
Happy to read you're feeling less pain.
I hope it continues to get better and better.
Not long until July 9th. Please keep us updated.
A great day to you!
 
:egypdance: glad you are doing well.
Smart move transitioning back to work.
When I went back, I was able to take a two hour break in the day to go home as I live close by to ice, elevate, and nap!:yawn:
Hope all continues to get better and better.
 
:egypdance: glad you are doing well.
Smart move transitioning back to work.
When I went back, I was able to take a two hour break in the day to go home as I live close by to ice, elevate, and nap!:yawn:
Hope all continues to get better and better.

I really like that idea! I am going to ask about maybe another week or two of somewhat reduced hours (whatever surgeon recommends), and then after that, if I still need more rest, might request some work from home. My hip has been feeling better these last 3 to 4 days. I have been waking up mostly pain free, have been using ice a lot, especially later in the day, and only occasionally having pain in the joint that I'd say is a 3-4, and far less concerning to me than the pain I was feeling last week (pain in multiple spots, worse than pre-surgery pain). Haven't been sleeping well for a few nights since I have a cold, but have been able to nap and rest a lot (while watching a lot of World Cup matches!). :)

I am wondering if physical therapy will be necessary at some point--I now know it's way too early to be doing that, but maybe in six month or maybe a year post-op? Or just wait and see how range of motion and pain levels do, and general ability to do regular tasks? So many people talk about lengthy physical therapy after this surgery--like months worth. I just find it strange that my surgeon concurs with this community that physical therapy isn't necessary. Very thankful for both. <3
 
I just find it strange that my surgeon concurs with this community that physical therapy isn't necessary. Very thankful for both.
I think it is amazing and progressive in that many surgeons May be "getting it" that there is deep healing happening.
I started some mild PT 4 months out ...mostly gait training, stretching...some strength improvement.
I do not like the resistance bands or ankle weights. They caused muscle strains!

Yay for doing well!
 
Last edited:
I think it is amazing and progressive in that many surgeons May be "getting it" that there is deep jerking happening.
I started some mild PT 4 months out ...mostly gait training, stretching...some strength improvement.
I do not like the resistance bands or ankle weights. They caused muscle strains!

Yay for doing well!

I think once the pain is better under control, I'll just resume more normal activities as I'm able to comfortably, which for me is some light stretching/yoga each day (5-10 minutes). Gait training sounds interesting to me. I am of course still walking very slow and it still feels weird to me, and I take rather small steps. I am sure that will just improve with time.
 
You're doing beautifully!
Hope you have a peaceful week.:friends:
 
I hope stopping the Nsaids and just taking Tylenol is working for you. For me personally I have found Ibuprofen is a much better pain reliever than Tylenol. I have talked to a couple other people who say Tylenol is very ineffective for them as well. You just have to find what works for you.
 
I was always an ibuprofen fan, after all they agree supposed to be great for inflammation, right?
But it can interfere with blood clotting especially if you are taking aspirin, another NSAID.
NSAIDs can increase blood pressure. They reduce blood flow to the kidneys, meaning that they work less hard. In turn, this causes a fluid build up in the body. If there is more fluid in the bloodstream, blood pressure rises. In the long term, this can cause kidney damage.
Long-term or high-dose use of NSAIDs could also lead to ulcers developing in the gut, known as peptic ulcers. NSAIDs reduce the actions of prostaglandins, which reduces inflammation; however, prostaglandins also protect the stomach lining by helping it to produce mucus. In this way, NSAIDs leave the stomach open to the effects of acid.
People with asthma, diabetes, and heart disease also have high risk of issues with NSAID use.
Lots of things to consider!
 
It's now been almost five weeks since decreasing my work hours to three hours per day. I'm a little discouraged that I've only had about four days in a row with very low/almost no pain (until the end of day, and then very tired/sore), and when I returned to work on Monday, the soreness/stiffness returned earlier in the day. Sigh. I at least wake up with very little pain, only stiffness, and then that decreases.

This is a long road, and I'm also bummed that my request for disability insurance for this last five weeks has yet to be processed and is now going to "medical review." :/
 
I'm not familiar with your surgery or what was actually done. It sounds almost tougher than THR. Your disability insurance sounds like my company's previous insurance where you are back to work before you get paid. Lucky for me they changed a year ago and all of my claims were filed immediately after surgery and I was getting direct deposits after 2 weeks. I feel for anyone that has to return to work too quickly. If you fall under FMLA it's 90 days so you can heal properly.
 
I feel for anyone that has to return to work too quickly. If you fall under FMLA it's 90 days so you can heal properly.

I got paid for the original 8 weeks I was fully off work. Then I returned to work on June 13 full time, had a dramatic increase in pain, and so doctor recommended reducing work. Since the reduction in work, disability insurance has not processed the "new" claim, unfortunately, even though it's really the old claim, just continued. Hoping the medical review works out in my favor.

Also, FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) just protects your job for 12 weeks at your normal hours (I normally work 40 hours per week, full time, so 480 hours of FMLA). So I used up 8 weeks of that (320 hours), and then working partial days means my FMLA coverage is pro-rated for the time I'm not working. I may have to request an ADA accommodation after the FMLA coverage runs out, if I'm still not able to tolerate more work without increased pain. It's a bummer, but I'm willing to do what I need to in order to heal.
 
Good luck with ADA. You are correct with the 12 weeks and yes they do count every half day. You can read my thread and the info from the ADA I got.
 
I'm really struggling this week (week 16). Next week on Friday it will be four months (about 17 weeks) since surgery. I still have pretty significant pain levels as the day goes on. I have been waking up without pain the last couple of weeks, and morning is my best time of day, and then by afternoon it's ramping up (about a 5 or 6 out of 10) and evening is the worst (like 8 or 9 out of 10), typically. Many nights have ended in tears of frustration. Edited to add that my nerve injury is still very bothersome, and that also increases in discomfort throughout the day. I really hope it isn't permanent nerve damage. :(

I've had a few days where it didn't really get sore until bedtime, but I am still using ice most afternoons/evenings (like, pretty much constantly have an ice pack on my hip when I'm home). I had a series of about 3-4 days where it was very minimal pain, and I thought I was on the mend, but then I'd have a series 4-5 really painful days after the good days, so I'm still only working mornings for 3 hours. I'm officially out of FMLA as of today but put in an ADA request to continue with unpaid work time that has not been approved yet--so I'm sort of in limbo, but really can't see working more than half days until the pain decreases.

I'm getting disheartened, and hoping that things are continuing to heal and that maybe my case was just so severe, I am unique and this will just take longer to be fully without pain (or very minimal pain; I really just wanted to decrease my pain by about half from what I felt before surgery, but other than a couple hours in the morning, I am in much more pain than before surgery, which is a big bummer). It's very annoying to me when people imply that I "should be" better by now. Thankfully, no medical professionals have implied any such thing.

I see my surgeon again next week. It's been suggested by a friend that I should get a second opinion from another surgeon, but that doesn't appeal to me for a variety of reasons (I'd have to travel to another city; I do trust my current surgeon). At what point would others consider a second opinion?
 
Hi @bethreads
Sorry you're still struggling.
Have you looked at your activity level and does it includes exercises or PT?
Not sure how often or how long you're icing but Josephine recommends 40-60 mins per session, several times per day. Are you taking any OTC pain relievers?

I'd definitely consult with the OS, feeling worse now, at 17 weeks post op, than before surgery.
I've read often that many surgeons won't schedule second opinion appts until the patient is One Year post op.

I noticed Josephine's been tagged here before. If the issues you're suffering now are the same but have worsened, or are different all together, consider tagging her to weigh in again.
Best Wishes you find comfort soon.
 
Hi @bethreads
Sorry you're still struggling.
Have you looked at your activity level and does it includes exercises or PT?
Not sure how often or how long you're icing but Josephine recommends 40-60 mins per session, several times per day. Are you taking any OTC pain relievers?

I'd definitely consult with the OS, feeling worse now, at 17 weeks post op, than before surgery.
I've read often that many surgeons won't schedule second opinion appts until the patient is One Year post op.

I noticed Josephine's been tagged here before. If the issues you're suffering now are the same but have worsened, or are different all together, consider tagging her to weigh in again.
Best Wishes you find comfort soon.

Thanks.

I am not doing any formal physical therapy. I do try to stretch (whatever feels good; if it doesn't feel good, I don't do it) a couple times a day. The PT exercises I was doing are still too much, but the yoga poses 'cobra' and 'upward facing dog' feel good to me after I have been sitting too much. I am still taking Tylenol 24/7.

I was reminded this week by my husband that we know someone who had this surgery last fall and is still slowly recovering. I guess I need to keep it in perspective that it might take a year or so before this truly feels better. The nerve issue, especially, is slow to heal from what I've read. I am going to try to stay positive. :D
 
Hi @bethreads
Not sure what dosage of Tylenol you're currently taking, and you don't need to report back, but Josephine recommends 1000 mg four times per day. Not to exceed 4000 mg within a 24 hr period. Just an FYI.
I hope you have a good weekend!
 
Hello,

I read through most of your posts. My surgery was 7/13 so I don’t pretend to have much knowledge on the healing process. One thing I have noticed about my recovery since returning to work from home is that sitting in my office chair makes me sore more so at night, as you mention. I started popping up out of my chair every 20 minutes and it has helped. I also bought what is supposed to be a cushion for my car seat. Instead, I’m using it for my office chair. It’s memory foam. I think it helps a little with my sore butt muscles. Anyway, I wonder if you have a job where you sit a lot? Or you have an office chair your new hip doesn’t like?

I really hope you continue to heal. From reading other stories, we are all on our own timelines. Sending prayers and good thoughts your way :prayer:
 
Last edited:
Hi @bethreads
Not sure what dosage of Tylenol you're currently taking, and you don't need to report back, but Josephine recommends 1000 mg four times per day. Not to exceed 4000 mg within a 24 hr period. Just an FYI.
I hope you have a good weekend!

I'll try that. I have been taking 1000mg every 8 hours (6:30am, 2:30pm, 10:30pm) but I'll try shifting that during the day to every six hours. I really don't have any problem sleeping due to pain and wake up without pain.

I started popping up out of my chair every 20 minutes and it has helped. I also bought what is supposed to be a cushion for my car seat. Instead, I’m using it for my office chair. It’s memory foam. I think it helps a little with my sore butt muscles. Anyway, I wonder if you have a job where you sit a lot? Or you have an office chair your new hip doesn’t like?

I really hope you continue to heal. From reading other stories, we are all on our own timelines. Sending prayers and good thoughts your way :prayer:

Thank you! Just to clarify, I don't have a new hip--just a less impinged hip and some anchors in my labrum. :) I do have an office/desk job, and I'm sure my chair isn't the best. I have a pillow that I either use to support my back or which I sometimes sit on. I think it's when I bend beyond 90 degrees that stiffness and pain start to set in, which I do sometimes when typing a lot or working on some types of paperwork. I've thought about asking for a sit/stand desk and I might ask my surgeon about it at this week's upcoming appointment to see what he thinks and if that would be something he would recommend.

One thing I've been trying for the last couple days for the nerve injury is just gently rubbing or patting/pressing lightly on the nerves that get irritated, and that seems to calm it down. It's a very weird sensation, and I'm just trying to prevent it from becoming painful.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom