TKR What Did I Get Myself Into?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pleased with my new PT(finally found a happy medium)and had a good session today. Since I've got outpatient therapy now, that means getting dressed(and wearing shoes which I've worn maybe 3 times in 6 wks.)and putting on a face 3 times a week. :groan: He was pleased with my bending-104 but I've got to work a little harder at flattening and of course(the biggest hurdle)gaining confidence on a cane with a normal gait.
 
I am so glad you found a good OP PT. They are out there. I know you will get there. Good luck at the OS on Thur. It is kind of strange having to get dressed and shod for going out again and putting on the face. It felt really strange and tiring at first but it got me in the routine a bit and slowly for my return to work which I did gradually also- Working MWF for 4 weeks to give me time for more PT without exhaustion and to get back into the swing. Hang in there and keep us posted on your progress,.
 
It took a while to get a straight leg at PT. It happened though, so do be patient. When my 6 weeks of OP PT were finished, I still did the exercises that I felt I needed.
I just had my one year anniversary and it feels GOOD!
You really should buy new shoes to replace those that you wore a lot because now you will have a new gait.
Keep up the good work.
 
I personally LOVED that advice, Tim! It was great to have a real reason to buy new shoes!
 
I'm 7 weeks out. I saw my OS last Thursday. I complained about the hardware jiggling around and how this has me fearful of bending my knee whenever I walk. He suggested I buy a neoprene sleeve support. I did purchase a Futuro Comfort Lift Knee Support because I couldn't find neoprene. I also purchased wheels for my walker. I just wished I had done all this sooner! The wheels make the walker a lot easier to handle and I can go at a more normal pace. The support sleeve is helping me slowly break the habit of walking peg-legged. I only wear the sleeve when I'm walking. I think there may be hope for me yet! :yes!:
 
[Bonesmart.org] What Did I Get Myself Into?
A knee support and walker wheels---two little things that are making a BIG difference for you!!!!! And of course there's hope for you. You will be successful in your recovery, but as you well know, it's going to take TIME & PATIENCE. And you've got both.


Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] What Did I Get Myself Into?
 
[Bonesmart.org] What Did I Get Myself Into?
A knee support and walker wheels---two little things that are making a BIG difference for you!!!!! And of course there's hope for you. You will be successful in your recovery, but as you well know, it's going to take TIME & PATIENCE. And you've got both.


Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] What Did I Get Myself Into?

THANKS! :)
 
I had to concentrate while walking, I found I was walking straight legged, (using a cane), if I didn't focus. My knee felt very tight at 5 weeks as it was so swollen and I thought the muscles would never relax. Be patient and listen to what your knee is telling you. I am 4 months out and feel 'almost normal"....still tight but thankful the pain has gone. Everyone heals at a different pace, don't expect too much at this early stage, try to think positive, and take care. :)
 
Wow Delaware girl! I see in your signature that this is your second. Hope it's the charm! Hardware jiggling... cant imagine how that must feel. Your OS sounds like a good listener. Thats a blessing. Had my first 6 months ago. Putting off second until I fall in love with the first. Recovery was pretty routine until it wasn't. Have lots clunking and swelling. OS suspects scar band catching on implant. Had MRI yesterday. Get results next week. Is this similar to your left? Synovial sac...would love to learn more about your experience. Will understand if you would prefer to look forward and not back.
 
I had to concentrate while walking, I found I was walking straight legged, (using a cane), if I didn't focus. My knee felt very tight at 5 weeks as it was so swollen and I thought the muscles would never relax. Be patient and listen to what your knee is telling you. I am 4 months out and feel 'almost normal"....still tight but thankful the pain has gone. Everyone heals at a different pace, don't expect too much at this early stage, try to think positive, and take care. :)

Exactly. The muscle at the bottom of the patella is still really tight and the bone that's on the lower lateral side hurts too when I try to walk properly. Today, the PT tried walking me on a straight cane but that wasn't very good because I have a balance problem due to very, very poor eyesight in my right eye. Last year, I had a retinal detachment(I know, I'm a walking wreck lol)that never healed properly and that is throwing my balance off. I feel better when I use a quad cane.
 
:)
Wow Delaware girl! I see in your signature that this is your second. Hope it's the charm! Hardware jiggling... cant imagine how that must feel. Your OS sounds like a good listener. Thats a blessing. Had my first 6 months ago. Putting off second until I fall in love with the first. Recovery was pretty routine until it wasn't. Have lots clunking and swelling. OS suspects scar band catching on implant. Had MRI yesterday. Get results next week. Is this similar to your left? Synovial sac...would love to learn more about your experience. Will understand if you would prefer to look forward and not back.

No problem. :) It was a hellish nightmare. You'll KNOW something is definitely wrong! It took me 9 months to finally convince an OS that there was a very BIG problem going on here. The OS that performed the TKR and the PT, basically told me I was nuts and denied that anything was wrong and accused me of NOT wanting to get well. Thankfully, I met an OS that knew what was wrong when I described the problem and he was able to correct it with outpatient surgery. I was perfectly fine after another 3 months. I didn't need any additional PT because after that, everything fell into place on its own. :)What would happen was, every time I would toe-off to walk or straighten my knee(even when I was sitting)or bend it to sit down, I would get a sharp catch that would send me reeling. This is why I put off doing the second one. Good Luck with your MRI results!
 
Has anyone that had or has ITB issues, have lower back pain? I'm in such pain now that I'm debating going to the ER when my husband gets home from work. I can hardly walk right now.
 
It took a while to get a straight leg at PT. It happened though, so do be patient.
Great point---do not try to outwork your knee---the ROM and the flexion will come---all in due time. You are on your knee's schedule now, and you will get everything when the knee decides to give it to you...
 
I am so sorry to hear that you are having such pain and discomfort. Unable to give you advice, since I have not had these problems.
Wishing you the best and hoping for comfortable days ahead and restful evening.
Take care and I hope tomorrow is a better day,
 
wow Delaware, sorry to hear you are in so much pain....what are ITB issues?
 
I am so sorry to hear that you are having such pain and discomfort. Unable to give you advice, since I have not had these problems.
Wishing you the best and hoping for comfortable days ahead and restful evening.
Take care and I hope tomorrow is a better day,
Thanks:)
 
wow Delaware, sorry to hear you are in so much pain....what are ITB issues?
The fly in the ointment right now is, tightness along the lateral side and bottom of my knee when I try to walk properly. I haven't been measured lately to know the exact numbers of ROM or flattening but I can tell they're definitely improving, especially the bending and my swelling has really come down. I do great on everything at therapy except for what I'm really suppose to be doing...walking, at least with a straight cane. If I could just convince my PT to let me try pool therapy, I think that would be a huge benefit. My back seems to be improving, I'm glad now that I didn't go to the ER. I think I pulled a muscle picking up my 18lb cat(avatar)on Sunday.
 
Lifting weights can do that to your back. :groan::snork: good to hear it's improving. I found swimming/pool therapy to be the best thing for me. Have been wading waist deep, bending my knees up while kicking doing backstroke stretching and generaly trying to get some fitness back doing what I call Aquaerobics. It's given me a lot of strenght back without weight bearing. Great that the swelling has come down too, I found that to be very restricting. Keep positive and take care.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom